I don't want to clog up the Covid thread. And I guess this is more relevant here.

Had an argument with my manager. It turns out the people who decided to keep our libraries open were him and two other people above me. They don't even work in the libraries.

Its pretty clear that my health and my family don't matter to them. I don't know if they're right.

I'm worried if I resign I'll never find another job and be a burden to my family.

I don't know what to do. I'm actually really scared. 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but here seems about the most appropriate place in my eyes.  I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone on here for the posts and replies and messa

It's mental health awareness day, y'all. This is me saying "you got this."  If you're struggling, talk to someone. Text a mate. Ring your mum. Confide in your partner. See your GP. Visit a

I have little to add to the above stories, but people should feel free comfortable to use this thread just to get these thoughts out, even if the mostly unqualified UKFF don't comment. People do read

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I don't want to clog up the Covid thread. And I guess this is more relevant here.

Had an argument with my manager. It turns out the people who decided to keep our libraries open were him and two other people above me. They don't even work in the libraries.

Its pretty clear that my health and my family don't matter to them. I don't know if they're right.

I'm worried if I resign I'll never find another job and be a burden to my family.

Don’t resign, speak to your GP and they’ll sign you off. You’ll be covered that way. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Vamp said:

You'll get another job. It might not be one you want, be for the same money, etc, but you will find something. You've certainly got more chance of finding one if you don't get COVID. For example, one of my colleagues made a fortune delivering takeaways during the last lockdown. More than her actual wage.

I don't want to speak for your family but I'd imagine that they want you alive, fit and healthy above anything else.

As for your work, I'd suspect that a lot managers are going to keep places open because of the cap on furlough payments. It's pretty shitty that they are willing to put people's' lives at risk rather than take a pay cut but there you go.

Keith's advice is the best though. I can't imagine your GP having any issue at all with signing you off, given the situation your work is putting you in.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, patiirc said:

2.) Limit Social Media Use. Take a break where required endless scrolling or reading about things keeps repeating negative thought patterns or reaffirming anxieties

This. I can't recommend this enough. Twitter in particular is a toxic, horrible playground. It's always been terrible but lately with all the Trump stuff and the COVID situation it's become a place where the worst in society vent their frustrations.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. I've calmed down a little. For a while there I was genuinely having quite bad thoughts. 

Just realising that my boss had hid the truth all week and recommended we be put at risk really hit me. The fact that they recommended it even after one of my colleagues died from suspected Covid last year actually makes me feel sick. 

I feel like I'm failing my colleague. She was so lovely and treated me like a son. They've already forgotten her. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Vamp said:

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. I've calmed down a little. For a while there I was genuinely having quite bad thoughts. 

Just realising that my boss had hid the truth all week and recommended we be put at risk really hit me. The fact that they recommended it even after one of my colleagues died from suspected Covid last year actually makes me feel sick. 

I feel like I'm failing my colleague. She was so lovely and treated me like a son. They've already forgotten her. 

I just caught up with this, i suffered the same level of shithousery at my work this week. In hindsight i probably should have stayed signed off sick for a while as keith suggested. I think alot of companies will be looking for staff once this is over. 

Hope things work out 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about what the world may be like without me in it the other day, I then cried for a while and then realised my girls need me. Life can be weird. For the last week I have appreciated everything, absolutely everything. I 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Completely out of the blue an anxiety attack decided to pay me a visit about half an hour ago. About to go for a quick wander to pay some bills for Mrs Jazzy and suddenly there it is. That black dog certainly gets around. I've stuck some music on to shut the world out for a bit. Usually helps. 

• Paid Members
On 1/17/2021 at 8:42 PM, Joe Blog said:

I thought about what the world may be like without me in it the other day, I then cried for a while and then realised my girls need me. Life can be weird. For the last week I have appreciated everything, absolutely everything. I 

Mate, honestly, a lot of us know that thought process. None of us know you personally but for one, you’re a loved part of this unique part of the internet and two, your girls love you more than you will ever realise, no matter how long you live.

Keep your head up, have that big fucking cry when you need to (it helps more than you know) and if you ever have a wobble, we’re all here for you.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Completely out of the blue an anxiety attack decided to pay me a visit about half an hour ago. About to go for a quick wander to pay some bills for Mrs Jazzy and suddenly there it is. That black dog certainly gets around. I've stuck some music on to shut the world out for a bit. Usually helps. 

They hit when you walk in and hit you when you go. Anxiety attacks are absolutely awful and can come out of nowhere, even when you feel okay. 

Are you doing okay after it? 

Music is always my go-to, so I hope whatever you’ve put on has helped calm you down.

Edited by Frankie Crisp
  • Paid Members

It did, but I've had a little bout again now. I'll be OK eventually. Might just be a bit tired. I'd been alright, which is why it was such a surprise. Thanks for checking in @Frankie Crisp. Muchly appreciated. I feel like I might just need a few days of "no mask" in a mental, not Covid sense, as there could be a good bit of masking to be done in the next couple of weeks at various appointments.