5 star wrestling

matty_kissarmy

• Paid Members

It is a mental choice. You book the likes of Jack Swagger so you can get the "as seen on TV" or "former WWE Champion" tag on your poster - when you've already got Mysterio and Van Dam, why bother? He's not going to sell a single ticket to anyone who hasn't already been convinced by those two.

I'm guessing the idea is to make the show "star-studded" by getting as many names on board as possible, but that's just a money pit - and presumably they're only booked for the first show? If this is a weekly series, how are they going to hook people on week one to come back for week two when they don't have Rey Mysterio, Rob Van Dam and Jack Swagger? If it's anything like their previous shows, the imports will be booked against each other, and locals will be an undercard afterthought - but if you do that one week and only have the locals the following week, you need to give the audience a reason to care about them just as much as they care about Rey Mysterio.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Precisely this. The UK scene is arguably the hottest in the world right now, with young UK talent being given a platform in WWE, ROH and NJPW, with PROGRESS running the biggest UK show in many a year, EVE getting the kind of positive mainstream publicity most promotions anywhere in the world would kill for, and generally more eyes on more promotions, and more workers, than this country's seen in decades.

The UK scene doesn't need the "help" it would get from a bunch of proven bullshit artists and probable conmen with a track record of failing to deliver on hefty promises. The promotions that are succeeding in the UK at the moment have done so by building up a loyal fanbase, who by and large trust the promotions to produce quality shows. 5 Star have done sod all to garner any sense of loyalty, and less than sod all to earn any trust. Worst case scenario is that it goes tits up, and casual fans and families that, by and large, don't distinguish between the names of promotions and just know "The Wrestling" are burned by it and don't take the risk of buying tickets to the next show in town, which might be a better run, small-time promotion that's not trying to run before they can walk, but would benefit from those tickets. Best case scenario is what? A smattering of UK talent on a show built around imports...it won't be a good thing.

We're finally past the days where "get back on telly at all costs" are the Holy Grail of British wrestling. We don't need that any more, least of all from the likes of this shower. 

As for talent getting paid up front - I'm 99% sure they weren't last time, as there were a lot of people left out of pocket by them cancelling their bookings last year. I'm amazed anyone but the most desperate have signed on for this, considering.

Yeah, I think a LOT of talent complained about not getting paid last time. I assume any Brit doing this will insist on payment up front

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It is a mental choice. You book the likes of Jack Swagger so you can get the "as seen on TV" or "former WWE Champion" tag on your poster - when you've already got Mysterio and Van Dam, why bother? He's not going to sell a single ticket to anyone who hasn't already been convinced by those two.

I'm guessing the idea is to make the show "star-studded" by getting as many names on board as possible, but that's just a money pit - and presumably they're only booked for the first show? If this is a weekly series, how are they going to hook people on week one to come back for week two when they don't have Rey Mysterio, Rob Van Dam and Jack Swagger? If it's anything like their previous shows, the imports will be booked against each other, and locals will be an undercard afterthought - but if you do that one week and only have the locals the following week, you need to give the audience a reason to care about them just as much as they care about Rey Mysterio.

Exactly this. If anyone is promoting and not breaking things down into 'this person costs x and will sell us this many tickets / shift this much merch' then they are doing it wrong. Even if they were only paying him £500 which, lets face it, they aren't, can you honestly say 50 fans are going to turn up and pay a tenner a head to see Jack Swagger?

At least with Mysterio you know you'll get kids and parents through the door (although there's still going to be the argument that with his silly fee and flights it's still a massive loss leader).

Even if you took out all the money from the equation and it was booked right, how much would a win over Jack Swagger be worth to one of the UK talent?

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Precisely this. The UK scene is arguably the hottest in the world right now, with young UK talent being given a platform in WWE, ROH and NJPW, with PROGRESS running the biggest UK show in many a year, EVE getting the kind of positive mainstream publicity most promotions anywhere in the world would kill for, and generally more eyes on more promotions, and more workers, than this country's seen in decades.

The UK scene doesn't need the "help" it would get from a bunch of proven bullshit artists and probable conmen with a track record of failing to deliver on hefty promises. The promotions that are succeeding in the UK at the moment have done so by building up a loyal fanbase, who by and large trust the promotions to produce quality shows. 5 Star have done sod all to garner any sense of loyalty, and less than sod all to earn any trust. Worst case scenario is that it goes tits up, and casual fans and families that, by and large, don't distinguish between the names of promotions and just know "The Wrestling" are burned by it and don't take the risk of buying tickets to the next show in town, which might be a better run, small-time promotion that's not trying to run before they can walk, but would benefit from those tickets. Best case scenario is what? A smattering of UK talent on a show built around imports...it won't be a good thing.

We're finally past the days where "get back on telly at all costs" are the Holy Grail of British wrestling. We don't need that any more, least of all from the likes of this shower. 

Excellent points made, as always.

I would also add that, more than being in such a strong position that it doesn't need 5-Star, I'd say that the British wrestling scene didn't need them when it was weak, either. In fact, I'd say it needed them to not be around, because chances are they're exactly of the same mould as the showers that cost British wrestling badly back in the day, like WrestleXpress.

I really hope this lot don't do well, because the last thing the industry needs right now is this bunch of shitarses spraying their foetid diarrhoea all over everything.

If they want viewers then WWE guys are good starting points, I don't go to any British Indy's or even WWE live but I might tune in to this if nothing is on but I haven't signed up to the WWE Network never mind paying to watch British Indy's, no matter how hot the scene is.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

You'd tune in to watch Jack Swagger?

Not now but he could be rehabilitated like Laahley, especially if he has some success in MMA (even just beating scrubs like Lashley did) and he can settle into a more fitting character and if he carries himself well.

Yeah my main point wasn't Swagger, it was guys who you have seen on TV, besides Grado and a few onf the ICW mob being on a BBC documentary, the rest of the British wrestlers if you don't catch them live are usually behind a Pro Wrestling Pay Wall including ICW, so they might be better wrestlers like Pete Dunne who you might catch live but if you don't buy a ticket, they are mainly behind a pay wall and Free sports is on Freeview meaning it costs me nothing, the British guys are probably better but you really have to be a Brit Wres fan and I don't pay for WWE Network nevermind s British Wrestling fed or group of feds.

They probably want some real people watching the show live as well, I'm sure the sponsors won't be all fuckin pro wrestling toys and buy tickets to a show 200 miles away,  they might have things like computer games, betting or even kids toys if they are looking at a younger audience.

A couple of things:

The roster (as it stands now for the 1st show, anyway):

Rey Mysterio

Rob Van Dam

John Morrison

Jack Swagger

Carlito

PJ Black

Brian Cage

Zack Gibson

Adam Maxted

Mark Haskins

Eddie Ryan

Rampage Brown

Jack Jester

Jody Fleisch

Charlie Sterling

El Ligero

Nathan Cruz

Kid Fite

Lou King Sharp

Flash Morgan Webster

Dave Mastiff

Big Grizzly

Joey Axl

Tor Atterhagen

Deviation

BT Gunn

Plus, make of this what you will:

https://5starwrestling.co.uk/news/15/5_star_boss_says_three-year_tv_deal_is_"the_opportunity_of_a_lifetime"

I'm more interested in how the arena looks on telly than the roster to be honest. It looked bland and gloomy last time out. Anyone can book an arena but making it aesthetically pleasing and like a product that belongs on telly and doesn't drag the perception other brands down is more important. Defiant looks incredible from what I can see and if these guys have the dough there's no excuses to match that.

That fucking belt is an issue too. 

Archived