Sign in to follow this  
Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

Barry, Mulv I've lost your numbers as I lost my phone and got a new one quite a while ago. I've deleted my social media as I just want a fucking rest. I cufrrently can't but it'll come. I'm not dead though, Just want to sleep.

I'm doing okay, despite the fact that after my surgery on Thursday I was told I need a hysterectomy (at 35)

Started a new job (i new i wouldn't like it from the get go, only applied cos it backs onto my house so no travel). I was only there for 3 hours today and anxiety has kicked me to the curb, i felt fine beforehand. The mower i was using was/is playing up, something wrong with the blade, its kinda bent so it digs in the ground and stops itself dead at times. I dont know if it was already like that, or if someone else has done it and not said anything hoping someone else would get the blame or even if i did it without realizing . My legs have turned to jelly through anxiety of it all and my focus/concentration went away and i started making more and more mistakes on a different task, it only takes the slightest thing to set me off and i hate it, anyone else suffer with this (i hope not by the way)

ive only been there since Monday, they are aware of my MH issues but theres no way i can say that i feel like this already only a few days into the job 

Its a cleaning job, from 4pm - 7pm mon - friday, however im doing extra hours at the moment, its messed up my routine, and i really struggle to cope without a fairly set routine. I shouldn't have applied. I feel very ashamed of myself being 32 and being a cleaner, i dont feel its beneath me or anything like that, but i know i can do better and i feel that my family are ashamed, arghh, so annoying! 

Why cant stuff be free so none of us have to suffer like this just to get by? 

Edited by Ralphy

2 hours ago, Ralphy said:

its messed up my routine

This cannot be understated.  Any change to a routine has huge effects, it's not so much a ripple in a pond but a tsunami in the ocean.  Even something like a bus timetable being changed can bring on all kinds of anxiety.  What you've done is an absolutely massive change to routine, you don't think it but honestly you should be really proud of yourself for even trying.  

About your family, I'll ask what I asked someone earlier.  Do you know for a fact your family are ashamed or is it your opinion?  I don't know them but I'd bet they're proud of you for showing such courage.  Remember when you judge yourself when in an anxious or depressive mindset, it isn't a fair trial.  Only the prosecution get a say and the defence don't get to present a case, so throw it out of court because you aren't fit to hear the trial.

You've done brilliantly, even if you quit the job you've done brilliantly.

On 25/04/2018 at 4:27 PM, Ralphy said:

Started a new job (i new i wouldn't like it from the get go, only applied cos it backs onto my house so no travel). I was only there for 3 hours today and anxiety has kicked me to the curb, i felt fine beforehand. The mower i was using was/is playing up, something wrong with the blade, its kinda bent so it digs in the ground and stops itself dead at times. I dont know if it was already like that, or if someone else has done it and not said anything hoping someone else would get the blame or even if i did it without realizing . My legs have turned to jelly through anxiety of it all and my focus/concentration went away and i started making more and more mistakes on a different task, it only takes the slightest thing to set me off and i hate it, anyone else suffer with this (i hope not by the way)

ive only been there since Monday, they are aware of my MH issues but theres no way i can say that i feel like this already only a few days into the job 

Its a cleaning job, from 4pm - 7pm mon - friday, however im doing extra hours at the moment, its messed up my routine, and i really struggle to cope without a fairly set routine. I shouldn't have applied. I feel very ashamed of myself being 32 and being a cleaner, i dont feel its beneath me or anything like that, but i know i can do better and i feel that my family are ashamed, arghh, so annoying! 

Why cant stuff be free so none of us have to suffer like this just to get by? 

Meh. I was working at McDonalds in my thirties. It was embarrassing at the time. Especially since I was shit at it for months but talking to my family, who are all relatively successful in their chosen fields, they were actually really proud that I was willing to take it, and try and make the best of it. I ended up really liking the job. Got fucking great at it as well as ridiculous as that sounds.

Aside from that, I know this is a week old post, and I hope you're feeling better, but I wanted to add that I suffer from similar anxiety issues. I've got Post-Concussion syndrome, which has caused me a lot of issues with depression and anxiety, particularly when I'm tired. It really isn't ideal when you're a Chef. I've quit a couple of jobs in the past year because they were just fucking me up. I started both like a house on fire but, as you say, it would only take one mistake and I'd just go to pieces. At one place I was so anxious and nervous all the time that I actually jumped and dropped something when someone spoke to me.

I'm having some ridiculous anxiety at the moment as well. I'm basically out of work (was covering for my old Head Chef who was ill) and I need to ask my old tutor if I can use him as a reference. He's said yes previously but he never responded to my work's request for one and ignored me emailing him as well. The rational part of me is aware that there is probably an innocent explanation, because we got on really well, but I can't shake the fear that he suddenly hates me or something. I'm completely aware of how daft that is but that just makes me feel even stupider.

Ended up back in the psych unit for the second time in six months. Voluntarily again. Mental health has gone through the floor as routine keeps getting interrupted, I'm never knowing whether I'm coming or going with relation to housing and relationships and friendships are proving too difficult for me to comprehend. 

Bought five gb of data for my stay so gonna just watch botchamania for the next few days. 

Hope u r feeling better @Shy Dad

I am going to have to go to the docs on tuesday and get a sick note, my employers are aware of my issues but are not supportive and im struggling and crying my eyes out everytime i get home

Since they are not supportive, what do u all think is the best course of action? 

I am trying a suppliment called "5htp" at the moment and i have noticed a positive difference, its worth a go for anyone not already on medication, 200mg 6 month supply is under £15

I think I'm on the verge of a breakdown. After considering suicide last year I've seen some really big, positive changes in my life, to the point where I recently considered myself happy for the first time in years. I've been at my job a little over a year and have become really good at it, to the point where more experienced people ask me for help and I've been picking up a lot of extra duties. It's not something I enjoy but I've been able to tolerate it. But when I was taking the job there were two roles mentioned, the one I've been doing and one I point blank told them I refused to do because it's not something I'd be comfortable doing.

On Friday they decided to move me to the other role with no warning, gave me less than 2 hours training, and are now expecting me to be up to speed with people who have been doing the job for years. I spent most of Friday blankly staring at a screen, trying to teach myself what to do, but it wasn't sinking in. Figured I'd pick it up on Monday. Yesterday rolls around, after a terrible night's sleep and an upset stomach I called in sick. I'm back in today and find that the target has increased from the number I was given on Friday, and now I'm a day behind in terms of learning and experience.

I've been sitting here since 9 trying to get to grips with what I'm supposed to be doing but it doesn't make any sense to me. I've been applying for other jobs over the past couple of weeks, this morning I was offered an interview for a job I'm severely unqualified for which I turned down, because why waste my time? And this is causing its own set of problems. I've maxed out my potential at this job and they've forced a lateral (at best) move on me, there's obviously no room for progression. I'm working in finance but have a degree in filmmaking, so it feels like lateral moves are the best I can really aspire to if I'm looking elsewhere. Every time I try to learn how to do this job or try to just get the work started, anxiety is kicking in and I want to up and leave. I've become seriously unhappy within the last few days and don't see any options, what am I supposed to do if my job is giving me mental health problems, but I feel like I'm trapped in it and can't afford to quit?

Does anybody have any experience taking Aconite 30c while on Mirtazapine? I’m suffering from severe anxiety at the moment and I’ve been recommended the former, but I can’t seem to find a single website that discusses taking both at the same time.

to be honest, its a fairly stock answer, but i suggest you go to the doctors or something with a query like that, if of course the anxiety isnt so bad that you cant face going. 

Does anyone know anything about getting signed off work for a bit?

Sadly, my 26 y/o brother took his own life a few weeks ago after a long battle with his mental health. Went back to work last Wednesday but just couldn't face it at all. For some strange reason I done more crying at work than I did at the funeral and cremation. I think it might've been the fact that everything had died down at that stage and I was trying to get back to some sort of normality. Or maybe I'm talking shite, who knows. 

I've got an emergency appointment at the doc tonight. Is it just a case of telling them what happened and they give you a letter to give to work? Never been signed off before so I've no idea what to expect.

Edited by Wretch

Jesus, mate.  That's horrific.  My thoughts are with you and your family.  Yes, your doctor will sign you off and just give the note to your work.  I'd advise work that this is the route you are taking and hopefully they'll be supportive.  For such a horrible situation I can't see why they wouldn't be.

Really hope you are as ok as you can be.  It makes sense what you are saying about the crying, no doubt you were being strong for the rest of your family but now you are trying to return to normality, the shield has come down and you can begin your own personal grieving process.  My PMs are open should you need them, buddy.