5 star wrestling

matty_kissarmy

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Is he any good? He'd have to be quite good to get over that shit pun. 

I've never seen him fail to get the required reaction from a crowd be it heat or sympathy. I really like the act and he's had a number of US and European bookings in the last 12 months so I don't think I'm alone.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SiWri said:

They'll be announcing Bram as the next member of the roster any day now...

They also managed to get their own Twitter username wrong. Unless they're being hip and dropping the "g" on purpose.

DTC5qw9XUAQEjKM.jpg

Nope, got it wrong on the banner.

Their twitter feed says they have video games in 80 countries . 

5 star have replied to my tweet about the banner

"The banner was made back when we didn't have a G in the twitter handle. Not that Eddie Ryan and Jake Hager have trashed it though, we'll be sure to get a new one."

Sure they meant to put "now" not "Not" 

Seriously though, if this introduces more people to wrestlers from the UK scene and does it in a good manner then its a positive. 

The show they had on spike last year had zero uk wrestlers on it. Did nothing to promote the uk scene. Honestly this is gonna do more harm than good , just hope the talent get paid up front 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

The show they had on spike last year had zero uk wrestlers on it. Did nothing to promote the uk scene. Honestly this is gonna do more harm than good , just hope the talent get paid up front 

Precisely this. The UK scene is arguably the hottest in the world right now, with young UK talent being given a platform in WWE, ROH and NJPW, with PROGRESS running the biggest UK show in many a year, EVE getting the kind of positive mainstream publicity most promotions anywhere in the world would kill for, and generally more eyes on more promotions, and more workers, than this country's seen in decades.

The UK scene doesn't need the "help" it would get from a bunch of proven bullshit artists and probable conmen with a track record of failing to deliver on hefty promises. The promotions that are succeeding in the UK at the moment have done so by building up a loyal fanbase, who by and large trust the promotions to produce quality shows. 5 Star have done sod all to garner any sense of loyalty, and less than sod all to earn any trust. Worst case scenario is that it goes tits up, and casual fans and families that, by and large, don't distinguish between the names of promotions and just know "The Wrestling" are burned by it and don't take the risk of buying tickets to the next show in town, which might be a better run, small-time promotion that's not trying to run before they can walk, but would benefit from those tickets. Best case scenario is what? A smattering of UK talent on a show built around imports...it won't be a good thing.

We're finally past the days where "get back on telly at all costs" are the Holy Grail of British wrestling. We don't need that any more, least of all from the likes of this shower. 

As for talent getting paid up front - I'm 99% sure they weren't last time, as there were a lot of people left out of pocket by them cancelling their bookings last year. I'm amazed anyone but the most desperate have signed on for this, considering.

• Paid Members

The show on Spike from Dundee had one memorable moment for me.  Mysterio beat Magnus in a match, after which Magnus attacked Rey from behind with a standard heel beat down.  Mysterio goes back for an interview, and the clueless interviewer, who obviously had never watched wrestling before, described the beat down as "a really nasty challenge", as if Rey had been caught a bit late by a Lee Cattermole slide tackle.  

14 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Thanks for the info @Louch and @MungoChutney 

I don't see anywhere near the amount of British wrestling that I used too and he hasn't crossed my radar. 

I think it shows the depth of talent in UK wrestling when people haven't seen a guy like Lou. In 2005 he'd have been on every show you went to but now there's so many guys out there whose work is of a really high quality.

Even looking at the picture from the press conference the other day. You've got some great UK talent in there yet you still have one of the most boring US stars of the last 10 years in amongst it. Is Swagger really needed to draw for these shows?

• Paid Members

As good as the UK scene is right now the words "Former WWE World Champion" on your advertising still carries a lot of weight. Swagger isn't the draw though. Mysterio, and RVD are the draws. Swagger and Morrison are a waste of money, but it is 5 Star so they are good at wasting money. 

Archived