2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

Mark E Smith particularly burns.

Nonce it’s OK to like John Peel once said that if The Fall made a bad record he hadn’t heard it. Whilst like John Peel I’ve not heard much of their immense output this century, I find that statement hard to disagree with. One of the most prolific, unusual, brilliant and uncompromising bands from my youth. In addition to that, Mark E Smith used to be the best interview in rock. I remember some of his caustic NME interviews as well as the records.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

IIRC, last year he was performing shows from his dressing room, because he was in some state.

In terms of output this century, The Fall were still releasing some of their better work. The Unutterable, Fall Heads Roll and Your Future Our Clutter being three that initially come to mind.

The Guardian posted some stories from fans and their experience with MES and The Fall. Decent read.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/25/readers-remember-mark-e-smith-the-fall

John Mahoney dead at 77

Love Frasier and he really played the part of Frasiers dad perfectly 

Thought he was older then that if I'm honest, he was only early 50s when Frasier started, suppose as he was playing a retired cop in my head I just had him as 60ish.

RIP

• Paid Members

He was an absolute gem of a character actor, he'd always pop up in really good films in support roles and usually be the best thing in them - Frantic, Barton Fink, Say Anything to name but three. I'm just glad he got that one huge memorable role in his career that was the least he deserved, and he was always the constant highlight of Frasier for me. Just ahead of Eddie.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He was an absolute gem of a character actor, he'd always pop up in really good films in support roles and usually be the best thing in them - Frantic, Barton Fink, Say Anything to name but three. I'm just glad he got that one huge memorable role in his career that was the least he deserved, and he was always the constant highlight of Frasier for me. Just ahead of Eddie.

Just found out he was british, though moved to the states as a young man. He was one of those actors that never disappointed and always stood out no matter how big or small the role was.

• Paid Members

My gran used to work with John Mahoney in the 60’s at the sack makers on George Street in Manchester, which is now Chinatown.  She mentioned she recognised him, but we thought it was just her being old and daft.  Saw an interview with him about 12 years ago just before she died, and he mentioned where he used to work.

• Paid Members

Gutted about this one. I only really knew him from Frasier, but it's probably my favourite ever American sitcom. It's so difficult to play someone as eminently likeable as Martin Crane, a genuinely nice, charming and funny character. 

• Awards Moderator

I hate to be one of those, but last night my wife and I had watched a (typically bleak) Black Mirror and needed a short palate cleanser before going to bed. I suggested a Frasier (I have them all queued up on a Plex server). It never fails to entertain. And then of course, I wake up to this news :(

Prodnose also linked to a cracking article about Martin's chair being the star of the show:

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/tv-radio/2017/08/martin-crane-s-hideous-chair-was-true-star-frasier

Which further links to a breakdown of my favourite episode, the Ski Lodge:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/frasier-ski-lodge-oral-history-164309203.html

• Paid Members

The Ski Lodge is an absolute masterpiece. I was singing its praises not too long ago, just an absolutely perfectly constructed farce. Frasier's realisation at the end when it dawns on him that, in all the miscommunication, not one person was actually pursuing him is just perfectly delivered.

Archived