Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

On 10/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, ElCece said:

I'm having a really fucking hard time of it at the moment, currently coming to terms with my sons Autism and like global development delay.

I don't know how to compartmentalise the anxiety and stress that I am feeling from it. I'm all cognizant of the fact my wife is leaning in me heavily for support and doesnt have capacity to take on my own burden. 

All the while I feel like a useless cunt as I should be stronger to support my son family.

I know that's not how it works but it's hard to get over that mindset.

My son has the same diagnosis, it may not seem it but it does get easier as the help will be a lot quicker now. 

He’s 10 now the stress from the early days still haunts me. I now work with a autism charity and at sen school. If can help out in anyway to anyone in this thread trying to deal with this kind of issue please feel free to drop me a pm. 

19 hours ago, quote the raven said:

My son has the same diagnosis, it may not seem it but it does get easier as the help will be a lot quicker now. 

He’s 10 now the stress from the early days still haunts me. I now work with a autism charity and at sen school. If can help out in anyway to anyone in this thread trying to deal with this kind of issue please feel free to drop me a pm. 

My Son is 5, and has had the same diagnosis. He is also none verbal. He is now at a Sen school and is doing well considering. Everyday is hard, he doesn't sleep well, my wife and I no longer share a bed, because in the middle of then night he will get in and we cant all be in it. I wish I could give you a brighter outlook.

What worries me more, and a question I have to ask Mr Raven now the election is over, is on their costings budget, the learning disability and autism fund, has costings of £25, £24 and £24 million, but in the 2024 column that gets cut to 0. So what happens to our children then. Because my wife had an anxiety attack this morning after finding out about the landslide, fearful that our son will lose his school support within the next few years due to these cuts, so what are the Conservatives doing? The document doesn't make it entirely clear, but surely they can't stop the funding entirely?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Ours has just started on the joining us in bed middle of the night thing, also non verbal. Fucking demoralising. 

That funding thing. What the fuck. Why are they doing this. 

I dont want to drag this into a political discussion

I know my sons SEN school was built a few years back with integrated soft play, sensory and water pool. The facilitates are top notch.

As for the funding i think it was only a commitment for a set number of years. IE we will ring fence this much. Come 2023 there will be another spending commitment. 

Other than a fight over high rate care ive never really had an issue with funding

Sleeping will get better, it was maybe the worst when he was 4 or 5. Days of broken sleep or a few hours is probably the hardest thing i ever dealt with. I would suggest talking to the GP about melatonin our guys tend to lack it 

Edited by quote the raven

Gonna raise it next appt with paediatrician, thanks. We're already doing most of the things suggested, solid routine, tv off at 6, etc. Need to start on visual timetable. 

4 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

I dont want to drag this into a political discussion

I know my sons SEN school was built a few years back with integrated soft play, sensory and water pool. The facilitates are top notch.

As for the funding i think it was only a commitment for a set number of years. IE we will ring fence this much. Come 2023 there will be another spending commitment. 

Other than a fight over high rate care ive never really had an issue with funding

Were lucky with ours as well. It's not that old, so it's rather modern in terms of tech and facilities. Makes a huge difference to those kids. We don't get high rate, were grateful we get anything really, but obviously worried that those cuts could affect the help he gets at school so we were both worried. I even ready the manifesto to try and make sense of it, but struggled. Thanks for clearing that up, because we'll sleep better

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

‚ÄúProvide ¬£74 million over three years for additional capacity in community care settings for those with learning disabilities and autism.‚ÄĚ

If thats the number your looking at its for additional stuff outside the day to day cost

2 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Gonna raise it next appt with paediatrician, thanks. We're already doing most of the things suggested, solid routine, tv off at 6, etc. Need to start on visual timetable. 

If you get blow back for turning the tv off id suggest a timer with alarm. 

Technically its not you turning the tv off, the alarm is doing it, as it as seen as an object it will soon become part of the bed time routine.   

I use this method at work and it can be adapted for many different things that involve you having to take something away or stop something they like.

1 minute ago, hallicks said:

Good to know about the timer thing. Not too much fuss about TV going off, we usually chuck them in the bath after 

Not being one to slate anyones parenting ability but how is throwing a TV in the bath healthy for a child?  It could electrocute them.

I work with children with SEN and am happy to provide any advice I can. Please feel free to DM me with any queries no matter how trivial they may seem. 

The UKFF is a fucking lovely place at times, this may be the nicest thread on the internet.

A personal one, but obviously feel safe in asking it in here.

i was diagnosed in the summer with anxiety and depression. I was offered tablets, which I declined as had them previously for anxiety and they gave me Insomnia. But I was offered therapy. They told me it should take about 6 months to get an appointment but since having my conformation letter I’ve heard nothing since. Is 6 months too soon, Or should I try chasing up? Anyone been in this position recently?

40 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

A personal one, but obviously feel safe in asking it in here.

i was diagnosed in the summer with anxiety and depression. I was offered tablets, which I declined as had them previously for anxiety and they gave me Insomnia. But I was offered therapy. They told me it should take about 6 months to get an appointment but since having my conformation letter I’ve heard nothing since. Is 6 months too soon, Or should I try chasing up? Anyone been in this position recently?

Your best bet is to check with your GP if the referral has gone through.  Sometimes they haven't been sent so once you've checked with them, they'll be able to tell you what stage you're at.  From personal experience it can take over a year to be seen but if it's a desperate case, like mine, you can be sent for an immediate referral to services.  You could get sectioned if you go to one of these but it's unlikely.  They assess if you're in immediate danger and take the necessary steps, such as home visits and the like.  As you can imagine, the MH services are stretched very thin at the moment so unfortunately it can feel like you're forgotten about.

But yeah, speak to your GP first as they can tell you.  One thing I did regularly while waiting was email the Samaritans.  I didn't want to talk and by writing stuff down in email form was helpful.  They try and get reply to you within 24 hours.