Update to my post from last week. Just found out the dog's going to be ok. I've never felt relief like it. So happy right now. This week has been hell, I've barely spoken to anyone. But I'm so thankful for this result today. Just wanted to share some good news for a change. 

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but here seems about the most appropriate place in my eyes.  I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone on here for the posts and replies and messa

It's mental health awareness day, y'all. This is me saying "you got this."  If you're struggling, talk to someone. Text a mate. Ring your mum. Confide in your partner. See your GP. Visit a

I have little to add to the above stories, but people should feel free comfortable to use this thread just to get these thoughts out, even if the mostly unqualified UKFF don't comment. People do read

Posted Images

• Paid Members
On 11/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, DavidB6937 said:

Yep I've cried over cats but not over actual humans. I know some people don't get the pet thing but when you spend so much time with them they do become like family etc.

Well, dogs, but yeah. I remember weeping for almost an hour after my dog got run over when I was a young 'un, but I don't really do much of any emotion nowadays. I had a little outburst when I found out my stepdad was going to pass away, but that was it. Emotions and I have always had an odd relationship. That's (probably) Autism for you. Pets become a part of the family, and the love they give is normally unconditional as well. I'm. Glad your friend's dog is going to be OK @lars85

Last night was the first time in a very long time that I felt it come on physically, I was just sat on the sofa with my wife and youngest son and suddenly I felt it just felt it as if someone was pouring some kind of liquid weight over me and draining everything I'd got left. I managed to muster up smiles to interact with him and only had to hide it for an hour or so last night but today it feels just the same. I know it's just an imbalance and shall pass but this is the worst it's got me for a long time, so long that I'm struggling to remember the tricks I used to fake it with that don't involve pouring booze over it which never helps but is always my go to answer. It'll pass but today has already been a struggle and I cant see it getting better for a while. It is what it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

This past week has been tough for me from a mental health perspective. I’ve felt absolutely awful at times and the worst part about it is that I don’t actually know why.

When I’ve struggled in the past I’ve generally found there’s a reason for it - something I could talk about even if I didn’t actually talk about it. But this time? There’s no explanation. I just feel shit. 

Maybe 2020 is finally catching up with me, I don’t know.

42 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

This past week has been tough for me from a mental health perspective. I’ve felt absolutely awful at times and the worst part about it is that I don’t actually know why.

When I’ve struggled in the past I’ve generally found there’s a reason for it - something I could talk about even if I didn’t actually talk about it. But this time? There’s no explanation. I just feel shit. 

Maybe 2020 is finally catching up with me, I don’t know.

I was doing well for most of the year. Felt pretty positive etc. Thought I could push through all of it. But the longer this year went on the more I struggled. I do feel like it caught up with me, especially this time of year which is usually pretty positive and enjoyable for me personally. I think quite a few people are in a similar situation where it's just finally got to them.

Thanks for sharing that @DavidB6937. I’m really sorry to hear you’re also feeling that way, but it’s a strange relief to know I’m not the only one who has felt a sudden, inexplicable whack of depression. It’s so easy to think ‘what on earth is wrong with me?’, without even considering that it’s a very human response (albeit a shitty one) to what has been a really tough year. 

• Paid Members

I've been struggling a bit for the past few weeks as well. I've been constantly tired and lacking energy and motivation to do anything and with a general feeling of doom and gloom. My ability to concentrate went to shit as well and I've found it hard to even watch a film or read a book. Entire days have passed without me really doing anything.

The only explanation I can think is that I've been off work for three weeks, since COVID restrictions have really fucked Scotland's hospitality industry and I've been forced to take all my holidays at once. Logically that shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing and I could use this free time productively but, again, lack of energy, motivation, etc.

I have been feeling a lot better this week though so hopefully the worst has passed.

• Paid Members

I've been practicing the guitar and after I put it down I could still faintly hear louie louie being played very badly from it, it's been going for about 10 minutes now. If I concentrate on it I can make it hold in one note for a while but couldn't make it stop. 

It's a new one on me, and ultimately I found it fascinating so thought I'd share. Has anyone had anything similar? 

Edited by Tommy!
  • 4 weeks later...

Feeling a bit back to square one now after this latest lock down news, especially knowing it'll likely go on till sometime in March.

Managed to navigate the ups and downs of last year hoping we could just get through that.

It all feels incredibly bleak at the moment. Last night was the worst sleep I've had in ages. Definitely feel my anxiety skyrocketing and I'm slowly losing that hope I've been clinging onto.

That first lockdown was scary but felt like it'd do some good and itd be over. This time I am struggling to have any faith in it. Its going to be a real challenge, and I fear far more difficult than anything I went through last year. That in itself makes my anxiety so much worse. Its going to be a long few months.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Feeling a bit back to square one now after this latest lock down news, especially knowing it'll likely go on till sometime in March.

Managed to navigate the ups and downs of last year hoping we could just get through that.

It all feels incredibly bleak at the moment. Last night was the worst sleep I've had in ages. Definitely feel my anxiety skyrocketing and I'm slowly losing that hope I've been clinging onto.

That first lockdown was scary but felt like it'd do some good and itd be over. This time I am struggling to have any faith in it. Its going to be a real challenge, and I fear far more difficult than anything I went through last year. That in itself makes my anxiety so much worse. Its going to be a long few months.

I didnt overly suffer the first time but i think the relentless onslaught of crap is starting to grind me down now to. Im hanging onto the vaccine hope to get us out of it. Every day they inject more people the closer we are to getting it over. 

Not much help i know but its something to hold on to.

57 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's hard, we as a population are getting to and beyond the stages of burn out currently. This latest strain of Covid and the increased numbers sends the shiver down the spine at times and the immediate thought is to assume the worst. 

I've been teary a few times since Xmas,and when looked at one way things can seem very bleak.

Having said that, there is much that you can do on a daily or even micro managed basis to help.

1.) The Pandemic stuff we cant really change. Do what you can, as in PPE and all that jazz, but after that try to compartmentalise it (write thoughts down in a journal so are not swirling around in your head) and come back to it when you are able

2.) Limit Social Media Use. Take a break where required endless scrolling or reading about things keeps repeating negative thought patterns or reaffirming anxieties

3.) Talk to people , even if it's as simple as ringing a mate/ parents/ to talk about the weather. 

4.) Set goals. Little ones if needs be. Starting with the basics of cooking, getting dressed etc so you can build a sense of achievement and regain some confidence and faith in the things you have some control over.  Bigger goals could be learning language or even starting to write etc.

5.)Find a local support group. Many places have online support groups for those in a similar boat. Peer support can be a massive help and hints, coping strategies etc may only be a google away and can help build resilience.

6.) Dont be afraid to switch the world off. If you need to, rest, spend a day doing the things that you like to do, book a holiday at work, or take a duvet/sick day if you need to. Watch crappy movies, play computer games or piss about in the kitchen creating something all day if you need to.

7.) Exercise. Try and get out for a walk once a day in daylight if possible. lack of daylight/SAD is problematic, as is not having time away from the same 4 walls. Change routes regularly, revisit old places if you can locally and get the nostalgia hit if it helps.

Some further ideas can be found here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-52411394

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/coronavirus/look-after-your-mental-health-and-wellbeing-when-staying-home

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/coronavirus-covid-19-anxiety-tips/

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00933-5

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I don't know if this helps, but sometimes I find the anxiety is its own thing, looking for something to latch onto. It's a physical reaction - I get the physical symptoms of the anxiety before I start associating it with things I feel anxious about.

As a daft example, let's say I'm feeling anxious, and then I end up thinking about the library book I never returned in 1999. I end up feeling like it's thinking about that that has made me anxious, which then makes me feel worse, because it was so long ago, and I'm now anxious because I'm such a screw-up that I can't stop thinking about something from 22 years ago. But it's not the library book, or even the memory that's made me anxious. I just rationalised the anxiety onto that.

It's also worse when you're tired - I don't often feel anxious after a good night's sleep. So you're far more susceptible to it when you're tired, but it also makes it difficult to sleep, which makes you more likely to spiral into that anxiety. I've started getting better at realising that I'm anxious because I'm tired, not because the things I end up focusing on are causing the anxiety. It took a while for me to treat it as a physical symptom, but once I did, it's become far less frequent.

It's still there. It still sucks. But I'm learning more and more why I'll feel better the next day.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Since leaving work a few days ago and the stress surrounding its build up i have started to suffer from not being able to sleep. I know deep down i did the right thing but i feel like im letting my family down. I have had the constant shits that have resulted in losing 8lbs in the last 5 days. 

Im afraid i wont be able to get another job as i have to remain my sons carer. This limits me to being able to earn £120 per week in wages and i dont see anyone willing to take me on.

I have a court hearing on the 15th as they denied my sons claim for mobility element of DLA. So im getting ready to have to explain why my 12 year old son is more or less a 2 year old in a mans body. This was always going to be upsetting. 

All seems a bit hopeless 

Edited by quote the raven
  • Paid Members

It's only been a few days. Other jobs will come up - it's competitive and shit out there, but you're not in a unique situation.  You're not letting anyone down - if anything, it's clear that you're being let down.

You're stressing over the build-up to leaving, finding work, and the court case. That's a LOT all at the same time. Anxiety is entirely natural, but you're going to have to try to park some of it for a little bit. Nobody would expect you to be able to easily deal with all of this by the 15th. So you're going to have to prioritise.

The 15th seems like the biggest priority and the best thing you can focus on right now. It may be upsetting, but there's no shame in what you're fighting for - you are owed this. Concentrate on preparing for it, and pour all that energy your anxiety is creating into shoving their denial up their arses.