The Joseph Minala Appreciation Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Sphinx said:

He says 'mus-tosh' in that video, something I picked up from my mum when I was younger. Does/did anyone else say it like that?

I live in Jersey, and the local accent does that all the time. It's almost South African in the way some of the vowels shift - "mus-tosh", "donce" for "dance", and so on. It's really bloody annoying.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I live in Jersey, and the local accent does that all the time. It's almost South African in the way some of the vowels shift - "mus-tosh", "donce" for "dance", and so on. It's really bloody annoying.

I alwys imagine everyone in Jersey talking like Major Benest

• Paid Members

Ah, the good Major. I want a chipsteak now, whatever the fuck that is. My favourite ad of his is where he says something like "wine to grace any meal" but it sounds exactly like "wine is the great enemy!" It's at about 1.05 in the vid below. 

• Paid Members

A lot of the posher side of the older generation do sound exactly like Major Benest, in fairness. There's basically three distinct Jersey accents - one that's most common among younger generations now which, aside from a couple of vocal tics (tending to end sentences with "eh", for example), is more or less indistinguishable from some posher southern accents (if you've watched the Thick Of It, Phil Smith from the Opposition is a good example of this, and to a lesser extent the wine critic Olly Smith), the Major Benest one which you'll hear a lot amongst old Jersey families that have come from money (and probable Nazi collaboration), and then what most people here would consider a "true" Jersey accent, and is one of the most peculiar accents going, with smatterings of French and Jersey French (which is a distinct language in its own right). That's the one that most often gets compared to South African to the untrained ear.

In that Jersey accent, the most common greetings between old friends (of any gender), is "orlright, eh, mah love?", or the far more entertaining "orlight, eh, mah cock?".

Ignoring the fact that it's a mostly rubbish comedy song, this is pretty much the Jersey accent, though pitch exaggerated for comic effect;

Benest's adverts are amazing, though, and I love that they're known outside of Jersey. Wonderful. Sadly the good Major was before my time living here, though Benest's of Milbrook is still there. Apparently on a Saturday he would stand in the car park loudly directing traffic, and making a complete fucking mess of it.

Archived