UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Awesome hype video from the UFC, Jimmy Smith & Joe Rogan are great hype men and Smith is versatile, the UFC got a great signing there. Although to be fair they aren't blowing smoke, both guys have easily the two best records at Lightweight and is the fight of the year by far, 25-0 Russian mauler Vs 12 in a row, current interim champion who has crazy BJJ who is willing to take risks. I know some think he won't but I feel Conor will fight the winner later this year and either way they are both awesome fights.

Smith & Rogan are both commentating with Anik, I know they are mates but hopefully they aren't too similar on commentary as for the big PPV fights I enjoy a top fighters view like Cormier or Cruz.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, if Khabib is able to do to Ferguson what he does to everyone else then the division is in deep shit for the forseeable IMO. Because nobody else at 155 is as equipped, on paper, to offer some kind of threat to Khabib in all areas. Fergie's ground game is lethal and he's dangerous from all angles.

If Khabib is able to take him down and do a Fedor vs Nog 1 - bashing Ferguson up on the ground while shrugging off his sub attempts like they're nothing - then I really don't see anyone else beating him for a long time because there's not really anyone else at 155 who has a) dangerous striking, b) pretty solid takedown defence c) awesome cardio, d) ridiculous durability AND e) a killer submission game. Most of the current lightweight fighters have one, maybe two of these qualities at best. Ferguson has all of them. If HE can't come up with an answer to Khabib then I'd say they're all pretty fucked. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, David said:

The only thing I can really see being the undoing of Khabib is his tough training techniques taking their toll. He's quite injury-prone, and as he ages those injuries will get worse.

it might, but without thinking too far ahead, if Khabib destroys Tony how far away from GOAT talk will we be? a string of title defences are missing obviously but there's been few who have had as flawless a run as him. He might nit have the resume yet to really put him in the convo. but you have to think he's up there.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

it might, but without thinking too far ahead, if Khabib destroys Tony how far away from GOAT talk will we be? a string of title defences are missing obviously but there's been few who have had as flawless a run as him. He might nit have the resume yet to really put him in the convo. but you have to think he's up there.

Oh, he's absolutely up there if beats Tony. Throw in a defence or two against the likes of Alvarez, or the winner of Poirier vs Gaethje or even McG if he has the nuts to step in there with him and it would be pretty hard to argue against him.

I'm a big fan of Khabib's. I would love it if he did become the GOAT in MMA. However, if pressed, I would bet against it happening. I get David's point. I think injuries will catch up to him. Lighter weight fighters usually have a limited shelf-like as it is. I don't think Khabib will have enough time to establish himself as the undisputed GOAT. GSP was on top for nearly a decade and amounted an astonishing resume in that time. I don't think Khabib can quite match GSP is those areas. 

What I think Khabib can do is establish himself as the best head to head lightweight of all-time. Maybe even the best P4P MMA fighter of all-time. He's going to have his hands full with Ferguson though. In a decades time, it's possible that Ferguson will be perceived as the Cro Cop to Khabib's Fedor. I'm not even ruling out a Ferguson victory in a few weeks time. Ferguson himself is one of the best MMA lightweights ever. That's no mean feat, given that lightweight has been a thriving division for years and homed many gifted fighters.

It really is a special match-up. I can't wait. 

• Paid Members

One of the things that interests me most about the fight is that as amazing as Khabib's grappling is, we really haven't seen him face someone who is as dangerous from the bottom as Ferguson. Khabib dominated Dos Anjos in the grappling, which was a ridiculous performance because we know Dos Anjos is a wicked ground fighter. But RDA has never really been one to work off his back. His success on the ground has usually come from top position. With Ferguson, he'll tie opponents up in knots from his back, and he mixes in strikes seamlessly with his submission game as well. 

I still see Khabib beating him, but I certainly wouldn't sleep on Ferguson. And Khabib can't afford to either. Ferguson is the kind of threat where one lapse in concentration could be all he needs. 

Also, I'm very interested to see how Khabib holds up in rounds 4 and 5, if it goes that long. He's never gone longer than 3 rounds, has he, unless I'm forgetting something. And with the pace he sets plus a history of tough weight cuts in the past, who really knows how he'll do over a 5 round fight. Especially against someone with an engine like Ferguson. 

Brilliant fight. There are so many questions and things to think about. 

• Paid Members

Tony's willingness to try things from his back could make it interesting but it could lead to him getting absolutely battered, Khabib kills guys who shell up and try and survive. Against a guy who opens himself up he could be even more devastating.

• Paid Members

True. It works both ways but as much as I can't stand him I hope Ferguson at least has enough success that it's competitive. If he can't make it a bit of a struggle then I'm not sure who can in the current lightweight landscape. I think McGregor has a punchers chance in the small window of time that they'd be standing, once it hit the floor he'd be fucked. Maybe literally if Khabib wanted to fuck him. At least with Ferguson, if (well, when) it hits the floor he's still got the tools to do something. Theoretically. I believe Ferguson is going to go for broke. Either it'll pay off and he wins or he'll open himself up too much and Khabib will just smash him to bits. Either way it should make the fight more entertaining as a result.

• Paid Members

There's something about how dominant Khabib has been in all his matches that I think legitimately could be the first three-weight champion in the UFC, especially when you consider how wrestling can be very effective against larger opponents, and also when you consider the trouble he has making weight for LW.

I don't like Khabibs stand up defence which consists of him walking forward with his chin in the air. This has never been a great long term plan for anyone in MMA. 

Michael Johnson rung his bell and he did well to take it. Sooner or later I think someone is going to spark him out. 

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

There's something about how dominant Khabib has been in all his matches that I think legitimately could be the first three-weight champion in the UFC, especially when you consider how wrestling can be very effective against larger opponents, and also when you consider the trouble he has making weight for LW.

Three weight?

Personally, I can't see it. Two weight possibly, but at 5'10 and with a 70" reach I don't see him faring well against guys who cut down from upwards of 190lbs.

• Paid Members

I could see him being somewhat effective at 170, maybe, to a point. But 185 would be a massive stretch for him, IMO. Although just imagine how mental Khabib vs Yoel would be?! 

So I don't really see there being three divisions he can conquer. And he certainly won't be making 145. 

I always thought Frankie Edgar had maybe the best shot at being the first 3 weight champ. He already got the lightweight belt, was always right in the mix for the featherweight belt and there was always talk he could make 135 and on a good day I could see him beating whoever the bantamweight champ is. The Ortega loss has most likely fucked it off for good now though :( 

Archived