Pancake Day

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe some of you being surprised that savoury pancakes are thing when these were being served for donkey's years in house up and down this nation.

Findus-Crispy-Pancakes.jpg

That is up until a few years ago that it was found out that most of the minced meat in the things was quite likely actually donkey.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Savoury pancakes are shit, as is savoury French toast.

What about when it’s maple syrup, strawberry butter and bacon? What camp do they fit in? There’s two incredibly sweet toppings, alongside a legend of the savoury world.

For the record , I’m saying sweet, some would disagree though.

I had the above in New York.. fuck me, that strawberry butter was immense.

• Awards Moderator

I won’t get away with just having an evening of sweet pancakes so I am obliged to make some savoury ones first so I can get to the good stuff. Ham and cheese is a good bet, apparently spinach goes well there too.

Otherwise it’s a dollop of ice cream, or maple syrup.

Agreed, you're adding a savoury element to a sweet dish, rather than the other way around. At the risk of setting off another taste war a favourite pancake topping/filling of mine as a kid was grated strong cheddar and raspberry jam.

• Moderators

I love jam in a pancake. I like to spread it on whilst the pancake's still in the pan so it warms up a bit.

Can't say the ideas of adding cheese appeals to me, but I could see how it might be nice in the same way as the other combos mentioned.

I don't really have anything to say tbh, but I'm going to keep posting about food as I stand here, fucking ravenous, waiting for my fish and chips to be cooked. Nice that it's fresh and all, but fuck... I'm starving now.

We had pancake day in work today for some reason (wasn't going to question it) was a pleasant surprise to walk into the building and for it to not smell like piss and the lingering aroma of alcoholics sweat for once. Opted for whipped cream, maple syrup and cinnamon sugar on mine. 

• Paid Members

I don't have the tolerance for sweet things these days, so I go with the traditional lemon juice ant castor sugar. Plenty of it so it's just on the verge of forming a crust.

I've never been one for savoury pancakes, although I will make an exception for the chicken and mushroom pancakes at the Legs of Mann at Sandbach

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, DCW said:

was a pleasant surprise to walk into the building and for it to not smell like piss and the lingering aroma of alcoholics sweat for once.

My head says a pub or a bookies? But my heart wants to say Cash Converters or Bon Marche.

Archived