UFC Fight Night: Stephens vs Superboy - Jan 14

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This Uriah Hall stuff sounds scary. 

Updated the opening post with the new bout order now. Johnson vs Elkins has been bumped up to the main card.

Apparently the Thiago Alves vs Zak Cummings fight is off as well due to Cummings slipping getting out of a bathtub and hitting his head. 

Here's Cummings responding to someone taking the piss out of him on twitter...

I'm absolutely fucking devastated right now. This one of the best cuts I've ever had and slipped while moving from the tub to the ground and cracked my fucking skull on a handrail. I've missed most of my 3 months olds entire life! You disgust me

I'm in ER now figuring out stitches or staples. CT and everything, I'll fight Alves a soon as I'm cleared hopefully

• Paid Members

Not that I can recall. My first thought was that maybe he's been sick and the weight cut on top has just bollocksed him more than normal. God knows though. Maybe he's struggled with the cut for ages and this was just the final straw.

That's the thing. We all just assume that if a fighter has never missed weight then that means they're fine making it. But some of these guys who never miss weight are also probably killing themselves fight in/fight out and fuck knows what they're doing to make that weight. It's scary to think but we probably don't know the half of it when it comes to weight cutting horror stories behind the scenes. We only hear about it when someone misses weight, slips in the shower or pulls out last minute. Some of the ones who are making weight could be just as bad but because they hit that limit on the scales we're none the wiser. I mean you look how shit Conor McGregor looked weighing in at 145 all those times. He always made the weight and he always performed well the next night but he looked fucking awful. And there are loads of examples like him of guys and girls stepping onto the scales looking like extras from The Walking Dead. They're gambling with their health every time. You hope not but you have to think it's only a matter of time before someone dies on the UFC's watch through weight cutting issues. It's happened on a bunch of smaller shows now around the world and, while the UFC probably have better safety and medical procedures in place, they're never going to be 100% immune from it happening. Sadly it's probably a case of 'when' not 'if'. 

Happy New Year. 

That is a pisser that both Hall and Cummings had to be pulled from the card at such short notice. I am Hoping Superboy can replace Zombie as my favourite South Korean fighter. He certainly has a great style, but unfortunately seems to share Zombie's luck when it comes to injuries and if he loses here I can see him fucking off for three years to do his national service.

• Paid Members

Man, that Matt Hughes thing was pretty cool. Was never really a fan but it was nice to see him getting that moment after what he's been through. 'Country Boy Can Survive' was never a more fitting walkout song for him. 

Stephens vs Superboy was as advertised. Great fun. Shame about the result though :( loved the leg kick battle in round one, then round two was just a shootout. And unfortunately, very few 145ers are going to beat Jeremy Stephens in a shootout. He just hits so fucking hard. 

Clark vs VanZant was a decent fight. Thought Jessy Rose looked pretty good, had her winning all 3 rounds. She had answers for all Paige's flashy shit and she got the better of the grappling exchanges as well, when she was on the bottom with the triangle in the second and stuff. Don't really know what Paige does from here. This was supposed to be her fresh start at flyweight and she's lost right out the gate. The arm injury didn't help but it was a setback she really could've done without at this point. 

Usman vs Meek wasn't the best. But it was the way for Usman to beat Meek. He was always going to have the grappling advantage and with Meek's wacky offence and dangerous unorthodox aggression, Usman was best to grind this one out. Bet Matt Hughes was loving this fight at cageside. It was a bit of a Hughes-like performance from Usman. 

Darren Elkins looked great. I really enjoy watching him. He reminds me a bit of Chael Sonnen in that he just bulls forward no matter what you throw at him. He doesn't talk as well as old Chael but he's more entertaining bell to bell IMO. Michael Johnson can't buy a win these days. 

I liked the prelims as well. Polo Reyes vs Matt Frevola was a wild short scrap with a sweet KO from Reyes. Kyung Ho Kang triangle finish was good as well. 

Decent show all in all. 

Jeremy Stephens has quietly gone from "who the fuck is that guy" to a genuine contender at Featherweight.

Usman is gradually building up a similar air of invincibility to Kabib at Lightweight but it is a pretty unrewarding style for the average fan. Having said that I wouldn't be totally against him fighting (and wrecking) Colby Cuntington. 

• Paid Members

Always felt it was gonna be a bad night for Choi, Stephens is probably the one guy at 145lb you don't wanna try and get in a shoot out with.

As Wand. said, it was really fitting that Matt Hughes was sat cageside for the Usman fight because it was a Hughes-esque performance (nice touch to have Hughes introduced like that too). Usman is the 170lb boogeyman, his style isn't crowd pleasing but i like his persona, genuine chip on his shoulder. I have zero issue with Usman/Covington being made, neither is very likeable but they'd sell that one up a treat.

Darren Elkins is the man. I hadn't even realised Johnson was dropping down until he was walking out. Elkins is not the guy you want to be going in against on your first fight after making a big weight cut, if you are feeling the cut in any way Elkins will just ruin your night. Johnson to his credit looked great in round 1, you just can't finish Elkins, the guy is fucking granite.

Archived