2018 is bloody lovely

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Found out yesterday that our offer has been accepted on a house we love and that we completely lucked into. The neighbour to this house is an old family friend of my missus who let the homeowner know we've been looking for months now. Got an advanced viewing so walked into it completely blind, not having seen any pics or anything. Fell in love with it, put an offer in that night with the homeowner. She calls me back an hour later agreeing to the sale and asking if it's okay for us to do it privately via solicitors therefore leaving out those estate agent cunts. The house will never be put up online, so nobody can see it and outbid us which is what's happened with the last three offers we've put in on different houses. Then she says because of where she's moving to, she's leaving us this massive American style fridge freezer and double oven! Had a nosey on Google and that oven is well over a grand. We're the luckiest people in the world, that's not lost on either of us.

Girlfriend had some great news a couple of weeks ago too. She's gotten this job at the Ministry of Justice that she's been after for ages. Chuffed to bits and dead proud of her, she's earned it twice over.

Absolutely buzzing. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with the house and new job.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
On 03/03/2018 at 4:13 PM, air_raid said:

I'd bore you with how much stuff suddenly makes sense but the best thing has been that she was in a heartbroken, low-in-confidence place and now I get to let out (at last) how beautiful she's always been to me, and see how happy she seems to be. It's amazing.

I won't bore you all with an update every time something happens but as of yesterday a mutual friend asked her (of me) "Is he your boyfriend" and she said yes. It was obvious from conversation that neither of us were seeing anyone else but I'm fucking useless unless things get made explicit so to find out from her own mouth that its boyfriend/girlfriend essentially made a rubbish weather/illness blighted weekend into a smiling one. I'll bore you with nothing more but after making it to 35 with a mostly mediocre lovelife and after 7 1/2 years firmly single, this is the best feeling I could wish for.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Congratulations air raid! Don't think you're boring anyone - judging from the reactions everyone's dead pleased for you! You deserve it - this thread is about all of us being able to enjoy good things happening to good people.

Thanks man. I know we're not exactly on each other's Christmas card list sometimes but you're a good bloke.

• Paid Members

Having started out the year with two hospital trips, one self sectioning and a suicide attempt the only way really was up by that stage. 

And in fairness it really has. Despite an unfortunate incident with someone getting arrested for homophobically abusing me in a pub when having a quiet pint that's since been resolved through them pleading guilty in court everything has really gone uphill massively. 

I've been to Marmozets in Cardiff and seen a ton of bands in Bristol and Bath on fleeting visits, planned 2000 Trees, Slam Dunk and Reading with friends. Took up meditation again to sort out my anxiety issues which are slowly getting better. 

I'm so much in a job I love to the point I took a shift on at 45 minutes notice yesterday just to see people because it had been a few days. Having struggled so much with the nightmare I had at Greggs and finding employment after leaving Uni this is the best job I could have asked for and doing it and a lot of the work based schemes it has means I've grown in confidence and am looking to either work towards a promotion or even maybe go back into education and look at my PhD. 

A couple of the guys are massively into wrestling too and there's even talk of a wrestlemania work holiday with two or three of them next year. 

Have my quiz every week so I can keep being the brain of the UKFF and now have a team of 5 of us plus a few others who join us as a second team meaning it's the main point of my social week. 

I've stayed away from super binge drinking and especially drinking every day, stayed well away from drugs despite people trying to temptation and got myself a group of people I really trust as good friends who I have fun with which was a massive problem I had moving back home and made me feel more comfortable there. 

I really don't want this to be a brag post at all and it totally reads that way but after the shit that 2018 was looking and how much of a spiral I was on 2018 is really becoming bloody lovely. Got a weekend in Bristol and then Worcester for a mates birthday and a uni open day to look forward too while I spend a week at my Dad's while my sister gets help from my Mum for the week with my new nephew and the three year old Adhd terror. So a week of Country walks and jogging in the hills hopefully while I keep getting fit as I can't make it to the gym all week. 

I know a lot of people worried about me on here (and I still appreciate everyone who checked on me by message) but yeah I'm fairly sure I'm in the best mentality I've been in years. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I really don't want this to be a brag post at all and it totally reads that way  

It honestly doesn't @Shy Dad, it just sounds like you are in a really good place, and that's brilliant to hear. Absolutely made up for you that things have taken a turn for the better and are getting back on track for you after a pretty rough patch. Really chuffed things are going well. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I've stayed away from super binge drinking and especially drinking every day, stayed well away from drugs despite people trying to temptation and got myself a group of people I really trust as good friends who I have fun with which was a massive problem I had moving back home and made me feel more comfortable there. 

This is so important. Glad you've made it back from the brink, keep surrounded by good people. Finding inner strength is important but we're all fucked without a support network. Keep at it man, dont ever feel like you're approaching the event horizon without reaching out.

• Paid Members

To echo the others, @Shy Dad, it's great to see you're doing so much better these days. I don't think it'd be going overboard to say that at one point a lot of us on here were genuinely worried for you, so it's an almighty relief to see you're coming through it with strength and enthusiasm. And air_raid is right - keep yourself surrounded by those good people, because you've clearly made some good choices there.

That said, I hope I get to have a shot at your title as Brain of the UKFF. Not to pressure Glenryck Pilchards, as he did an excellent job organising the TriviaBowl or TriviaMania, but I'd like us to go at it again. 

Archived