Creative Writers on the UKFF

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It's the thick skin bit that stops me from creative writing, that and the laziness and lack of talent.  I wrote for football programmes but it's not exactly Tolstoy.

He'd have been great at left-back. [/briefcase]

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Here's an analogy I always find very helpful. Think of your planning as making a map for your journey. You know where you're headed (the ending), and you know the places you'll be stopping off along the way (the important beats of story/character/theme), but make sure you give yourself the freedom to take some detours on the way. It may be that as you get into it, you go in a slightly different direction, and might even want to skip certain places, which are no longer relevant. But whichever route you take, if you keep focussed, you'll always be moving ahead, and eventually end up at the right place all the same.

I know what you mean. I've had a premise stuck in my head for ages, but can't think of where it ends up going or what happens with it on the journey either. I need to try and plug away, really and make something resembling an effort.

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I know what you mean. I've had a premise stuck in my head for ages, but can't think of where it ends up going or what happens with it on the journey either. I need to try and plug away, really and make something resembling an effort.

That's where I am. I've got fairly detailed ideas on the characters and a couple of plot points, just not 100% how it should end whilst not being cliché.

• Paid Members

It's literally a note of "man volunteers to be guinea pig for teleportation research, undergoes massive personality change upon rematerialisation" saved on my phone. It's got the potential to be a bit philosophical and sciency, but I end up asking loads of questions of it whenever the thought comes up.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wouldn't the Barclay episode where the Cyrethians (sp?) make him well skill be better?

Cytherians

*pushes up glasses*

• Paid Members

Glad to see there's discussion going on. I've been solid on work nights all week so haven't had the brain capacity to read any advice sent to me but have a day off tomorrow and plan to look at everything that's been said. 

Keep up the awesome chat everyone. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Cytherians

*pushes up glasses*

Cytherians (enthusiastic nod)

.... you got an upvote because I assumed the glasses is a reference to Cytherea.

Archived