Jump to content
Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

Recommended Posts

You'll probably need to go to a psychiatrist (which I have), but I've found Preglabin and Gabapentin both to work for my anxiety and also the double whammy of stopping my seizures. World is a happy place. Both been re-scheduled to Class C drugs, so you might need to go through hoops to get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That re-scheduling of pregabalin and gabapentin screwed up my meds. My doc even said as much that due to them being Class C now, he can't prescribe them until "all other options are exhausted". Several anti-anxiety, and painkillers (neuropathic) later, I await the day I can finally take them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What provisions are made for that child? If he has an autism diagnosis surely he’s getting a support member

He does have a full time member of support staff with him but this doesn't really help any. He has issues that are caused by his autism and then other (completely separate) behaviour issues. His mum however blames everything on his autism. 

Today for example in the space of an hour he threw water on someone else, cut up someone else's name tag, told another child to 'piss off' and then told me it wasn't swearing, was loud and disruptive and walked out of the class when he didn't want to do his work. 

This child knows that all of those things are wrong but makes clear choices to so them anyway. Mum then blames his behaviour choices on his autism. 

A member of management was in today for a previously planned observed lesson and commented themselves on how disruptive this boy is for everyone else and the effect it must be having on them. The headteacher then found me after school to say that she's going to look at putting other provisions into place so I'm feeling slightly more positive about the situation now but still stressed to fuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

He does have a full time member of support staff with him but this doesn't really help any. He has issues that are caused by his autism and then other (completely separate) behaviour issues. His mum however blames everything on his autism. 

Today for example in the space of an hour he threw water on someone else, cut up someone else's name tag, told another child to 'piss off' and then told me it wasn't swearing, was loud and disruptive and walked out of the class when he didn't want to do his work. 

This child knows that all of those things are wrong but makes clear choices to so them anyway. Mum then blames his behaviour choices on his autism. 

A member of management was in today for a previously planned observed lesson and commented themselves on how disruptive this boy is for everyone else and the effect it must be having on them. The headteacher then found me after school to say that she's going to look at putting other provisions into place so I'm feeling slightly more positive about the situation now but still stressed to fuck. 

Sounds like he shouldn’t be in mainstream school if his Autism is that severe. Mine just started a special needs school last week but is not violent. He’s non verbal though and is massively behind in his understanding so we knew he wouldn’t do well in a mainstream school. Especially the one he was going to because they were awful with him in nursery there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sounds like he shouldn’t be in mainstream school if his Autism is that severe. Mine just started a special needs school last week but is not violent. He’s non verbal though and is massively behind in his understanding so we knew he wouldn’t do well in a mainstream school. Especially the one he was going to because they were awful with him in nursery there.

The opinion of most of the staff in the school is that he's not suitable for mainstream. However mum won't agree to educating him elsewhere so as a school there's nothing we can do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bigfoote said:

That re-scheduling of pregabalin and gabapentin screwed up my meds. My doc even said as much that due to them being Class C now, he can't prescribe them until "all other options are exhausted". 

I had been through every anti-depressant you can think of for twenty years. I think the Shrink must have just prescribed it as a "last resort" thing for me. Got them easy enough. Shrink prescribed them, the GP did not, but I still got them.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

The opinion of most of the staff in the school is that he's not suitable for mainstream. However mum won't agree to educating him elsewhere so as a school there's nothing we can do. 

Is there anything that can be done to force her hand. How old is this kid, surely if there was a strong enough argument that he will turn into a physical safety risk for other kids he would have to be moved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like to point out that my daughter is severely autistic and attended a mainstream school with a specialist provision for 4 years. It can be done with the correct staffing and a willingness to compromise on both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course it can be. The school we had him at, are results driven. They broke every agreement in our one plan with them, only got 121 3 days a week, the staff would let him sleep for as long as he wanted if his key worker wasn't in, because it was less hassle. We are going through Ofsted as we were not satisfied with his treatment. But I understand if the support is correctly applied, most Autistic children will be fine in a mainstream school.

That said, he already is enjoying going to his new school more then he ever did his last one, so we were very fortunate to get a place there as it is such a small school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just like to point out that my daughter is severely autistic and attended a mainstream school with a specialist provision for 4 years. It can be done with the correct staffing and a willingness to compromise on both sides.

Absolutely it can be done and as a school we do have a large number of autistic children who we are getting it right for. Even within my own class there are two other autistic children who we are getting it right for. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the double post but I am absolutely fucking scunnered today. Feeling completely stressed out. 

The child I've previously written about in here is now escalating his behaviour. Today he was unhappy about something that had happened so spent two hours walking round the school with a bucket filled with soggy toilet roll throwing it indiscriminately at staff and other children. At one point I had to stand at my classroom door holding it shut so that he couldn't get back in and throw it at anyone else. Children are now telling me that they feel that their education is being ruined because of this child and that he is causing them upset or stress. 

I feel like we're failing the other 23 children in the class and the situation is now completely unfair on myself, them and everyone else in the school. 

I'm going home from work every day completely stressed out, knackered and dejected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you not call a best interests meeting? My son is severely autistic and in a  special needs school, even then some of the children are moved to a more suitable school as the current one can not meet the needs of the child. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunenately not. His mum has previously turned down specialist provision as she wants him educated in mainstream and refuses to change her mind even though he's not suitable for mainstream. 

As a school we can recommend that he is educated elsewhere but unless mum agrees to it then our hands are tied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

Unfortunenately not. His mum has previously turned down specialist provision as she wants him educated in mainstream and refuses to change her mind even though he's not suitable for mainstream. 

As a school we can recommend that he is educated elsewhere but unless mum agrees to it then our hands are tied. 

Sounds like someone needs to talk her into accepting. He must have some social support surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

Unfortunenately not. His mum has previously turned down specialist provision as she wants him educated in mainstream and refuses to change her mind even though he's not suitable for mainstream. 

As a school we can recommend that he is educated elsewhere but unless mum agrees to it then our hands are tied. 

Does the child have a SEN statement in place? If he does then the school should be able to say they cant meet the needs of the child requested in the statement. Legally the school must make sure those needs are met regardless of what mum wants or thinks. 

https://childlawadvice.org.uk/information-pages/special-educational-needs/

Having been though the system and had multiple friends do the same it sounds to me the school are letting both you and this child down. I dont want to clog the thread but if you need any advise im happy to help, feel free to fire me a PM. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...