Travelling to & around America with no experience.

Lord-Mountevans

Myself & three other wrestling fans are planning a "wrestling holiday of a lifetime", only one problem... None of us have ever been before or have any clue as to the best way to travel (one of our crew can drive but is not overly confident), We would dearly love good advice on any of the following subjects:

1, Flying to America & getting from the airport to our first port of call.
2, Accomodation.
3, Any shows, conventions, wrestling related shops, well pretty much anything wrestling related that we can fill in during dead time in between shows.
4, Places to avoid & any tips on safety.

Our planned trip is in its infancy, but this is the first draft of our bucket list:

2nd June GCW Tournament of Survival, Slaughterhouse Farm, New Jersey.

visit Matt Tremont's wrestling shop also in New Jersey.

Visit the ECW Arena in Philadelphia. 

Eat a Philly Cheese Steak. 

Visit the "Zubaz" shop. 

June 9th CZW Tournament of Death. Town's End, Delaware.

We intend to stay for two weeks, so it is the first half of June & we would like to avoid huge travelling time, with Philadelphia looking like a central location.

Literally  any constructive advice will be greatly appreciated on our quest for wrestling utopia :)

• Lord-Mountevans changed the title to Travelling to & around America with no experience.

I've done a few US trips and have always ended up booking flights and hotels as a package through Expedia. It's dead easy, just tell it where you're going from/to and when, and it'll throw up a list of hotels/hostels/guesthouses that are available during those times. The prices quoted include flights, accommodation and taxes, so you don't get any hidden charges (although it's probably best to check with wherever you're staying to see if they require any sort of deposit when you check in) and generally seems to work out cheaper than booking things individually. 

Public transport has been fine for me, purely because it takes the hassle out of worrying about the different driving rules and that sort of stuff. Plus, parking prices can be extortionate so it's nice to not have to think about those. You'll find that getting a bus or train is pretty much the same as it is in the UK. There are plenty of maps etc online so you can check stuff out before you get there (most cities have got some sort of transport authority which generally have route planners on their websites), and if you get stuck there's always someone around to ask for a hand. Keep an eye out for middle aged ladies, because they seem to go absolutely crazy for an English accent. Pretend to be lost and they might even pay your fare. 

Tripadvisor is a bit of a cliche but I've always found it to be really useful. Plenty of well-populated forums with pages dedicated to individual cities, so it's a great place to get advice from locals. Here's the Philadelphia page, for example. It's even got a list of FAQs on the side of the page which includes travel from the airport and getting around the city. Honestly can't recommend it enough if you're struggling to get started.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g60795-i113-Philadelphia_Pennsylvania.html

Safety-wise, you're not really any more at risk there than you would be in an unfamiliar city here. I've only once felt on edge, when a taxi driver couldn't be arsed waiting in traffic and pretty much told me to get out in what seemed like the roughest part of New Orleans. It probably wasn't that rough at all, but when it's getting dark, your phone's about to die, and all you can see is rows and rows of run-down wooden shacks your mind starts to play tricks with you... 

No idea if any of that is going to be useful for your trip, but it's a start innit.

1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I've done a few US trips and have always ended up booking flights and hotels as a package through Expedia. It's dead easy, just tell it where you're going from/to and when, and it'll throw up a list of hotels/hostels/guesthouses that are available during those times. The prices quoted include flights, accommodation and taxes, so you don't get any hidden charges (although it's probably best to check with wherever you're staying to see if they require any sort of deposit when you check in) and generally seems to work out cheaper than booking things individually. 

Public transport has been fine for me, purely because it takes the hassle out of worrying about the different driving rules and that sort of stuff. Plus, parking prices can be extortionate so it's nice to not have to think about those. You'll find that getting a bus or train is pretty much the same as it is in the UK. There are plenty of maps etc online so you can check stuff out before you get there (most cities have got some sort of transport authority which generally have route planners on their websites), and if you get stuck there's always someone around to ask for a hand. Keep an eye out for middle aged ladies, because they seem to go absolutely crazy for an English accent. Pretend to be lost and they might even pay your fare. 

Tripadvisor is a bit of a cliche but I've always found it to be really useful. Plenty of well-populated forums with pages dedicated to individual cities, so it's a great place to get advice from locals. Here's the Philadelphia page, for example. It's even got a list of FAQs on the side of the page which includes travel from the airport and getting around the city. Honestly can't recommend it enough if you're struggling to get started.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g60795-i113-Philadelphia_Pennsylvania.html

Safety-wise, you're not really any more at risk there than you would be in an unfamiliar city here. I've only once felt on edge, when a taxi driver couldn't be arsed waiting in traffic and pretty much told me to get out in what seemed like the roughest part of New Orleans. It probably wasn't that rough at all, but when it's getting dark, your phone's about to die, and all you can see is rows and rows of run-down wooden shacks your mind starts to play tricks with you... 

No idea if any of that is going to be useful for your trip, but it's a start innit.

Thank you so much, this will be a massive help :)

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

June 9th CZW Tournament of Death. Town's End, Delaware.

Then make sure your hepatitis A & B vaccinations are up to date before you go.

Archived