2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Not a household name but Peter Boizot passed away. He founded Pizza Express so it's a good chance you've eaten in one of his restaurants (well, they're a Chinese company now but you know... he's credited with bringing pizza to the mainstream UK appetite. He was 89!

I believe he was also involved with Peterborough United, a 'foot-ball' team.

• Paid Members

Genuinely gutted about Pete Shelley. "Ever Fallen In Love" is one of the all-time great tracks, and "Homosapien" was a staple part of my DJ set for the last year or so I was still at it.

I saw the Buzzcocks at ATP back in around 08/09, wasn't expecting much, and they absolutely killed it. One of my favourite gigs I've ever been to.

My favourite story about Peter Boizot is from how he used to live in Jersey. A friend of mine, who passed away earlier this year (in his mid-60s), was also from Jersey, but knew Boizot from drinking in Soho. IIRC, the first Pizza Express was in Soho, the second was in Jersey. At some point, he was over visiting the Jersey branch, and the taxi driver mentioned that he was sad that they'd stopped doing dough balls, and when Boziot got to the restaurant, he insisted that they start serving them again, so for years you could get them in this one branch of Pizza Express but none of the others.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, BomberPat said:

I saw the Buzzcocks at ATP back in around 08/09, wasn't expecting much, and they absolutely killed it. One of my favourite gigs I've ever been to.

They headlined a night at the Godiva festival (A free outdoor one in Coventry) a few years back and everyone I spoke to agreed they were incredible and the best band of the weekend.  Even a brilliant set from the Happy Mondays the following night didn't top it!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, eugenespeed said:

Penny Marshall from Laverne and Shirley has passed away aged 75. 

Not only was she great on that, she became a great Hollywood director. Starting with Big, Awakinings (a film I can’t put myself through as an adult) and A League of their own. Great body of work that

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Was Laverne and Shirley ever shown here? Happy Days used to get repeated all the time, as did the other HD spin-off, Mork and Mindy. I've never seen L&S on either terrestial or sattelite TV. 

I definitely saw it in the late 80’s on BBC 1 in a Saturday afternoon slot

Lovely story.  My family knew Paddy quite well, met him a few times over the years.  A completely genuine chap, kind and interested even though he could probably snap you like a twig.

A great loss, if only because there aren't many politicians of his substance left.

Archived