Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

22 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Finished 10 weeks of CBT on Thursday. Don't need to go back for another month. 

It's the most mentally draining/exhausting thing I've been through. It's been really tough, but for the first time I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel. I might actually be able to find some semblance of peace. 

It might not be or work for everyone, but if you've considered going for it then my advice is to do it. I was quite lucky in that I got on very well on a personal level with my therapist. I think that made a difference for me. 

Yeah I hear that.  It's like dredging a canal basin, stuff that's been lying undisturbed for years is brought to the surface but once it's all been cleaned, it's a nice place to visit again.

i have started CBT, but its in a group of 20 and i dont like it, but its the only way to get one on one help is to attend these group sessions at first, i have 2 more sessions of 3 hours each to do 

i have always been a poor learner and struggle in group and classroom type environments and taking the info in. I can be in the room for about 10 mins and suddenly its like i switch off and the room seems to get 100 times bigger

Edited by Ralphy

12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I hate having to take medication at the best of times. The Beta Blockers made me into some kind of zombie, and some of the antidepressants made me into such an irritable, snappy person. I stopped taking them.

The signs were there in school, I was always a touch shy., hand-eye coordination isn't one of my strong points but back in the 80s and 90s these things weren't picked up on as much so it went unnoticed Academically I was brilliant, but once I was outside the school environment I didn't give it a second thought. Homework would go undone unless somebody was literally standing over me watching me do it so coursework wouldn't be done. Eventually an arrangement was made where I'd go and sit outside the staffroom after school and do my homework so that if I needed any help there'd usually be a teacher on hand to assist me with anything and I think it probably saved some of my grades. Flunked out of A-Levels, scraped through a B-TEC in music a couple of years after that due to it being mostly performance based and a few written exams, but Uni was a disaster. Did the first year twice, both times failing because I just wouldn't do anything outside of uni apart from turning up to rehearsals and gigs with the bands I was in. There's always that element of "if the support for these things was in place back then, how much better would my education have gone?" Just got to wait and see what support I can get now, I guess.

Funnily enough when I told my friends what was going on a fair few of them were largely unsurprised.and said "yeah, that makes sense."

That first part just further shows why I've tried to avoid ending up on medication at all costs. Doesn't suddenly going cold turkey have side effects? 

Most of the next paragraph though, I can relate to almost totally. I was lucky enough to have relatively sympathetic tutors, FE college administrators and family members, so I got a few different cracks of the whip when it came to A-levels. I definitely struggled at uni but managed to escape with a BA, although the pressure in the final year definitely caused my grades to drop. I didn't want to turn up there with a 'label', but since then I've been told by a counsellor that I should think of it my diagnosis as a 'signpost' instead. That might sound naff, but it's nice that there are people who are trying to find a way to put a positive spin on things.

It's good that your old friends are supportive. My best friend from secondary school was surprised to find out about my diagnosis, but that's probably because he doesn't understand the condition rather than because he never understood me. I mainly hang out with people who get it these days because they have the same condition.

31 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

That first part just further shows why I've tried to avoid ending up on medication at all costs. Doesn't suddenly going cold turkey have side effects? 

I cant speak for going completely cold turkey, but when i reduced mine gradually over 2 months to nothing in the summer last year, i had all sorts of really bad side effects like severe anger, suicidal thoughts, terrible sleep, hot and cold sweats and shaking, amongst other things. I cant imagine cold turkey being a good idea, no matter how tempting 

I am listening to this at the moment as background music while trying to do some cbt stuff, its actually quite relaxing! 

Edited by Ralphy

1 minute ago, Ralphy said:

I cant speak for going completely cold turkey, but when i reduced mine gradually over 2 months to nothing in the summer last year, i had all sorts of really bad side effects like severe anger, suicidal thoughts, terrible sleep, hot and cold sweats and shaking, amongst other things. I cant imagine cold turkey being a good idea, no matter how tempting 

Yeah, I have friends on antidepressants who won't stop taking them¬†‚Äď or even switch to a different prescription if it means not being on any pills for a while as they change over from one drug to another ‚Äď because they can see themselves getting into a really bad way like that. Once you're on them you can only stop gradually if at all, and while following doctors'¬†advice. In your case they at least clearly haven't turned you into a zombie with no personality.¬†

they did, thats why i came off mine, to be honest i did it off my own back, i didnt bother with the doctor, if i went to my doctor with a broken leg im pretty he would send me for a blood test... 

giphy.gif

They are very, very hard to come off, doctors dont tell you that, sadly

I just used to stop taking them. I don't think apart from when I was taking Sertraline they had chance to properly "bed in"?,  but it probably explains why I was such a hermit for a few months after I'd stopped them. I remember I had to go for a meeting at the job I was failing to hold down at the time when I stopped taking Sertraline and was so anxious about it I was sick on the tram on the way up there. I've had some bad anxiety before, but never actual vomiting anxiety. Fortunately the job I've got now is reasonably stress free. I know no job will ever truly be stress free, but I'm literally given a stack or orders I need to fulfill and left to it. Some days depending on what kind of orders

6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I just used to stop taking them. I don't think apart from when I was taking Sertraline they had chance to properly "bed in"?,  but it probably explains why I was such a hermit for a few months after I'd stopped them. I remember I had to go for a meeting at the job I was failing to hold down at the time when I stopped taking Sertraline and was so anxious about it I was sick on the tram on the way up there. I've had some bad anxiety before, but never actual vomiting anxiety. Fortunately the job I've got now is reasonably stress free. I know no job will ever truly be stress free, but I'm literally given a stack or orders I need to fulfill and left to it. Some days depending on what kind of orders

Yeah, the tablets had probably not taken full effect yet, but the people I know who are worried about coming off them do fear becoming a hermit and starting to miss out on things. I've been anxious enough before that it's started to make me feel physically sick inside, but luckily it's never been bad enough to cause vomiting. I have newer friends who wouldn't even go on the tram or train unsupervised, so compared to that you were doing really well to get yourself to and from work.

That's good to hear about your current job. Certainly makes it appear a lot more bearable that it sounded based on your description yesterday.

21 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I hear that.  It's like dredging a canal basin, stuff that's been lying undisturbed for years is brought to the surface but once it's all been cleaned, it's a nice place to visit again.

Great analogy.

It does feel rewarding, like I've actually achieved something. Time will tell on how well I do with it. Trying to hold in all the information to counteract the shit is proving a little difficult. I need time to process it and break it down properly, which will hopefully embed itself in my noggin.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:06 PM, Ralphy said:

I've gone cold turkey a few times and honestly i didn't get too many side effects personally, bit of dizzyness and sightly upset stomach, now going back on them is another matter. the annoying thing with SSRI's is side effects can differ hugely depending on the person, their needs, lifestyles and the dose you're coming off.

I know someone who took citalopram for 6 months, got over her anxiety and then very slowly reduced 5mg at a time over six months. she's been free of anxiety for 15 years now. the best thing to do when starting to take, reducing or increasing (and it's easier said than done) is to get busy. try and fill your mind up with tasks, decorating, gardening, for me it was playing more XBox/PS4 for the first few weeks to a month. if it gets too much take some time out, relax in the bath or listen to some music or the mindfulness music posted above. Sitting around and overthinking is a killer.

11 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Great analogy.

It does feel rewarding, like I've actually achieved something. Time will tell on how well I do with it. Trying to hold in all the information to counteract the shit is proving a little difficult. I need time to process it and break it down properly, which will hopefully embed itself in my noggin.

What will happen is in 6 months or so you'll look back and start to notice how your mind has changed, the way your thoughts have slowly changed over time. sometimes as you do CBT and after finishing it's easy to get frustrated at a lack of progress, we all feel we've done this thing that's taken time surely we should be good now but it can take time for things to change.

Edited by ultimo the great

I'm on Mirtaz, I find them to be the most effective I have tried (for me, I did start on an SSRI and they made me worse). I started on 15mg, went up to 30mg and have now dropped back to 15mg. The only downside I have found is they make putting on weight far too easy.

I'm on Mirtrazopine. My doc put me on them(and Amityptoline) so he could take away my sleeping tablets. 

I'm on 45mg(I think, might be 30) and my mental health has never been so consistently good. I feel so chilled out all the time and nothing is getting on top of me anymore.

Only down side is how long it takes me to come around on a morning, but its a worthy trade off to be able to sleep better and feel the closest to my normal that I have been for years...

Amityptoline was great in my experience in terms of sleep, could easily sleep for 12 hours straight through on a weekend, but they made me gain a fudge ton of weight and made me very drowsy/dopey

diazepam/valium was the best meds ive taken, u can see why people get addicted though, i felt more magical than David Copperfield 

I have my 3rd and final group cbt "wellbeing workshop" appointment tomorrow, then hopefully i will be seeing someone one on one, which si what i want. You have to do this before they assess you for one of one appointments, pretty lame really 

Been very much struggling over the past few weeks again, extreme highs and lows, energy and motivation at an all time low, hopefully i can get better soon

i didnt get the job i really wanted, so that hasnt helped me 

I do not take meds currently, i need to, but the side effects are an absolute killer, its not worth it, i already cant get out of bed at the best of times 

My digestive issues really get em down (no, not as in the biscuit or which way up i eat them..!) and i find it hard to break my habits and not to revert back to type, i may have 20 mins of feeling up for change and what not, but then, BAM! back to old ralphy i go 

Edited by Ralphy