Who'll be 2018's breakout star?

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Every year brings new wrestlers to get excited about - whether they're new acts, get a new gimmick, get signed to a new promotion or just get a proper push - and if all goes well, new stars are made.

Last year, for example, Velveteen Dream went from nobody to star, Aleister Black became an NXT stalwart, Andrade Almas found his groove, Braun Strowman became a fully fledged main eventer, Jinder Mahal went from jobber to WWE Champion quicker than anyone ever has, Pete Dunne became a standout of the UK division, Neville found new dimensions and depths to his act, Alexa Bliss flourished as the top woman on Raw, and so on and so on.

Who do you think will step up, or get the chance to step up, in 2018? Who'll make the most of things and become one of our favourites by year's end?

I'm really hoping this'll be Luke Harper's year. But more likely I think we'll see Lars Sullivan move onto the main roster and get himself to that mid-upper card level sooner rather than later.

• Paid Members

I think Harper's been around too long to catch on now. He's great, but there's a touch of Ziggler to him in that he's been around so long that he's probably gone as far as he will. The Intercontinental title run, aborted, then getting his high profile match with Randy last year is probably as far it goes. They've tried a couple of times with him, got bored and five years later here he is, tagging with Rowan again. I think *they think* the casual fans wouldn't bite on him so they never sustain interest in his push.

I have a feeling they might actually revisit taking the tag divisions a bit more seriously this year and Revival might either get a lengthy run unbroken with the belts or win them a few times when someone beats them but they get them back at first rematch before moving on to the next challenge etc.

• Paid Members

I could see Alestair Black having a big year, maybe even as a post-Mania call up. I expect Velveteen Dream to be NXT champion by the end of the year, if not a member of the main roster. 

Weirdly, I think Shayna Baszler might have a big year, she's still not the finished article, but I definitely see her on being booked like a killer on the main roster by year's end. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I could see Alestair Black having a big year, maybe even as a post-Mania call up. I expect Velveteen Dream to be NXT champion by the end of the year, if not a member of the main roster. 

Weirdly, I think Shayna Baszler might have a big year, she's still not the finished article, but I definitely see her on being booked like a killer on the main roster by year's end. 

Why are WWE so high on her? Is it purely the Rousey connection? She was HORRIBLE when she was on TUF, terrible attitude, terrible in the ring, has anybody in WWE ever watched that season of TUF? I genuinely always skip her matches when she was on the Mae Young Classic and her appearances in NXT haven't interested me in the slightest.

But yeah, Alestair Black looks like he could be a top star by the years end.

• Paid Members

She's got a legitimate background, which is always going to make her an attractive proposition. It's probably a bit unfair to judge her based on her stint on an MMA-based reality show 5 years ago, when looking at her in a pro wrestling setting in fairness.

She's a decent prospect, needs some work of course, but looks the part and has the UFC background. I'm not sure if she's ready for the main roster, most likely not, but she already seemed more refined since the MYC in her NXT appearances thus far, and would be an improvement on Sonya Deville. The only downside is she is 37, so is a bit later to the game than most.

• Paid Members

I can see Elias Samson having a cracking year and climbing up the card. The bloke has got a fantastic thing going with his "rock concert-eque" pre match shtick and his comic timing has been great in the later part of 2017. Add to it that he isn't bad at all bell to bell and has a decent look on him, and his future is bright(in my opinion, of course..)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived