Planning Wrestlemania 2019

kostan

• Paid Members

For those around Times Square, highly recommend Ruby Tuesday and Brooklyn Diner for food. Big portions with decent prices. Getting in wasnt too much of a wait either.

7 day Metrocard has already proven to be good value for money!

I’ve been here since Thursday. I’ll do a little blog about my stay so far.

Thursday I went to see Frozen on Broadway which was sensationally good! Then went up Top of the Rock and got some great views over NYC. Finally after being awake for 22hrs it was time for bed.

Yesterday morning I woke up to go to the 9/11 museum. You queue an hour to buy the ticket, then queue an hour to get in. It’s very surreal, standing in the spot directly underneath where one of the planes struck.

Then made my way to the Cena signing, happened to stumble upon Samoa Joe, and he was nice enough to oblige and take a quick selfie with me. After waiting for 3hrs I met Cena, and also had enough time to get you Takeover, which as everybody knows was incredible!

After this I headed back to Times Square to Dolph’s standup show which was good, apart from the surly service from our waiter.

Today I’m currently on the way to Coney Island to Luna Park, which as a theme park geek I just had to do!

• Awards Moderator

I saw someone mention they were affected by the blinding light malfunction at WrestleMania - reddit say you can email fanservices@wwe.com and they are providing compensation. For US fans it's been house show tickets, not sure what an international would get but if it were me I would definitely be pushing for a gesture of good will. 

Fanservices will give you tickets to any show other than Mania. I had an issue at WrestleMania 32 and got free Summerslam tickets last year (Summerslam itself & Raw afterwards - They said to let them know when I want the tickets and to what event and they honoured them when I decided to go New York in August). They will of course try and make you choose house shows/UK shows.

Edited by Briefcase

Mania week

It’s a been a fun week of pro wrestling. Loved it. Basically did everything I planned to do. The preparation paid off as it was all a walk in the park. I had great tickets for all shows and had good health throughout. I was thankfully pretty fit and focused at the shows. 

Successfully did the full loop of NXT/Mania/RAW/SmackDown. Plus New Japan, NHL, MLB and Wrestlecon. Dolph Ziggler standup was also fun despite the 18 dollar beers.

Transportation

Getting to the shows was easy. We were lucky not to be stranded at Mania. Public Transportation and Google Maps worked perfect. No need for a taxi or Uber.

The shows

WrestleMania was amazing. NXT was awesome. 

But the New Japan production in MSG was beautiful. Loved the setup, costumes, lightning and color scheme of the show. The white, pink, purple, red and yellow made the arena look like a painting.

Things I noticed

- Unfortunately New Japan didn’t use a mic below the ring. I wish they did as It does help in making moves feel more impactful in a big arena.

- The production of the NXT PPV was a lot more polished compared to New Japan.

- Madison Square Garden is white/beige inside, compared to the very dark Barclays Center. 

- Wrestling fans everywhere throughout New York the whole week. 

- Still tons of Bullet Club shirts in the crowds.

- Random weed smoke everywhere in New York. Someone was even vaping it during the NJPW show and nobody gave a shit. 

- The lightning in Barclays Center was distracting during RAW and SD. They aimed big giant spots at the crowd to make the arena look more packed and rich on TV. I get it, however the whole view from the seats was a big blur of foggy light. The lights were dimmed at NXT.

- They turned down the spots during 205Live because lots of people left. It made the arena look so much cooler.

Edited by LWOLeN

I loved my time in NYC. I would recommend that everyone does Mania once!

To follow from @LWOLeN's post above, I'd add...:

Transportation: I got the Port Authority bus back to Manhattan at the end of Mania. I gave it legs as soon as Becky won and didn't have that long a wait. That said, they could have done with more buses, there seemed to be thousands of people in the queue behind me.

Mania was awesome and the Hall of Fame was fun too. The Bret incident didn't affect the show at all, once it was all over. My only disappointment was the lack of a 'set' at Mania, all we had was the big titantron and the circular frame around the ring. Given how incredible it looked for 29, I was disappointed by it. Luckily, I wasn't affected by the spotlights during the Orton / Styles match.

Things I noticed:

The number of wrestling fans all over NYC, and how cool and friendly everyone was. I travelled on my own and ended up chatting to a lot of people. One of my favourite moments was in Times Square on Monday, a guy in a suit walking over to me, chanting 'New Day!' at me and just walking off as if nothing had happened.

I did the backstage tour of MSG, the tour guide quickly figured out that the group was a lot of wrestling fans (and two very bored looking girlfriends) and basically tailored the tour to squeeze in all the wrestling anecdotes and tales of Bruno Sammartino that he could.

The amount of grown men who bought and wore world titles.

Weed smoke - yeah, everywhere.

I met Dave Mastiff at JFK on the way home. He looked shattered but was a really cool guy and let me grab a picture with him.

4 hours ago, Grecian said:

I did the backstage tour of MSG, the tour guide quickly figured out that the group was a lot of wrestling fans (and two very bored looking girlfriends) and basically tailored the tour to squeeze in all the wrestling anecdotes and tales of Bruno Sammartino that he could.

His name wasn’t Brian was it? Sounded like Donald Trump?

1 hour ago, Mat said:

He was awesome! Had him rolling on the floor (literally), and demonstrating the matches. 

Yes! He did that for us too - favourite bit was him rolling over the foot of one of the bored looking girlfriends. She looked absolutely horrified, like he'd just killed a sackful of puppies.

21 hours ago, The Dart said:

Sat in JFK Airport.  It’s been a blast. 

Went to 15 wrestling shows in total (including Axxess) over a 9 day period.

A couple of times I thought I was dying from exhaustion.

Can’t wait to get home to my shitty normal life.

Wow. Must be somekind of record!

What was your favorite show/match?