Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

I have experience of working in this field and the most straight forward advice I can offer is pretty simple.. Talk and Listen.

People constantly encourage people to talk about their issues, and rightly so, it is good advice. But you have to make sure you’re talking to someone who has the ability to support you, otherwise it doesn’t work. Don’t unload your burden on to the first person who’ll listen just because you’re ready to do so. It’s not fair on them and it’s ultimately not fair on you. Speak to the right people, preferably professionals, they are trained and paid to deal with your issues.

Secondly.. Listen. It’s far too easy to unload your grief (when you’re at that point), and because you are, it can become far too easy to not listen to advice. A service such as a counselling, or seeing a psychologist doesn’t work for everyone, it’s usually because that person simply isn’t ready to either talk, or listen. It can be easy to fall in to a defeatist mentality, to the point you just don’t take advice on board, I didn’t when I was younger and claimed ‘it didn’t work’... in reality I simply wanted to inform, hoped for a magic wand, but was too stuck in that mind frame to follow instruction. If you’re advised to take medication, write a diary, eat certain foods, take time off work etc etc, do it. Don’t make excuses not to. 

Linked to that, the majority of medication can take approx 4-6 weeks as a very general average to get in to your system, and that’s if you take it exactly as prescribed. If you give it this amount of time and you still don’t believe it’s having an effect, go to your doctors, explain, and you’ll be weaned off properly, while possibly introducing a different med. Don’t simply stop taking/cold turkey, it can seriously fuck you up. 

To anyone going through shit at the moment, best of luck, it is beatable. Please try to keep some of the above in mind.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I was diagnosed with severe depression, bi-polar and PTSD after my body basically broke down and left me wheelchair bound 90% of the time. It was the change in lifestyle and feeling of general worthlessness that was the cause, as well as my employer basically being wankers and making my life a misery because I wasn't able to do the things I could when I was set on(the mental health worker said this caused the PTSD).

After a few dark years(and more than one suicide atemp) I had a bit of a breakthrough and it was reviewing films online for some friends I met through my love of horror films(wouldn't have met them if I wasn't housebound at the time) and writing for an indie Horror magazine.

Ended up writing an article for said magazine when they did a "Disabilities in Horror" month entitled "A Horror A Day, Keeps The Doctor Away" detailing my struggles and how I used my love for the genre to almost self medicate. This actually led to 34 people contacting me on Twitter and by email thanking me, offering advice and asking for advice on mental health issues. It has given me something to focus on and now keep in touch with about a dozen of those who contacted me, and we all support each other.

I extend that offer to anyone on here too(or anyone who needs someone anonymous to talk to). Feel free to send me a PM...

Most of my story is in public domain, so I don’t need to hide much. It’s even public on my works site 

2016 I reached a low point and got help. Low confidence in myself refused me to feeling very low and getting anxious about everything. Went to doctor, was put on a ten week cbt and it really helped me change my behaviours

since then, have had low days but I know how to get through them . I keep myself more socially active, going to 66 wrestling shows last year kept me busy and always having something to look forward to. I have made a new group of friends from it, both close and in my wider circle I see at shows. 

I try and keep an eye out for others , if I see someone struggling I’ll talk to them, if I see someone I know struggles to quiet I’ll contact them then too. I don’t class my feeling low as depression, as I always wanted to make myself feel better so don’t think it was that strong. I don’t have the answers to everything, I just know what works for me. But happy to help others by just chatting about anything, and will be doing more runs this year to both give me something to focus on, and to help MH uk who I started fundraising for last year 

Bit of an update, i have now done a total of just over 30 miles walking within the past 6 days, and it sure does help me to feel a bit better! My legs hurt though! Im looking forward to the spring/summer and i can get out into countryside walks again without being balls deep in mud! 

Also, nhs self help leaflets are available here https://web.ntw.nhs.uk/selfhelp/, free of charge for upto 3. What you need to do to get them for free is find the ones you want, then email pic@ntw.nhs.uk telling them the ones you want and your full postal address. My 3 arrived a few days ago, and are actually quite useful 

Edited by Ralphy

Hello gang, I've been on Citalopram/Sertraline for 9 years now, have had a year of psychotherapy for a while back multiple courses of CBT and along with lots of people struggle every day with shit. If anyone wants to message me, please do.

I think it's incredible what happened before with this type of thread. I hope that cunt gets their just desserts. I will NEVER hide or apologise for my illness, so yeah, if anyone wants to tell my employer, feel free, they already know as I told them in my interview :) Love to you all...

15 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Hello gang, I've been on Citalopram/Sertraline for 9 years now, have had a year of psychotherapy for a while back multiple courses of CBT and along with lots of people struggle every day with shit. If anyone wants to message me, please do.

I think it's incredible what happened before with this type of thread. I hope that cunt gets their just desserts. I will NEVER hide or apologise for my illness, so yeah, if anyone wants to tell my employer, feel free, they already know as I told them in my interview :) Love to you all...

I agree with this. I just hope that one day everyone is comfortable and confident enough to not feel the need to hide mental health issues. I hid mine from my mates for years, but opening up and being honest with them was the best thing I ever did to help deal with my problems... 

5 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I agree with this. I just hope that one day everyone is comfortable and confident enough to not feel the need to hide mental health issues. I hid mine from my mates for years, but opening up and being honest with them was the best thing I ever did to help deal with my problems... 

Absolutely. Everyone fights their own fight and every struggle is individual to that person.

I was lucky enough to have an incredible person who loved, supported me and helped me (and continues to), but it was a struggle to admit to the wider world.

This place has helped an enormous amount to be honest.

During 2017 my physical health was a mess with my epilepsy going in to overdrive (100+ seizures). This has had a negative effect on my mental health leading to me being sectioned and hospitalized twice. With all this going on I have had to wind down to part time at work in a job I love which was a massive downer. Long term therapy is being sorted. Things have been positive for me this year so far. Me and a lass I have liked for a long time have started dating over the last few weeks and things have been going well with that. The seizures seemed to have calmed down which has been great for the mental health. I hope to bump up my hours at work by the summer however understand I need to take things slowly. The last thing I need is to get overwhelmed again.

I also wish everyone well in here too. Reading through what everyone else has gone through shows that I am not alone and there's a definite sense of unity between the forum members which is great to see.

17 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I agree with this. I just hope that one day everyone is comfortable and confident enough to not feel the need to hide mental health issues.

I agree, but on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with dealing with these things privately if that's what works for you. For a long time I felt (and sometimes still do feel) a bit of a hypocrite for always praising others who speak out publicly about their own struggles, while keeping mine to myself, and in its own way it just became one more thing I was beating myself up over. I'm more open about things now anyway, but I just thought it worth mentioning that one can confuse keeping things private with hiding them.

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I agree, but on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with dealing with these things privately if that's what works for you. For a long time I felt (and sometimes still do feel) a bit of a hypocrite for always praising others who speak out publicly about their own struggles, while keeping mine to myself, and in its own way it just became one more thing I was beating myself up over. I'm more open about things now anyway, but I just thought it worth mentioning that one can confuse keeping things private with hiding them.

To be honest, it was more me hoping that we as a society can collectively chalk fuck on the stigma that still exists around mental illness.

I was lucky that I had a group of friends and family that were there for me and didn't label me when I opened up to them. But I have a cousin who's friend was diagnosed with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses and to a man, every one of his close friends immediately distanced them selves from him as they didn't understand his issues and were scared to hang out with someone who had "cracked up"(their words, not mine...)

Oh, I absolutely agree - the stigma around mental health is awful, and it's atrocious that it's a conversation we even still have to have today. Just wanted to chime in and say there's a weird way that can almost double back on itself and make you feel bad for not speaking out against that, or being very open about your illness, because - personally, anyway - I've always felt almost as if I'm letting the side down if I'm somehow not actively working to make it more accepted and understood, but that can just be exhausting in itself.

Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if any of you tried using medical marijuana for anxieties and migraine? I've been suffering severe anxiety for almost a year now and been given a prescription for Benzodiazepines for my medication. But i heard alot of people telling me that marijuana helps relieve anxiety but im not im not sure if its true so i came up to search something about this idea and came across this marijuana strain from https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/cinex/ it says that i can discard all forms of stress and its euphoric buzz it delivers often is useful in combating anxiety and depression. I wanted to hear your thoughts about this guys and if you can give me any tips that can help me with my anxieties. Thank you!  

anyone else taken citalopram? im back on meds now, i just got them today. I used to take my old ones before bed, should i do that with these? what are your experiences on these tablets peeps? Feel free to pm if u prefer 

I was on them for years, used to take mine in the morning.  They take a while to bed in and might make you feel worse to begin with but that's the case for most meds of that kind.  After about 5 years they stopped working so I changed to Sertraline.  Citalopram did the job for me, it didn't for others but just see how you go, and good luck.