2018 Coil-Shuffling Thread

Gus Mears

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading it back, yeah I can see that using "however" would insinuate that there is a link when I don't think that at all. Irrespective of Miller's overdose, an engagement a month after splitting up is Elizabeth Taylor levels of quick. I'm sure Ariana Grande doesn't need douchebags on the Internet taking pops at her when she no doubt feels awful about the situation.

The shit thing is that whilst people are arguing and playing the blame game it's another young life lost.

Ariana shouldn't get grief at all for Mac Millers death but people are crazy and with how social media has grown you truly see how wrong the world is. People have every right to voice an opinion whether we like it or not but without substantial evidence, the finger pointing, hate and misinformation that has become so normal on these platforms has to be addressed in the near future. I don't think we can change it now though, it seems too far gone.

Back to Mac Miller, I'm not one for mourning celebrities as a whole but his death has hit me like a brick. I liked Mac Miller, the first time I listened to some of his songs there was just a connection that I still can't explain now and I just don't have the words to go into how much I have enjoyed his output and how he was honest/open about the struggles he had. It just seems a waste that his demons eventually overcame him.

RIP Mac Miller

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

RIP Dennis Norden of "It'll be alright on the night" fame. Some of the ratings those shows got back in the day were insane, looking back. 20 million plus.

At IBAROTN's ratings peaks, most viewers would have had four or even just three TV channels to watch and it was in an era up until around the mid to late 90's where being on the telly was regarded as a pretty big deal with the regular faces you seen very much regarded as consummate professionals. Prior to the first one in 1977 for most of the public the idea of major goof ups by those working in the business didn't exist much in the mind. Within the BBC & ITV channels there would often be "Christmas Tapes" done for staff Christmas parties which often included out takes of people fuckin' up, be it presenters, guests, production & floor staff, members of the public etc. that was very much the source of the episodes of "Alright" alongside similar clips from overseas, a lot coming from the USA. So the idea that everyone on the telly, be it nationwide light entertainment hosts on prime time or the newsreader for a regional bulletin on a drizzly Tuesday lunch time, could screw up in front of the camera and have it shown to them in a special programme was something worth looking forward to.

It also helped that the episodes were run as very occasional, irregular one offs which meant the shows producers could select the best clips among what they had while still having plenty left over to use in future episodes that could be mixed with newly sourced material. That quality threshold meant that there was very little barely funny "filler" clips.

Such a show launched nowadays in an era of dozens if not hundreds of TV channels alongside internet video sites etc. would never have the same impact now as it did back then. It's not exactly hard to get on the telly now while other platforms like YouTube allows people to post and bear warts & all. Also if the production attitude of ITV applied fourty years ago, "Alright" would have been quickly exhausted of its source of clips within a couple of years as they would have tried to milk the hell out of it.

Another example of something that would not work any more in an era of where the magic of TV has faded away would be "The Hopefuls" section on The Word on Channel 4 back in the 90's, of young adults prepared to do disgusting things as they "would do anything to be on TV". These days people will do even more disgusting, dangerous or simply brain dead stuff recorded on their mobile phone in 4K and upload it in minutes to YouTube wanting just to get a few thousand hits.

It doesn't seem quite right to commemorate someone's life with clips of other people, but sod it, here's a highlight we might never have seen were it not for Norden's programme:

Archived