Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

10 minutes ago, hallicks said:

I hid my birthday on FB this year and got zero messages about it until my wife felt sorry for me and posted a message on my wall about 10pm.

Again, I need to stress that it’s not that I haven’t got any messages on Facebook, it’s that a lot of my close friends haven’t even bothered to shoot me a quick text. I couldn’t really care less about the people on Facebook who pop up once a year, my point was more that my close friends have been active on social media all day so lack of time, or even forgetfulness, isn’t really a valid excuse. My best mate even messaged me about Summerslam, yet he still hasn’t wished me a happy birthday. Bitterly disappointing.

Thanks @SuperBacon, I’m trying!

Take a breath my friend and just remember that not everyone holds the same priorities and values as you. To some people birthdays are irrelevant, and to some they’re not. I have quite a few mates, some of them would text, some wouldn’t. But that has no bearing on their level of friendship or how fondly they think of me. I have another mate who will never ever text me first about anything. I have to organise everything we do, I have to check on him first all the time etc etc, and that’s fine because that’s what he’s like. I hope you enjoy the rest of your birthday 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Again, I need to stress that it’s not that I haven’t got any messages on Facebook, it’s that a lot of my close friends haven’t even bothered to shoot me a quick text. I couldn’t really care less about the people on Facebook who pop up once a year, my point was more that my close friends have been active on social media all day so lack of time, or even forgetfulness, isn’t really a valid excuse. My best mate even messaged me about Summerslam, yet he still hasn’t wished me a happy birthday. Bitterly disappointing.

Thanks @SuperBacon, I’m trying!

Sorry dude. Belated happy returns. 

@Ralphy, sorry for the delay, I'm also on escitalopram and I found if I take it first thing, the drowsiness is manageable when it kicks in, I'm on 20mg, and still settling into it.

45 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

@Ralphy, sorry for the delay, I'm also on escitalopram and I found if I take it first thing, the drowsiness is manageable when it kicks in, I'm on 20mg, and still settling into it.

My GP today said he wants to keep me on the small 5mg dose as my psychotherapist has come to the conclusion that I need to gradually come off all medications - Subutex first and then escitalopram, so being on only 5mg of escitalopram will make it quite easy to come off. On the other hand, my key worker wants to add Quetiapine also known as Seroquel to the mix so I'm kind of getting mixed messages about what my future holds. Certainly, it's about time to slowly taper down and off Subutex or I'll end up being reliant on it for the rest of my life. That's my first focus.

My psychotherapist reckons once I come off Subutex I should come off any anti-anxiety or antidepressants I'm on, too, because he thinks I've sort of dulled myself to the world or sort of rounded off life's hard edges and that it's healthier for me to experience those hard edges. I'm not sure about that, considering the way I was when I wasn't medicated.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

That's interesting, my GP, when considering the dosage, said that due to my size, he felt the 10mg "intro" dose wasn't going to be enough. To be fair, I was on 200mg Sertraline and tapered off to start the escitalopram. We're currently putting me through a load of tests and shit to weed out any undiagnosed stuff, partly due to me fighting for ESA (waiting for Tribunal now). 

I'm still on a waiting list for psych, thank you overstretched NHS.

24 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

That's interesting, my GP, when considering the dosage, said that due to my size, he felt the 10mg "intro" dose wasn't going to be enough. To be fair, I was on 200mg Sertraline and tapered off to start the escitalopram. We're currently putting me through a load of tests and shit to weed out any undiagnosed stuff, partly due to me fighting for ESA (waiting for Tribunal now). 

I'm still on a waiting list for psych, thank you overstretched NHS.

Took me over a year to get into psychotherapy and that was through a substance abuse service.

On the escitalopram, my GP said that the 5mg dose is effective for anxiety and that doses higher than that deal more with depression but drepession is a massive part of my mental health issues so I'm not sure why he's keeping me on such a low dose other than for the fact that'll be easier to come off when the time comes. I was on mirtazapine but the side effectsfects (increased aggression/shorter temper, weight gain, massive swelling in my legs, one of which only recently healed from a severe break), when I told my GP about them, he switched me off and onto escitalopram.

13 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

My GP today said he wants to keep me on the small 5mg dose as my psychotherapist has come to the conclusion that I need to gradually come off all medications - Subutex first and then escitalopram, so being on only 5mg of escitalopram will make it quite easy to come off. On the other hand, my key worker wants to add Quetiapine also known as Seroquel to the mix so I'm kind of getting mixed messages about what my future holds. Certainly, it's about time to slowly taper down and off Subutex or I'll end up being reliant on it for the rest of my life. That's my first focus.

My psychotherapist reckons once I come off Subutex I should come off any anti-anxiety or antidepressants I'm on, too, because he thinks I've sort of dulled myself to the world or sort of rounded off life's hard edges and that it's healthier for me to experience those hard edges. I'm not sure about that, considering the way I was when I wasn't medicated.

I took seroquel 100mg, then 50mg for around 7 years, its knocked me around a bit, often left me very tired, lifeless with little energy, severe dry mouth and in an almost comatose state at times, However it did make me feel better about myself, less aggressive and it helped me sleep better. I wouldn't recommend going on it, personally, but only you know whats best 

Anyone been on/tried Propranolol? My GP prescribed them with my diazepam (both of my GP's are tight-fisted with valium, it's honestly like trying to pitch an idea to the dragons to get my regular dose these days, but it's the only thing that works). Anyway, Propranolol, read a bunch of success stories on drugs.com and other forums, so I'm cautiously giving it a go. The only thing I fear may be a detriment is the sides, one of which is insomnia; something I've managed to keep in check recently.  

20 minutes ago, Richard said:

Anyone been on/tried Propranolol? My GP prescribed them with my diazepam (both of my GP's are tight-fisted with valium, it's honestly like trying to pitch an idea to the dragons to get my regular dose these days, but it's the only thing that works). Anyway, Propranolol, read a bunch of success stories on drugs.com and other forums, so I'm cautiously giving it a go. The only thing I fear may be a detriment is the sides, one of which is insomnia; something I've managed to keep in check recently.  

Yep I take them for severe migraines. They've actually helped a bit, so I would preserve with them. They are beta blockers so they help with anxiety too as they block the "fight or flight" response. Haven't really had insomnia, in fact sleep is fairly good. You can get weird dreams/nightmares with them though. Another thing if you have asthma/breathing problems I would be careful as it can make it worse. They are usually prescribed in smaller dosages for migraines/high blood pressure/anxiety so they shouldn't be too bad. They also cause cold hands & feet (Raynaud's syndrome) too. But for all the different types of medication I've tried for migraines they actually have been most effective. 

@Richard My brother takes Propranolol and he sleeps like a brick, missing days type of sleep but that could be the other stuff he has with it.

As for me, still nothing is working. I've been through 5 different SSRI's now. Still insanely depressed, down-spirited and I have no idea who or what I am anymore. I've regressed so much but the impetus to come out of the other side of this is still burning. I will be well and truly fucked if that goes.

I hope all is well with everyone else and take care.

As far as I understand it, propanolol used in a mental health capacity is essentially to help with near-panic attacks. From everything I've read, it's not particularly effective with day-to-day GAD, but they're trying to prescribe anything they can so as not to prescribe benzodiazepines like diazepam. I am on 5mg (a very low dose) of escitalopram. My doctor said that at that dose level, it acts more on anxiety than it does on depression (where you'd need 10-20mg daily doses). I do think it has had a positive affect on my general anxiety levels. That said, I always keep bags of diazepam and Xanax around just in case (and also sometimes for a bit of being a druggie).

Pitching to your doctor that he give you or that he increase a current dose of diazepam makes them less likely to prescribe them and more likely to label you a drug seeker. I don't even broach the subject with my doctors anymore. It's easy enough to get diazepam without a doctor and self-medicate. You have to be extremely careful, of course, not to wind up with a benzo dependancy that will be hell to come off, but it can be done. I have noticed a big trend in people with severe anxiety now resorting to self-medicating because of doctor's reluctance to prescribe benzos in any circumstances. You might get lucky and get a doctor who understands that while, yes, benzos are addictive and very difficult to come off once you've developed a dependency, but they are also highly effective (and in some cases, the only thing that does the job) for many people. 

Edited by SpursRiot2012

I wasn't really sure where to put this so here I guess. I've just had the worst month of my life. My grandma - who lived with my family, which covered the ages 5 till 32 (I'm 35 now) for me was taken in to hospital with high blood pressure at the beginning of the month - she has no real health problems other than her blood pressure. Within 30 hours of being admitted she was in palliative care as her lungs and heart started to fail. Within 72 hours of being taken from home, she passed away. It hit me really hard. She was old so I should have expected it but it was still a shock. I work in a school and took time off to be with her as she passed and for the funeral. I went back to work the day after and regretted it because I was so emotional, I talked to my boss who was sympathetic but made it clear she wanted me at work.

Me and my husband have been trying for a baby for over a year. On Monday I started to bleed really heavily, my husband took me to hospital and was told by A &E that I was having a miscarriage. They said I was 11 weeks and it was the worst experience of my life, I literally had blood pouring out of me whilst sat in the waiting room in A & E because they couldn't find me a bed. Emotionally I'm such a mess and don't know what to do with myself, I have so many what ifs going through my head though the hospital have said there is nothing I could have done to prevent it. My sister in law is also pregnant and is 4 weeks ahead of me, she's a twat anyway but I'm really struggling to even speak to her now, I feel like she's just rubbing it all in my face. I'm on half term at the moment but due to go back to work on Monday and don't know what to do. I don't want to be sat at home thinking about things but at the same time I don't have the emotional capacity to cope with my job which involves a lot of emotionally supporting students as I work in safeguarding. I want to go in and just do admin work rather than my job but I don't know if they will let me. My husband has told me to go off sick as I have been through a lot the past few weeks but I don't know what to do. I just want to sit and cry but I know if I just sit and do that, I will struggle to pull myself out of it. Physically I am ok other than still losing blood but mentally I'm a total mess. I've struggled with depression in the past and this feels quite different, I don't know if I just need time.

Edited by deathrey