Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

38 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Good luck with your weight loss Tommy.

At my slimmest I was 14.5 stone and I was still listed as over my listed ideal of 14. At that time I was in the gym 5 days a week and training once or twice a week, so I'm not hopeful. 

I'm unbelievably easily fatigued, which is apparently a byproduct of a fat liver as a byproduct of being overweight. This puts me in a catch 22 where I'm tired before I exercise and so struggle to improve the situation. 

This is all based on theory from bloodwork though, so it could be unconnected or the other way around and something causes fatigue which results in the weight gain again. I've got a polyp or fucked up septum which I think affects breathing during sleep which doesn't help I imagine. 

Lately my headaches are more frequent and I'm prone to migraines with alcohol, which with the intermittent light numbness on the side of my face sounds bad but in truth I've just got a lot on at the moment and need a bit of a break. I'll try and get a bit healthier in a few months when life settles down a bit. I've got too many nice suits that don't fit for me not too :)

Just try to do the best you can without messing yourself up, you will still be doing more than a lot of people do who have no real complications stopping them! Any exercise is better than none, thats for sure 

Edited by Ralphy

8 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

At my slimmest I was 14.5 stone and I was still listed as over my listed ideal of 14. At that time I was in the gym 5 days a week and training once or twice a week, so I'm not hopeful. 

My happiest I’ve been/target is 13.7.

My heaviest in the last 6 years was 17. I’ve been averaging 14.7 for the last year but can I fuck get that last stone off. Currently at 14.3 and that’s through really hard graft both fitness and eating. However, not sure what else I can do without it getting to the point that I don’t enjoy life.

Im all for a healthy lifestyle, but not if it’s crap and boring. I’ll simply get bored and revert back. 

I think I might have to just concede that 14 has to be the goal.

Its so much harder when you have to juggle things, so focus, confidence and drive goes out of the window.

I’m struggling a bit at the moment. I had a shit Christmas because I broke up with my girlfriend of 7 years not long before, and was then dumped by a girl I started seeing who I got a bit too attached too. I felt much much better starting in the first week of January, but now I’ve met another girl and my relationship anxiety is absolutely destroying me again.

To tell the truth, I’m fucking lonely. Yeah, I’ve got lots of friends, but they’re either married, in relationships or live too far away, so I hardly ever see them. This means, apart from seeing the aforementioned girl maybe once a week, I spent most nights alone. I didn’t realise how depressing this would be.

Of course, when I don’t get a reply from the girl I’m seeing within an hour or so, my mind goes into overdrive and I assume she’s losing interest.

I’m currently sat in a pub on my own typing this, because I couldn’t sit in my flat any longer. I honestly feel like bursting into tears, don’t know what the fuck is wrong with me.

Moving onto relationship after relationship probably isn't the answer mate. I'm speaking from experience, just getting with someone for the sake of being with someone won't make you happier. It is important doing hobbies to occupy yourself, going the gym, swimming joining a social group will assist with the loneliness. I understand the friends being busy with family/ relationship etc, but it's good to talk and if they knew you were feeling like this I'm sure they would find time for you! Don't suffer in silence mate. Things will get better, just your still in the process of getting over your long term relationship. 

10 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

No, at its worst it's far more.

Agree, it's more like having all your teeth pulled out, one by one with a pair of rusty pliers, but on a daily basis...

Has anyone else had to do the "five areas log" as part of their cbt sessions? Im a tad confused by it and need help with it 

I'm undergoing a diagnosis for Asperger's/Autism at the moment and my head was all over the place on Friday. Not only have we changed our hours so the 2-10 shift is now a 1.30-9.30 on a Friday, but my supervisor was off so we had somebody covering who hadn't done it before. My routine had been disrupted twice, plus I'd had chance to drive the FLT, but was really struggling with it because of various issues with the thing I was trying to unload, which shook my alread limited confidence. It was a lot for me to try and deal with. At one point I just wanted to down tools and cry, but forced myself to keep going. The music on Spotify wasn't really helping, but I hate having to ask for help. I've tried to explain it to my supervisors and manager, but I'm not always the best at explaining, plus some of it may be a little lost in translation.

All I can really do is keep waiting to hear back from the Autism service, and I have no idea how long that'll be.

Finished 10 weeks of CBT on Thursday. Don't need to go back for another month. 

It's the most mentally draining/exhausting thing I've been through. It's been really tough, but for the first time I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel. I might actually be able to find some semblance of peace. 

It might not be or work for everyone, but if you've considered going for it then my advice is to do it. I was quite lucky in that I got on very well on a personal level with my therapist. I think that made a difference for me. 

8 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm undergoing a diagnosis for Asperger's/Autism at the moment and my head was all over the place on Friday. Not only have we changed our hours so the 2-10 shift is now a 1.30-9.30 on a Friday, but my supervisor was off so we had somebody covering who hadn't done it before. My routine had been disrupted twice, plus I'd had chance to drive the FLT, but was really struggling with it because of various issues with the thing I was trying to unload, which shook my alread limited confidence. It was a lot for me to try and deal with. At one point I just wanted to down tools and cry, but forced myself to keep going. The music on Spotify wasn't really helping, but I hate having to ask for help. I've tried to explain it to my supervisors and manager, but I'm not always the best at explaining, plus some of it may be a little lost in translation.

All I can really do is keep waiting to hear back from the Autism service, and I have no idea how long that'll be.

I've always hated having to ask for help too, but having a medical diagnosis is supposed to make it easier and remove some of the stigma and anxieties around doing that. It sounds like the practices of your workplace make it totally unsuitable for someone with this condition. That's their fault, so it shouldn't have to be your problem.

Getting a diagnosis does seem to take forever though. Hang in there.

5 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

I've always hated having to ask for help too, but having a medical diagnosis is supposed to make it easier and remove some of the stigma and anxieties around doing that. It sounds like the practices of your workplace make it totally unsuitable for someone with this condition. That's their fault, so it shouldn't have to be your problem.

Getting a diagnosis does seem to take forever though. Hang in there.

It's taken years of CBT, antidepressants, beta blockers etc to get to this point. A GP said he'd send me for a diagnosis a few years ago, but that he didn't want me stuck with a label. My current GP sent me through the process last summer. Took 4 months to see a psychiatrist, and he's forwarded me onto the Autism service, so it's just waiting to hear back from them now that they've had my paperwork through,

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's taken years of CBT, antidepressants, beta blockers etc to get to this point. A GP said he'd send me for a diagnosis a few years ago, but that he didn't want me stuck with a label. My current GP sent me through the process last summer. Took 4 months to see a psychiatrist, and he's forwarded me onto the Autism service, so it's just waiting to hear back from them now that they've had my paperwork through,

Ouch. Sorry to hear about all the business with tablets. That's an absolutely horrendous attitude from your GP. Asperger's was first mentioned to me by a college counsellor when I was 24 but the only thing I thought it meant at the time was 'antisocial' so I didn't go for it. I eventually decided to seek recognition of it after the final year of uni didn't go so well, and was put on a 6-month waiting list just to get a referral, then it took another year following two face-to-face consultations for them to write up a report and send written confirmation of my condition... by which time I was failing an MA, being abused and unsurprisingly depressed. I hope your local health board's relevant unit is more efficient and less overstretched and that you get a diagnosis much more quickly.

I hate having to take medication at the best of times. The Beta Blockers made me into some kind of zombie, and some of the antidepressants made me into such an irritable, snappy person. I stopped taking them.

The signs were there in school, I was always a touch shy., hand-eye coordination isn't one of my strong points but back in the 80s and 90s these things weren't picked up on as much so it went unnoticed Academically I was brilliant, but once I was outside the school environment I didn't give it a second thought. Homework would go undone unless somebody was literally standing over me watching me do it so coursework wouldn't be done. Eventually an arrangement was made where I'd go and sit outside the staffroom after school and do my homework so that if I needed any help there'd usually be a teacher on hand to assist me with anything and I think it probably saved some of my grades. Flunked out of A-Levels, scraped through a B-TEC in music a couple of years after that due to it being mostly performance based and a few written exams, but Uni was a disaster. Did the first year twice, both times failing because I just wouldn't do anything outside of uni apart from turning up to rehearsals and gigs with the bands I was in. There's always that element of "if the support for these things was in place back then, how much better would my education have gone?" Just got to wait and see what support I can get now, I guess.

Funnily enough when I told my friends what was going on a fair few of them were largely unsurprised.and said "yeah, that makes sense."