2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

Gutted about Big Cyrille.  Considered a legend at Coventry and rightly so.

I was flying to Dublin about 10 years ago and as we landed, the bloke in the seat in front of me stood up to get his stuff from the overhead locker and it was Big Cyrille.  I turned to my travelling companion and whispered very excitedly "It's Big Cyrille", I was waxing lyrical about who he was, three degrees, Class of 87, when you hear the whistle blow, you should see Big Cyrille go with all of the calmness of a One Direction fan as they glimpse their idols.

I looked back up mid sentence and it became clear by the smile on his face and warmth in his eyes that he had heard every word I'd said.  He smiled and said thanks, then departed the plane.  I grinned for hours.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Gutted about Big Cyrille.  Considered a legend at Coventry and rightly so.

I was flying to Dublin about 10 years ago and as we landed, the bloke in the seat in front of me stood up to get his stuff from the overhead locker and it was Big Cyrille.  I turned to my travelling companion and whispered very excitedly "It's Big Cyrille", I was waxing lyrical about who he was, three degrees, Class of 87, when you hear the whistle blow, you should see Big Cyrille go with all of the calmness of a One Direction fan as they glimpse their idols.

I looked back up mid sentence and it became clear by the smile on his face and warmth in his eyes that he had heard every word I'd said.  He smiled and said thanks, then departed the plane.  I grinned for hours.

Choked me up a bit there, Keith. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

When it mentioned "Keith Houchen's diving header", I had to double-take to remind myself that wasn't you, Baz. You're firmly embedded into this forum's consciousness.

• Paid Members

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/16/edwin-hawkins-gospel-singer-behind-oh-happy-day-dies-aged-74

Edwin Hawkins has passed away - best known for "Oh Happy Day", which is an absolute belter of a gospel tune, and the foundation of a lot of modern soul music. The song was covered, brilliantly, by Spiritualised, and was an inspiration for George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and Nick Cave's "Deanna", which isn't bad going.

• Awards Moderator
17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Edwin Hawkins has passed away - best known for "Oh Happy Day"

The basis for one of my favourite Harry Hill jokes. His nana requested this song to be sung at her funeral. As the coffin was lowered into the ground, the choir started singing:

"Monday, Tuesday, Happy Days!

Wednesday, Thursday, Happy Days!..." 

Archived