Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

I've been seeing a psychotherapist for about six weeks now. I can't say it's helping much. I'm struggling to see the point of it. We discuss my feelings of ambivalence and how I'm a bit stuck in a rut, but I don't make any progress away from that.

In fact, he weirdly seems to be implying that I should embrace some of the behaviours that used to get me in trouble - the drinking, the smashing things, the self-harming. He thinks I'm mediated now to the point where the "hard edges" of life aren't there for me.

Anyone else had experience of one to one psychotherapy? I might quit.

6 hours ago, Wretch said:

Does anyone know anything about getting signed off work for a bit?

I've got an emergency appointment at the doc tonight. Is it just a case of telling them what happened and they give you a letter to give to work? Never been signed off before so I've no idea what to expect.

Been through this with dad and mum's passing. Best advice, if a little late for today, be straight with the doc and tell him you can't face work for a bit. They will do you a "fit note" for you to give your boss. If you still can face work, they can be issued to extend the period.

Quick word of warning to people, i looked up various things online and saw that a supplement called "l-tyrosine" could help with some issues i have such as sleep, mental performance, exercise performance and generally improving mood/dopamine. 

Sadly, it caused me crippling anxiety and activated my "fight or flight" worse than i think i have ever had it, AVOID!!!! 

I think I mentioned in here that the doctor switched me from mirtazapine to escitalopram, which is different to normal citalopram.

I have noticed an improvement in my mood and anxiety (it's prescribed for major depressive disorders and general anxiety disorder) however it causes the most extreme fatigue I've ever experienced in my life.

I had to leave work at lunch today because I would be writing an email to a client, nod off and the jolt awake, with a sentence of nonsense written or I'd nod off standing up taking a piss.

Anyone have any advice on this? I take my dose before bed, maybe taking it in the morning will make the fatigue come at a more convenient time? Or any tips for overcoming fatigue in general?

3 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I think I mentioned in here that the doctor switched me from mirtazapine to escitalopram, which is different to normal citalopram.

I have noticed an improvement in my mood and anxiety (it's prescribed for major depressive disorders and general anxiety disorder) however it causes the most extreme fatigue I've ever experienced in my life.

I had to leave work at lunch today because I would be writing an email to a client, nod off and the jolt awake, with a sentence of nonsense written or I'd nod off standing up taking a piss.

Anyone have any advice on this? I take my dose before bed, maybe taking it in the morning will make the fatigue come at a more convenient time? Or any tips for overcoming fatigue in general?

do you notice a certain time of day the fatigue kicks in, or is it from the time you wake up?

if its a certain time, say 1pm everyday, then it may be an idea to adjust when you take it, but as always i suggest asking a pharmacy or something if in doubt

Most anxiety/depression meds caused me extreme fatigue very similar to what you are describing, i felt very dopey and weak when on them 

1 minute ago, Ralphy said:

do you notice a certain time of day the fatigue kicks in, or is it from the time you wake up?

if its a certain time, say 1pm everyday, then it may be an idea to adjust when you take it, but as always i suggest asking a pharmacy or something if in doubt

Most anxiety/depression meds caused me extreme fatigue very similar to what you are describing, i felt very dopey and weak when on them 

Usually around 9am so I figure if I take it at 9am instead of 9pm, the fatigue won't affect my work.

Today is my birthday and I don’t think I’ve ever felt as lonely as I do right now.

I went out for drinks on Saturday and hardly anyone bothered to turn up, and the ones that did all left early for really shitty reasons, and now today only two friends have wished me a happy birthday. I appreciate they’re all probably in work, but they’ve all been active on Facebook etc. It makes me feel really childish saying that sort of thing, but it’s actually quite upsetting.

I’m seeing a girl who’s currently living in North Wales until she starts work in Cardiff next month. She knows when my birthday is, but I even had to remind her last night that it was today. She sent me a happy birthday text this morning, but she’s just been on her lunch break for the past hour and I didn’t get a quick phone call to say hello or anything, and now she’s got plans all evening so I’m unlikely to speak to her all day.

I realise how whiny and childish this all sounds, and I’m not posting this to look for sympathy, but it’s really gotten me down and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

They don't sound like very good friends (the ones you met up with). Facebook friends not wishing you a happy birthday I wouldn't worry about. I get so many people with birthdays on Facebook that these days unless it's someone I really, specifically know and like in real life and actually see quite often, I don't bother leaving a message.

Yeah I’m more talking about my real-life friends who haven’t bothered to wish me a happy birthday, who have been active all day on Facebook, so can’t exactly use “I’ve been too busy” as an excuse. Like I said, I know it sounds childish, but it’s made me feel like shit.

I hid my birthday on FB this year and got zero messages about it until my wife felt sorry for me and posted a message on my wall about 10pm.