2002 By The Quarter (January-March)

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Still haven't got a clue what was wrong with Steve Austin beating Hall at Mania 18 in the manner in which he was booked to do so, or what that has to do with Austin not wanting to work Jarrett in 99, Scott Norton or much else, apart from your bringing up Starrcade 97 which totally defeats your original point. Austin's "protestations" as you put it were based on him thinking that working Hogan, the Hulkster would find a way of overshadowing him, even in defeat. He was right. He fucked with Sting, he'd have tried to fuck with Austin.

• Paid Members

If the worry was that Hogan might have overshadowed Austin, he was probably right - he did the classic Hogan/Warrior post-match of getting in the ring and getting all his poses in after the match, so people were talking about Hulk more than The Rock at the end.

I mentioned in my earlier post, but nobody knew that Hogan had anything like the Rock match left in him. He'd been stinking it up in WCW for years, and was borderline toxic - if it hadn't been Wrestlemania, and hadn't been Toronto, I'm not even convinced he'd have got as insane a reaction as he did. There were so many questions, and so many variables, around that match - it's easy to say in hindsight it should have been Austin/Hogan, but I don't blame Steve Austin, or anyone else involved, for being in two minds about it.

• 4 weeks later...
Join us for the first in a four part series, dubbed "2002 By The Quarter". Looking at an extremely turbulent year in the WWF/WWE, we first break down January to March, hitting all the big talking points and breaking them down, discussing the return of Triple H as the top babyface, the debut of the New World Order, the struggling Undisputed Title run of Chris Jericho, WrestleMania X8 and the bizarre dynamic the company found themselves in, the growing discontent of Steve Austin and the launch of the Brand Extension, featuring the first ever WWF Draft show. All this and more within the space of three months, and of course we have comments from you, the loyal listeners! Check it out and let us know what you think!

Archived