UFC 221: Rockhold vs Romero

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Exactly. You'll take what you like from it. I like a lot more of what I see than I dislike. And although they mightn't 'move the needle' or shift PPVs to any significant degree the likes of Yoel Romero to me is a superstar. Love the bloke. I'm a massive fan of Joanna Jedrzejczyk. If she's fighting, I'm watching it live. Just like when a Shogun, Wandy or Nog would fight back in the day. Mark Hunt and Robbie Lawler are proper legends in my eyes. I'll never be lukewarm to the news of their fight announcements. Frankie Edgar = the man. Max Holloway = the man. Shogun to this day = the man. Khabib's a must watch. Dos Anjos is a must watch. You've got the new breed of guys like Till, Ortega, Tuivasa, Adesanya etc who I'm genuinely excited about. A group of warriors in the lightweight division like Alvarez, Gaethje, Poirier who deliver on a consistent basis. 

The roster is absolutely ramming with awesome fighters. And there's another probably 50 who just didn't pop into my head during this post who I love as well. As much as I do care about the business side of MMA and hope it thrives, in other ways I just don't give that much of a fuck. There's more to being an MMA fan than PPV figures and ratings. It's ultimately the fights and the fighters I like that I watch for. If I see a PPV buyrate comes in and it's really good I think 'wicked, that's good' and I've forgotten it within a minute. If I see a fight that blows me away though, like say Alvarez vs Gaethje from UFC 218, I'll be buzzing for ages off that. When you see a fight like that it makes all the white noise prelims you've sat through worth it. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UFC, and the sport as a whole was always going to plateau eventually, despite what Dana was saying.

It's a niche sport, simple as that, and as such it's going to have limited appeal that will broaden now & then depending on various factors, but I think now we are where we are.

We'll see the odd star come through who can bump the numbers, but at the end of the day it's fist fighting that we're talking about, and that is always going to have a limited appeal. 

No big deal though, you just watch the fights that interest you, and pass up the ones that don't. It's the same as I've been doing with boxing for years, and I'll probably do the same with MMA for years to come.

Casual fans will come and go, and that's fine of course.

• Paid Members

agree with David, it'll do what boxing does, it'll come and go depending on star factor and the fights made.

I think the UFC and it's fanbase were initially of the belief that it always offered better value than boxing because fight cards were loaded from top top bottom. It's true to a degree and it worked when the schedule was much smaller but these days the over saturation means fans simply can't invest in it all and keep up with what's going on..

The way people enjoy MMA these days seems to be more like that of a boxing fan, they gravitate towards the stars and people tune in for the big fights. I think it was always gonna be that way, popularity will always go up and down. Heavyweight boxing was dead in the water 5 years ago, now we've got a UK superstar who sells out stadiums in minutes against mandatory challengers. The landscape can change very quickly.

• Paid Members

Anyway, haven't seen it mentioned yet but I thought Jimmy Smith did a good job in his UFC colour commentary debut on this show. Looking forward to seeing how he meshes with Cormier and Cruz whenever he's inevitably in the booth with those two. 

Archived