Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

Jesus @deathrey I'm really sorry to hear about that, it sounds like a lot to deal with at one time.

Have you been to the Doctors? You've been through massively traumatic events and the best advice I can give you is go to there and get yourself signed off for some time. 

Personally from experience it's usually two weeks, which granted, isn't a lot, but at work probably isn't the best place for you right now. 

Give yourself all the time that you need, there is no quick fix for what you've been through and right now, your mental health should be the most important thing to you and the people that love you. Best of luck to you 

No, I haven't been to my GP, just the doctors I've seen in hospital.  I've never been signed off sick before and I don't know why I feel so reticent to do it... I guess it makes it all so much more real, I've always been one for burying my head in the sand and carrying on. Even when I was diagnosed with depression and had therapy, I didn't take any time off work, it was a distraction.

Thank you for the well wishes

Edited by deathrey

First off, @deathrey, my condolences to you and your family.  I can't imagine the pain you're going through.  The thing for me with getting signed off is the fear of not being believed.  It is clear that you need time, both mentally and physically to recover what you've been through.  Your GP will know the best thing to do but it must start with recuperation.

Best wishes to you.

Definitely get yourself booked to see your GP, they can advise you on what the best course of action is both physically and mentally. If you feel up to doing light duties at work then your work should be helpful in letting you choose what you think is best.

9 minutes ago, deathrey said:

No, I haven't been to my GP, just the doctors I've seen in hospital.  I've never been signed off sick before and I don't know why I feel so reticent to do it... I guess it makes it all so much more real, I've always been one for burying my head in the sand and carrying on. Even when I was diagnosed with depression and had therapy, I didn't take any time off work, it was a distraction.

Thank you for the well wishes

Absolutely get that, it took me about 3 hours outside the practice before I walked in there. The fear is that you won't be listened to or understood, but I told them what was wrong, that I couldn't go to work and I needed to be signed off and they did. I don't imagine it's always quite that straightforward, but as the other guys have echoed, you need time to heal. Unfortunately you won't get that whilst working, no matter how distracting it is.

I've just rung my docs surgery and booked an appointment for Monday. I think I'll try going in to work on Monday and see what they are willing to do, if they expect me to do my full role, I'll put in a sick note.

18 hours ago, deathrey said:

I've just rung my docs surgery and booked an appointment for Monday. I think I'll try going in to work on Monday and see what they are willing to do, if they expect me to do my full role, I'll put in a sick note.

First off sorry for everything you've been through. It sounds awful. 

I think it may be problematic if you go into work. You already know what you want. Just go to the doctor and get signed off. If you allow yourself to go in (you've hinted they're not likely to be lenient, which is bonkers for a school) you might get into an argument, or best case feel resentment for not being allowed to moderate your duties. 

You should ask about being referred for counselling. Talking about all this with a professional will help enormously. 

I have a two week sick note and haven't gone back to work. I feel physically exhausted ALL the time unless I'm in bed, then I struggle to sleep. 

We have a trained counsellor who works in school, she has started doing drop in sessions with staff and my boss has strongly suggested I go to see her once I'm back at work. My doctor gave me a few contacts for bereavement/miscarriage counselling too.

I think something that is becoming a big issue for me is that I feel quite isolated at the moment. I moved 2 hours down the country to be with my then boyfriend now husband 2 years ago and all my friends and family are up north. Friend seem to struggle to know what to say to me on the phone/via text, I understand that as there is only so much they can say. I need some face to face interaction but other than my husband, I don't really have anyone here. I used to be quite sociable but I've struggled here and the miscarriage has made me lose any motivation I had (and I didn't have tons to start with). I guess I have to start with the motivation first and then look at ways to make friends here but it's bloody hard as an adult

Edited by deathrey

Any hobbies or interests you can explore in your new community, Death Rey? 

Doing something you enjoy or finding something new will help and if your able to befriend and meet new people by doing it then you're making good strides. 

All the best to you. 

Not really, I used to kickbox/MMA but it's not really a good thing to get back in to whilst I'm trying to get pregnant. I tried the gym and yoga classes but that didn't really work for me. 

I did think about joining a book club but wasn't sure I'd be able to keep up as I tend to loose interest in books that aren't grabbing my attention very quickly and it becomes a chore. Maybe I need to just give it a go and see what happeneds? It's the only thing on the Meetups website that remotely appeals to me. A lot of the others seem to be focused around drinking or specific sports and I don't drink, I'm also about as sporty as a teapot.

I think i need to go back on medication, sadly. i think it will be for anxiety/thinking too much and sleeping, as i do too much of the anxiety and i cant sleep enough to ever feel energized enough to work. i wouldn't say i feel too depressed or anything really, its mostly anxiety and the lack of sleeping ability that having a impact upon my quality of life and ability to do my job

I can generally drop off to sleep no problem, but i keep waking up and cant get back to sleep after a few hours most of the time 

Having been on various meds over the years, the last ones being seroquel, from my experience they do help me sleep but thats about it. anyone got any experiences with the best meds to help solves my issues?

The side effects are the reason i dont want to go back on meds, but i think its a needs must situation 

Edited by Ralphy

On 11/23/2018 at 6:47 PM, King Pitcos said:

Hey lads, I’ve been prescribed 20mg citalopram. The doctor says it might give me the shits.

i have also been prescribed this today, anyone else taken it? what are your experiences of it?

i am disappointed in myself that i need to return to medication, but i think its the only way i can function enough to have my job and keep it 

2 hours ago, Ralphy said:

i have also been prescribed this today, anyone else taken it? what are your experiences of it?

i am disappointed in myself that i need to return to medication, but i think its the only way i can function enough to have my job and keep it 

Took it for about 8 months, then they moved me onto escitalopram. Yeah, common side effect is curry shits, would advise taking it late night or early morning, never midday. But see how you go on it. Don't ever be disappointed in having to have meds, at the end of the day, it's a chemical imbalance in the same way diabetes is a chemical imbalance. Diabetics can be diet controlled or need insulin. Depressants can deal with it holistically or need some help from meds.