UFC on FOX: Poirier vs Gaethje - Apr 14

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I don't think its so much his chin starting to decline, although you never know. It's probably more to do with the fact he's fighting better opposition now than anything else. Dustin Poirier and Eddie Alvarez are world class. If they were in any other organisation they'd likely be the champion. Its always going to be the case that as you go up through the levels of competition, the chances of you getting caught are higher. It could be a bit of wear and tear as well, despite having a relatively young career Gaethje has been in a bunch of these wars now. He's definitely in that mould of a Wanderlei Silva or Diego Sanchez. Insanely entertaining to watch, but it's a punishing way to make a living. 

Basically, enjoy Justin Gaethje while you can. Because the way he fights, chances are he won't be having a very long career. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Basically, enjoy Justin Gaethje while you can. Because the way he fights, chances are he won't be having a very long career. 

He's openly saying that he's got 5 fights left before he's done.

Apparently he has a Human Services degree and wants to move into social work.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's a refreshing surprise. For some reason I had him down as one of those guys who'd probably fight until his brain turns to jelly, then still keep fighting years past that point. It's good to hear he's lining something up and has something to do after fighting. That's actually probably a big reason why a lot of fighters carry on too long. People always just assume it's because they can't give up the fame or being in the limelight or whatever, it probably is that most of the time but also for some it's probably just that they don't know anything else apart from training and fighting. In some ways it must be like coming out of the army and having to adjust to being a civilian again. Good to know Gaethje is thinking ahead in that regard. 

If he sticks to that '5 fights left' thing, I don't even really care where he is in the title picture or rankings and stuff. It'd be cool to see him get one crack at the belt but I'd rather just see him bag a couple of nice wins and then maybe have another couple more crazy type matchups to go out on. Gaethje vs Ferguson could be an awesome one for the future. You could always do Gaethje vs Sanchez or Lauzon or Miller. There's Gaethje vs Iaquinta or Felder or Pettis. Maybe Gaethje vs Cerrone if Cowboy drops back down to 155. And it's unlikely to happen but how wild would a Gaethje vs Nate Diaz fight be? So many great options. 

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Is Gaethje too small for a match with Lawler? 

I would think so.

Gaethje doesn't cut weight to fight at 155lbs. He could probably fight at featherweight if he really wanted to. In contrast, Lawler is a big welterweight, who used to fight at middleweight. 

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah that's a refreshing surprise. For some reason I had him down as one of those guys who'd probably fight until his brain turns to jelly, then still keep fighting years past that point. It's good to hear he's lining something up and has something to do after fighting. That's actually probably a big reason why a lot of fighters carry on too long. People always just assume it's because they can't give up the fame or being in the limelight or whatever, it probably is that most of the time but also for some it's probably just that they don't know anything else apart from training and fighting. In some ways it must be like coming out of the army and having to adjust to being a civilian again. Good to know Gaethje is thinking ahead in that regard. 

If he sticks to that '5 fights left' thing, I don't even really care where he is in the title picture or rankings and stuff. It'd be cool to see him get one crack at the belt but I'd rather just see him bag a couple of nice wins and then maybe have another couple more crazy type matchups to go out on. Gaethje vs Ferguson could be an awesome one for the future. You could always do Gaethje vs Sanchez or Lauzon or Miller. There's Gaethje vs Iaquinta or Felder or Pettis. Maybe Gaethje vs Cerrone if Cowboy drops back down to 155. And it's unlikely to happen but how wild would a Gaethje vs Nate Diaz fight be? So many great options. 

If the five fight plan is something he's sticking to then it makes a bit more sense how he fights, as he's maybe looking to earn as much money as he can before retiring. He maybe recognises that his chances of winning a title are slim (as they are for most fighters to be honest), and sees exciting fights that bring headline fights, fight of the night bonuses etc in the short-term as the way to get the most bang for his buck, so to speak.

I actually agree with him if that's the case, and can see his thinking now.

• Paid Members

I agree; it's always good to see when a fighter has something beyond fighting, especially as the nature of what they do can often render them incapable of doing anything more cerebral afterwards, dependent on their style. With that in mind, I hope Gaethje's style doesn't damage him too much; he could end up having to have his own social worker, if he's not more careful.

• Paid Members

Gaethje's a bit of an anomaly now, he's become a bit of an attraction fighter just 3 fights into his UFC career. Wand comparing him to Arturo Gatti is on point too. Even in defeat here it seems he comes out of the fight better off in fans eyes, people just loves the heart on his sleeve style. You just know if he could somehow combine the leg kicks and pressure with the threat of takedown he could go even further, he likely wont though, crazy bastard.

Archived