UFC on FOX: Emmett vs Stephens - Feb 24

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Amazingly, Aldo and Torres never reigned at the same time. Just as Aldo was about to reach the pinnacle, Torres started to decline. In many ways, it could be argued that Aldo replaced Torres as the WEC's consensus best fighter. Aldo beat Mike Brown to win the Featherweight belt in November of 2009. Aldo was on the rise before winning the belt, but his reputation as a fighter didn't peak until he won the belt of Brown, and followed it up by slicing Faber to bits on the WEC's only PPV in April of 2010.

Torres had lost his belt some 3 months before Aldo beat Brown, and lost to Benavidez the month before Aldo beat Faber. Thinking about it a bit more, it was the Benavidez defeat that was the death nail of Torres's aura. The Bowles fight was a crazy brawl, and Torres had Bowles in a bit of trouble before getting caught rushing in. It was tempting to write that fight off as an anomaly. A bit similar to how some quite unfairly reacted when Weidman beat Anderson the first time. However, when Benavidez wrestlefucked and subbed Torres in his next outing, it was clear that Torres's time at the top of the sport was on very shaky ground. 

Brian Bowles is the other forgotten WEC man...and if you wanna look at the heavier guys, Steve Cantwell anyone?

The WEC was brilliant though, it was a really fun alternative to the UFC back in the day. The Zuffa tie always gave them credibility but it always felt like a bit of a cool indy wrestling promotion alternative to the WWE to use an analogy. Looking at the events history i think i got on board watching around WEC 33, which means i saw last 20 or so shows, good times. I need to go back revisit some of that stuff.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Gilbert Burns vs Oliver Aubin-Mercer has been pulled from the card, 

UFC have seen how much Gilbert Burns weighed on fight week and decided to scrap the fight. 

He's meant to have came into fight week weighing 186lbs for a Lightweight fight. Cuts like that are completely mental. I lost 12lbs one week for a meet and I wasn't worth two balls of blue by the half way point of the competition. I couldn't fathom draining yourself to that extent and then attempting to stop some other lunatic from trying to turn your face into the contents of a can of Bigga.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Brian Bowles is the other forgotten WEC man...and if you wanna look at the heavier guys, Steve Cantwell anyone?

The WEC was brilliant though, it was a really fun alternative to the UFC back in the day. The Zuffa tie always gave them credibility but it always felt like a bit of a cool indy wrestling promotion alternative to the WWE to use an analogy. Looking at the events history i think i got on board watching around WEC 33, which means i saw last 20 or so shows, good times. I need to go back revisit some of that stuff.

I can forget the WEC ever had a Light-Heavyweight division. At the time, it was seen as the bastard stepchild of the promotion. Stann, Cantwell, and the rest were not perceived as top-flight operators, or can't miss prospects. Most fans didn't complain when the division was scrapped in late 2008 along with their Middleweight division. WEC was mostly about the lighter-divisions. The Featherweight and Batamweight divisions were exclusive to the promotion. They also gave exposure to countless future stars at Welterweight and Lightweight.

I get what you mean when you say it was like a pro wrestling indie promotion. It was for hardcore MMA fans. The name Paulo Filho may not have meant much to the average UFC fan at the time, but he certainly did to hardcore MMA fans. Carlos Condit was someone who I had heard about from reading about Rumble On The Rock shows, but I didn't get to see him fight until he started fighting in the WEC.

• Paid Members

WEC's light heavyweight division wasnt stacked, but it was usually good value. Stann/Cantwell/Marshall etc had some cracking brawls.

Paulo Filho going to the WEC was a big deal at the time too. What a weird fucker. Chael Sonnen was spewing the same "i promised my father on his death bed" spiel during that feud that he's doing in Bellator now, guy sure knows who to rinse a gimmick.

Sorry we should go back on topic and maybe drag up the past fights thread 😂

Delighted Mike Perry lost. Particularly after his missus was there shouting ‘break his leg’. The producer soon jumped away from that split screen.

Was quite a fun card, actually. The Alan Jouban fight was great.

Interesting finish to the main. Everyone is kicking off that it was an illegal knee, the ref says it was potentially illegal but didn’t land and Stephens himself says it did land, but he did deliberately because the new rules let him do that. Odd.

Either way, Emmett’s fooling no one by saying he’s going to appeal. He was done after the hook.

I don't mind Perry, but he looked fucking terrible in there.  Pretty hard to make a case for him being relevant at all.  Featherweight isn't very interesting at all, at the moment, is it? Aside from the Max / Ortega / Edgar triple threat, hard to get excited about anything else in the division.  And you wonder how long Max will be around for at 145 anyway, particularly with this feud with Conor brewing. 

Love watching Latifi fight.  He just looks like a nightmare to handle given his build and height.  Can't see him getting to DC before DC retires, as he has guys ahead of him in line as well as DC's fight with Stipe, but would love to see the two short arses of the division go at it just for something different.  

• Paid Members

Torres looked good in the first round against Andrade, but after that she got bullied. I don't have much interest in JJ Vs Andrade II. If Joanna wins, I would go for another immediate rematch with Rose. If Rose wins then Andrade Vs JJ is an easy way to pair things up.

OSP in his last three outings was exciting, making some headway and looked like he had everything back on track. Then he runs into a solid slab of meat in Ilir Latifi and it's back to square one for OSP. It's the way it seems to go for him. Good work from Latifi, but he isn't ready for DC, but you can't fault him for asking. 

Mike Perry got shown up again for being incredibly limited. He's got crazy power however he is wound up like a spring. He just looks so tense, that anybody half decent could see the attacks coming because he's not fluid. He's an interesting guy to have about, but he's not troubling anyone in the top ten.

I have to say, as much as I was hoping for Stephens to win rather than Emmett, I feel he should have been DQ'd, or else it ruled a No Contest after the fact. They can't do it as Florida doesn't allow the use of replay, so it'll stand. I'm also pretty sure he was going to finish him no matter about the three illegal blows. It was still three illegal blows though, and big Dan missed it. Stephens Vs Aldo (if he stays at 145) or Stephens Vs the loser of Edgar/Ortega is where I'd go next. 

• Paid Members

The refs were a bit off in a few fights, I thought. Definitely in the main event and the ref in the Latifi fight also missed OSP tapping, resulting in him going completely out. 

Griffin vs Perry reminded me of Groves vs Eubank. Perry's always dangerous and will fuck a lot of guys up to certain level. But when he comes up against the more technical fighters and higher ranked guys he's just too one-note in his attacks. We've compared him to Phil Baroni pretty much since he debuted and I think it's being backed up now. 

Jouban vs Saunders was my highlight of this card. Great fight and one of Jouban's best showings. The stoppage was nasty the way Saunders folded up as well. Jouban seems like a good guy, I liked his post-fight interview. 

• Paid Members
On 25/02/2018 at 6:47 PM, Marshmallo said:

Perry's missus screeching "BREAK THAT LEG" was vile. A hype drain I'm delighted to see derailed. Perry is essentially a bigger, slightly more skilled Leonard Garcia. Needs a complete rebuild to crack the top 10. 

Colby Covington agrees:

28279424_2153952314632011_20929458429683

I get that Covington is "playing the game" so to speak, but it doesn't really work. 

Matt Hughes was the best example of a fighter that I loved to hate. Hughes never really put on an act. He was naturally unlikable, and the producers on TUF edited him to make sure his bad traits were illuminated. It worked a treat. I really wanted to see GSP and Penn kick his ass. In some respects, I actually missed the smug tosser after he retired.

With Covington, it's clear that he is putting on an act, and it's all a bit tiresome. He's basically Sonnen, just without the same wit or entertainment value. Sonnen could do a 15 minute interview with MMAFighting. com that would be filled with pure bollocks, but people would still listen because it would be a riot to listen to. Covington just doesn't have the same ability as a public speaker. He's just unpleasant. Therefore, instead of wanting someone to kick his ass, I would rather he just fuck off.

He's a very good fighter though, I can't take that away from him. 

• Paid Members

Covington is 100% putting it on, hes even pro wrestling these days so he has toes dipped in both waters. To a degree it's working because he gets more press and generates more conversation than 90% of the UFC roster...but I also see the negatives to his approach.

When's he going to fight anyway?

Archived