So, this mental Saudi event coming up...

David

On 01/05/2018 at 5:25 AM, big7thletter said:

But it would have been nice with a few others that weren't there too like surprise entrants, HBK, Christian, Big Show, Kane, Rikishi etc.

Im sure Rikishi would have gone down brilliantly...

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They fairly blazed through some of those matches in minutes. I guess they have to with so many matches on the card. Tripper and Cena had a solid opener. Some of those near-falls were brilliant. It was quite funny that Reigns still didn't get any pops, but I hate that cage matches can end by pinfall or submission.

Going forward from here how do Brock's opponents sell the F5? Are they still going to stay down to a single one or are they allowed to start kicking out of them again?

Daniel Bryan put in a hell of a shift.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Looks like those jokes of a ‘Greatest Survivor Series’ and a 25 vs. 25-man match may not be jokes after all…

They tried for years to get away from the Survivor Series name and gimmick. This would actually be a good way to acheive that. Making it a one-off show for the Saudis gives them a network special with an established name but allows them to loosely book a load of big tag matches meaning they give nothing away and it takes next to no thought. They can then introduce a new November PPV that they make the focus of TV and no-one expects a big tag match for no reason.

I’d been fine with that. Didn’t they try to replace Survivor Series a couple of years back? Only for the Twitter brigade to cry “you can’t do that! It’s one of the big 4, what about it’s history~!? PG SUX #cancelwwenetwork”

The SS concept has been dead for years, you pretty much get one big elimination match main eventing the show, with maybe another one on the undercard to get others on the show/keep that vocal minority of the crowd happy

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Survivor Series concept was built on what a spectacle it was to see big stars teaming together, and combinations of wrestlers sharing the ring that you wouldn't see for the rest of the year, outside of maybe the Royal Rumble. Nowadays, every fucker's fought every other fucker, and the main eventers are in tag matches together every week anyway, there's no novelty to it - especially when they do stuff like Bragging Rights and have big eight or ten man matches a month before Survivor Series anyway!

They probably could redeem the concept by adding a bit more weight to the matches in terms of what anyone gets out of them (as much as the story was a damp squib afterwards, the Authority vs. Babyface Superfriends match where Sting debuted was great), or just gimmick them up a bit more with each team having their own nickname again like in the old days. But as it stands, it's a fairly useless gimmick surviving on legacy alone.

23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, the Survivor Series concept was built on what a spectacle it was to see big stars teaming together, and combinations of wrestlers sharing the ring that you wouldn't see for the rest of the year, outside of maybe the Royal Rumble. Nowadays, every fucker's fought every other fucker, and the main eventers are in tag matches together every week anyway, there's no novelty to it - especially when they do stuff like Bragging Rights and have big eight or ten man matches a month before Survivor Series anyway!

They probably could redeem the concept by adding a bit more weight to the matches in terms of what anyone gets out of them (as much as the story was a damp squib afterwards, the Authority vs. Babyface Superfriends match where Sting debuted was great), or just gimmick them up a bit more with each team having their own nickname again like in the old days. But as it stands, it's a fairly useless gimmick surviving on legacy alone.

A gimmick I enjoyed as a kid with the Survivor series was in 1990, good guys winners vs bad guys winners. I was upset when they didn't do it again the next year.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The Raw v SmackDown tag at the 2016 Survivor Series that lasted almost an hour was brilliant as well. It left me thinking they had a great set of characters that all meshed together really well there if they could think of a way to script compelling TV around them. Just off the top of my head you had:

• Orton and Wyatt being loads of fun as a pair.
  • The Shield momentarily reuniting to Triple-Bomb AJ Styles through a table (should have led to Shield v Bullets at Mania 33!).
  • Roman Reigns spearing Shane McMahon out of the air causing Shane to fucking die.
  • James Ellsworth causing the otherwise unstoppable Braun Strowman to be eliminated.
  • Owens and Jericho being comedy bezzies.

The actual Survivors matches are still often great, the TV just often feels really contrived getting to them. And the inter-brand element means its very hard to follow up on them.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Back in the days of the first draft, I thought Survivor Series would've been perfect for it, because it suits the SD vs RAW dynamic. The format I thought would've worked if there was one World, one Women's World, and one Tag championship. Have a "Gold" match for the main event, where the winners (if there are more than one survivor at the end) then are eligible for a multiple man match the next programme to earn a shot at the World title. Have a similar one for the women's, and one for the tag. Maybe have a "Silver" match for the respective IC and US belts, but seeing as there'd be nothing to stop anyone on the losing team challenging for their own brand's respective midcard belt afterwards, I'm not sure how to make that work.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

While Vince may have been laughing all the way to the bank it seems that Al-Qaeda were not amused at all. Let's hope that they don't have the Network so they can't find out how WWE have portrayed Arab characters in the past. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/al-qaeda-saudi-crown-prince-wwe-cinemas-sinful-mohammed-bin-salman-yemen-a8379021.html

Yeah, a guy called Sal Siino, I think. His wife has an anti Muslim Twitter page. I think her deal is 'I'm Jewish and want rid of the Muslims before they kill all the Jews.’

She's now going after the HuffPost, blaming them for her husband losing his job after they inquired about her to WWE head office. It's been inferred that WWE knew about her but are denying all knowledge.

1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

It's been inferred that WWE knew about her but are denying all knowledge.

The chairman's good buddy and wife's boss desperately wants to ban Muslims from entering the country, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Archived