80s Bangers

bAzTNM#1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
43 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

That sounds AMAZING!!!!  It's a genre of music my friends and I have re-classified 'Hero Music'.

It's a really fun night, strongly recommend it. I think I might have referred to it as "Hero Music" too, on occasion.

This track really belongs in the 90s in terms of style, but it's 1989, so goes in here (to be honest, if we really look at culture in general, thinking in terms of specified, numbered decades is probably incorrect, as culture seems to shift either in terms of half-decades, or, if it's an identifiable ten-year period, it usually spans the former and latter halves of two decades - for example, I'd say that 1985 to 1995 has more similarities than 1980 to 1989 does).

Also, the model they chose in this to lip-synch to the real singer's vocals was fuggin' gorgeous.

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

A few weeks ago, I attended "Ultimate Power" in Camden - it's a night dedicated to (mostly) 80s power ballads and anthems, with a bunch of people on the stage with a big inflatable speaker deck handing out and pretending to play on inflatable electric guitars, mic stands, and saxophones. Lots of fun.

You can request songs on the night by tweeting the Ultimate Power account, and these requests are shown on a feed on a big projected screen. I requested the above track, and got it in short order. But the highlight of the night came when John Parr himself retweeted me!

That's really cool. The 1980s was a golden age for power ballads and anthems. I agree with John about the hero music label because power ballads have that inspiring/motivational quality to them, which were ideal for action movies. Playing a power ballad when the hero saves the day definitely fits too. Some more of my favorites

• Paid Members

I've bunged these in a Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/gmoney_242/playlist/5rcMcQC0LI417OTzatUdyu

A few I couldn't find on there:

Dave Lee Roth - Just a Gigolo

Rita Coolage - All time High

Patti Day - Right Before My Eyes

Voodoo Ray

Phil Collins - Separate Lives

Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom 

Wah! - Story of the Blues 

Skatt Bros - Life at the Outpost 

And a couple of others I can't remember now. 

Archived