Ralphy

The Mental Health thread

Well, this Mirtazapine knocks me out a little bit so taking it any time other than before bed is asking for trouble. 

15 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Well, this Mirtazapine knocks me out a little bit so taking it any time other than before bed is asking for trouble. 

I took that before Christmas, and it was awful for me. I swear, every time I hit the pillow, I'd have these strange nightmares. The odd one I'm alright with, but every time I went to sleep my head was filled with all sorts. Not nightmares about monsters or One Man Gang giving me the 747 splash. Like stuff where all my anxiety fears are morphed into a scenario in a real life setting. It was dreadful. Came off them after a fortnight.

On Sertroline currently. It's a pain in the arse. Spaced out a lot of times from it. Wish I could just find a perfect balance, but the side effects from taking new stuff really frighten me.

2 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

On Sertroline currently. It's a pain in the arse

I thought you were meant to take it orally? 

4 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I took that before Christmas, and it was awful for me. I swear, every time I hit the pillow, I'd have these strange nightmares. The odd one I'm alright with, but every time I went to sleep my head was filled with all sorts. Not nightmares about monsters or One Man Gang giving me the 747 splash. Like stuff where all my anxiety fears are morphed into a scenario in a real life setting. It was dreadful. Came off them after a fortnight.

On Sertroline currently. It's a pain in the arse. Spaced out a lot of times from it. Wish I could just find a perfect balance, but the side effects from taking new stuff really frighten me.

Weird how different medications, with the same general aims, can have such different outcomes on different people. I came off sertraline because it worked too well. I felt basically nothing about nothing. Not happy, not sad, nothing. It was sucky. Yet after four days or so on Mirtazapine I feel pretty good. Chilled out and calm and in a good mood. 

Once again, thank-you all for your words and support. I'm not out of the woods yet and I'm still shaky. I need some sleep and hopefully get through this weekend without more kicks in the teeth.

I need to make a plan, stick to it and try and not let the little things get on top of me as they currently do.

I have got a little bit of help in past two days by talking more to those around me.

@Cod Eye Thank-you for the link, hopefully I can get round to reading it this weekend.

@Keith Houchen No offense taken. I understand the message but my brain just won't let me function like that. I will work hard to change that in the long run.

@SpursRiot2012 @IANdrewDiceClay I was on Mirtazapine last year and went up to 45mgs but it was making me drowsy so dropped down to 30mg at night and 15mg in the mornings to keep the flow going. It was the first one that made a dent with me. I have been given more in the hopes of balancing out whilst I can access to more help. I will say that it can be a bit of brick when first using it.

Lastly, I hope that you are all as well as you can be.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

What time does everyone take their meds? Do you find there's a coloration between when you take them and the shit sleep pattern you develop?

with all the MH meds ive taken, i took them 1 hour and 30 mins before i intended to put my head down and sleep, seemed to work best for me 

Right, just a few little things i have noticed and have been doing in terms of sleeping with MH issues,and general trying to feel better

I have noticed that when i have sugary foods such as cake/biscuits within around 2 hours of my intention to go to sleep, i cannot sleep, so i think sugar could be a culprit for a lot of us? it seems to be in my case, took me 4 hours to drift off to sleep last night. When i don't have sugary stuff before bed i seem to be able to drift off to sleep much easier, might be food for thought for some people (no pun intended) 

I have been writing down my tasks/goals for the day the night before and trying my best to get through them, and rating the day as a F or an W (fail or win) in terms of how i did in doing them. This is something i picked up from listening to Jinder Mahal on a podcast recently, and it seems to work. I am lazy and unmotivated, sadly (i hate it that i am) but doing this seems to help me a bit 

hopefully this can be of help to someone! 

Edited by Ralphy

I don't know how any of you have made it through their anti-depressants. Good on you, I've been on the "A to the Z" and nothing has worked at all. Exercise has did the most difference for me and manic heroin binges behind the local church here. *

*. joke.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

It always undermines what little self respect and confidence I have. I'm not out of breath as easy but I do have to face what a throughly reprehensible and awful person I am without even having any athletic prowess to fall back on. 

1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I don't know how any of you have made it through their anti-depressants. Good on you, I've been on the "A to the Z" and nothing has worked at all. Exercise has did the most difference for me and manic heroin binges behind the local church here. *

*. joke.

Not entirely sure it is sensible to quote The Iron Sheik on the subject of medication.

15 hours ago, Tommy! said:

It always undermines what little self respect and confidence I have. I'm not out of breath as easy but I do have to face what a throughly reprehensible and awful person I am without even having any athletic prowess to fall back on. 

You're not as awful person as you think. Just your anxiety confusing your brain up. You're a normal, human being.

I'm having an especially "down" cycle right now.  I think I mentioned on one of the other pages that I was Bipolar Type II.

Over the last 4 weeks, I've had 15 syncopal episodes ranging from a few seconds to oover a minute.  They've happened at work and also happened at home.

Due to this I've been admitted to the hospital 4 times, stays ranging from 1 night to 3 nights.

During this time they have done every test under the sun.  Brain MRI, CAT scan, echo-cardiogram, pee tests, ultrasounds, blood tests, cortisol tests.  You name it I've had it.  The cardio-thoracic folks also installed a "loop monitor" into the left side of my chest (well it's more in my left boob than anything) and it tracks my heart 24/7.  So far they have come up with zilch, nil, nada, nothing.

I also have ovarian cysts that rupture frequently and also have endometriosis.  I am due to have surgery on April 19th for these particular issues.

Amongst all of this I've had the flu and this morning was diagnosed with pneumonia.

I've had some thoughts of cutting and or/ending my life.  Just thoughts. 

Little bit of an update with my experience with Mirtizapine:

Since I broke my leg, I've had my leg swell up quite a lot after a day at work, for example. But the last week or so I've noticed both feet and lower legs are swelling up, a lot. I wasn't sure what the deal was until I had a look at the leaflet that came with the medication - turns out it can cause odema, which is basically fluid retention i.e. swelling.

Also, I went on a bit of a benzo binge last week and was dropping my prescribed medicine twice in a benzo haze, so have now ran out until I get a refill next week - so I surely need 30mg, not 15mg. In fact, I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and say I've...well, run out and need a refill a week early. We will see how that goes.

Edited by SpursRiot2012