UFC 221: Rockhold vs Romero

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I definitely think Rockhold outlasts Romero if it goes long but I also feel like Rogan was slightly overplaying the 'Yoel is fading' bit in the later rounds of the Whittaker fight. He slowed down but he wasn't Carwin gassed or anything and he still looked dangerous right up until the final buzzer. Rockhold has more ways to win but he's going to have to be ON the whole 25 minutes, if it goes that long. One lapse of concentration, no matter how well you think you're doing, against Yoel can be a short trip between being up on the cards and unconsciousness. 

I think Yoel might just try to blitz him early. If you look back at Rockhold's fights, as good as he is he seems to get better as the fight goes on. He got caught early by both TRT Vitor and Bisping, he had a bit of a tough first round against Weidman and even in his last fight he was getting tagged a bit in the early exchanges with Branch. It's easier said than done but it might be a good idea to jump him early. Seems like once Rockhold gets settled into the fight and is able to establish a rhythm and set a pace, you're pretty well fucked. 

Rockhold has actually left AKA now as well, by the way. He addresses it here;

Have to wonder if that will have an effect on this fight, positive or negative. 

Really interesting fight. Style-wise, timing-wise, everything. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Rockhold gets knocked the fuck out. Starting to think it will happen having watched his fights with Vitor, Weidman (I know he won, but) and Bisping recently.  I don't hate him to the point I want to see him disappear from the UFC, but still.  And Yoel is the fucking man. 

I haven't got much to add other than what has already been said. I will say I am really looking forward to this fight. As stated, it's a riveting match-up. I am picking Rockhold to win via decision or late stoppage. However, if Romero clips him in the opening 3 rounds or so, it would be no surprise. 

I am torn on who I want to win. On one hand, Romero is the more likeable of the two. It's also very rare that a fighter over 40 wins a UFC title. The last time I remember it happening was Couture in 2007 at Heavyweight. There might be another example, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. On the other hand, I do feel that Rockhold is the best middleweight in the world, and have felt that way for a while. I would feel like my opinion was justified if he wins the title again (or at least a version of it)

• Paid Members

I love the Co-Main Event podcast's new nickname for Yoel. "The Cuban Muscle Crisis" I'd be delighted if that crazy bastard sparked Rockhold this weekend. Even though Yoel has done it late in fights before, I don't think he'll be able to leave it late to go for the finish in this one. If this goes past 2 rounds I can see Luke wearing on Yoel, and getting the finish. I don't really expect a 5 round decision either way for this bad boy. 

Haha, Romero is so awesome. In today's staredown, Rockhold tried to get all macho and Yoel just smirked at him.

It's such a hard fight to pick. I've said I want Rockhold to win, just because from a matchmaking POV, I want to see the originally scheduled Whittaker vs. Rockhold, and Rob's on the mend, back to light training. BUTTTTT... seeing the Cuban Muscle Crisis (fucking hell) deliver a flying knee that sends Cool Hand Luke's head flying into the stands for me to catch it... that'd be fantastic too.

Fly out around midday Saturday to get to Perth at 2pm. Time zones are a wonderful thing. Would have liked to attend the weigh ins, as I've never done that before, but we'll be a few hours too late. Doors open at 6:30am, first fight at 7:30. I'm accustomed to attending UFC shows in the morning, but this is some next level shit!

Yeah, Submission Radio are really underrated for MMA coverage- probably due to the location, but they do a great job in everything I've seen.

Getting hyped for this. Never been to Perth before, and I get to enjoy the surreal experience of watching UFC and drinking beers at 7:30 in the morning.

Went through and watched all the fighters on the card's previous fights. Did a great job of increasing anticipation for the event. Daichi Abe is a power hitter that violently exploded Hyun Gyu Lim's face to win his last fight, I was reminded what a cool guy Ishihara is, saw the crazy fight between Dong Hyun Kim and Polo Reyes, and another wild bout between Saparbek Safarov and Gian Villante. This is going to be an all-action event (I think and I hope).

• Paid Members

yeh, im trimming back my viewing this year. Im prepared to skip prelims if nothing really interests me but this card had got something top to bottom that i like the look of. Im expecting a night of finishes.

• Paid Members

I'm surprisingly buzzing for this too. To the surprise of no one, I'm more interested in this main event than the original one. Partly because Romero and Rockhold are superstars in my gaff, but also because there is a sense anything can happen between the two of them. It's about as high level as a UFC fight gets.

Proper crushing if Mark Hunt looks rubbish during this. I tend to find a Mark Hunt loss can ruin a day.

Archived