How was your 2017?

Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Pretty good. Moved in with my girlfriend, things going well at work, went from drinking heavily every other day to being able to count on one hand the amount of times I got drunk this year. Things are on an upswing. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too bad, actually. My plans to move to London fell through, I'm still living at home and my mental health has been iffy ever since I turned 25, but things could a shit ton worse. 

I've been to many memorable gigs and festivals this year, including Download and Slam Dunk. I've managed to keep my job, despite my many fuck ups and mental health slips. My relationship with my girlfriend is stronger than ever. 

2017 was decent, but I'm hoping to get my shit together and actually be a responsible adult in 2018. Learning to drive and moving out are the next logical steps, just a shame I'm terrified of attempting both of those things. 

Crap. Moved to London at the end of last year and then moved back home in March because I couldn't get a full time job and London is far too expensive.

I eventually found a decent job in Cardiff and moved into my own flat which was nice, but said job is boring me to death at the moment due to how quiet it is.

Split up with my girlfriend of 7 years at the beginning of November. Started dating a girl that I got really attached to, but she broke it off last night.

I'm fucking miserable.

• Paid Members

Up and down.

Finally passed a three year college course, which was great, but have since found it nearly impossible to find a stable job. I'm on my third job since graduating and every one of them has "guaranteed" me hours that just haven't materialised and it's caused me a lot of problems financially. I've only got three shifts left even at this job because the hours they were proposing going forward were awful. Not enough to live on but spread over so many days that I wouldn't be able to work elsewhere to top up my wage.

The result of this is that my CV now looks like shit and makes me seem totally unreliable, which is frustrating. It's also had a knock on effect on my confidence.

All in all, I think 2017 was the year I realised that I need to make some major changes in 2018. Whether that be changing careers or moving elsewhere to find stable work I'm really not sure.

• Awards Moderator

Poor start, improved by the end, decent in the middle. Overall average.

Anxiety got the better of me at the start of the year (I'd had warnings in late 2016 and ignored them) which pretty much wrote off January - March. Partner and I finally living together after 5 years as of August/September. Work fine but unspectacular - felt a little 'same old' for the first time. Had a nice mini-holiday in Amsterdam in June and two fun weeks at the Edinburgh Fringe in August.

So yep. Coulda been better, coulda been worse!

• Paid Members

On paper it was good. I saw some good wrestling, I saw football, I went to a couple of gigs that will go down as two of my favourites, I went on two holidays to Amsterdam and Barcelona with a total of five of my best mates. In isolation I had some amazing times.

My mental state however has been terrible. I did a stupid thing and fell in love with someone I can't have. I then compounded that by letting her get too close and become my friend. Some of the best times I've had this year have been with her - nights out, both our birthdays, weddings, gigs. But every time I've allowed her company to make me feel like I was exploding with happiness, it's been followed by the crushing realization "this is far as it goes." The friendship causes me pain, but I can't give her up or hurt her by ending it. Previous infatuations like this I've solved with time and space but I can't get that because we work together. Knowing her has made me the happiest I've been for years, but at the same time, I wish we had never met.

The year ends with my 8th consecutive Christmas as a singleton and it crushes me not having someone to spoil rotten. Never mind, lots of people have it far worse. And I've got Wrestle Kingdom to look forward to. If Naito wins it will be a sign that the 18 will be the best year ever.

• Paid Members

In 2017, I existed and that's about it.

I didn't get out much, didn't travel much, didn't gig, wrestle or do much photography other than snapshots. I effectively did little other than make up numbers.

On the plus side, my friends weren't dropping dead at the rate they were last year, so that's good.

My 2017 was ok to start off with, the middle of the year was a bit rubbish as my grandad died after a long battle with cancer, my mom had a breast cancer scare but got radiation so she got better over time, the year has ended well as I have a job now so my life is turning around.

Mine was quite good I'd say. I went to Miami to visit my best friend for a couple of weeks.

Quit my job at a supermarket after 10 years of soul sucking shelf stacking and got a new job with one of the best guitar makers in the world as a guitar tech at his workshop which is awesome.

2000 Trees Festival with all my best mates for my 30th birthday.

Me and the missus are moving out of our shitty flat into an actual house with an upstairs, garden and a shed. 

Added a substantial amount to my record collection. Starting a new ambient tape-loop musical project once I've set my studio up in my new house. Cut down the drinking a bit which is making me feel a lot healthier and saving me a surprising amount of money. 

Most importantly, I've come a long way with my darts this year.

• Paid Members

But if a mixed bag, rollercoaster year for me. Myself and my wife had a pretty torrid time going through two miscarriages which was less than ideal. On the up side, she's now 17 weeks pregnant, and things are (fingers crossed) looking good. Have been all over the place mentally, but getting it together now. Just started a new job that shortens my commute by an hour and a half each way, which is ace. And I genuinely like the role so far.

Hoping for a great 2018. For anyone else who also didn't have a great 2017, here's hoping for a healthy, happy and love filled new year.

Andecent year I'd say, continued to be engaged. Got promoted early on into a role i really enjoy. Had 2 pay rises albeit minor, got to see some of Northern Vietnam when my best mate came over which was fantastic. Kayaking through Ha Long bay is phenomenal. Started studying for my next qualification and getting married earlier next year.

On the down side I'm getting a little jaded living in Asia and having to push through the 2 year mark in a job rather than switching for once is quite challenging. I'd give anything right now for some British home comforts

• Paid Members

After years of Crohn's disease dominating my life, I finally had major Ileostomy surgery in the middle of October. Two and a bit months later, I'm almost back to full time hours at work for the first time in 18 months, and I feel SUPERB. 

Despite 9 months of diseased digestive system, I've still managed to go to 32 live wrestling shows in 2017, the last of which will be PROGRESS Unboxing Live on Saturday in Camden. Apart from getting a guard rail hit me full force in the leg at a show in September, the shows have generally been excellent. 

2018 looks to be a good one. Hopefully my health holds up, and I'm super excited for going back to New Orleans for WrestleMania after missing out on Orlando this year.

• Paid Members
On 23/12/2017 at 11:02 AM, pitseleh said:

Not too bad, actually. My plans to move to London fell through

On 23/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, Slapnut said:

Crap. Moved to London

4CC2790A-9E52-4278-8994-BB4E72B3B2FC.jpeg

seriously chaps, much like I hope for everyone, I hope 2018 picks up for you. 

• Paid Members

Definitely a shit sandwich.

* Highlight of the year was the somewhat insane situation of being able to go to 50 British wrestling shows, despite not driving. Plus probably a dozen or more that I could have gone to locally and didn't bother, and plenty of nights with a choice of shows (including a Saturday with three shows in Bristol alone.) And a great community spirit of recognising and catching up with people in the crowd.

* Had a great holiday: my wife was performing in a busker festival in Northern Italy, so we spent a week driving down there in our campervan via France, Germany and Switzerland, including driving through the Alps and along Lake Como. 

* My mother in-law had some ill health during the summer which led to the conclusion she'd probably need some help at some point and, with all my wife's other siblings either abroad or with other responsibilities, we started looking into getting a new place with an annex next year, a thought process livened up by our landlords warning they were thinking of selling up. We'd just got the point of thinking at least we could put worry up to the new year when she was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. We decided that night we were going to have to move her in and get a place with downstairs bedroom/bathroom (and be in by Christmas), had our first viewing the next day, agreed the let the day after and moved in 19 days after that (which was last week.) We're now in this weird situation where we're in a far nicer home than before, and know that when we leave it'll be to finally buy somewhere, but for all the most horrible reasons.

* Christmas was pretty ace -- we went on a long-planned break to a lovely apartment on the Brighton seafront and then left it today with a lot of empty bottles and too much cheese.

* I'm off to Tokyo for the first time in less than 36 hours to see 14 wrestling shows in eight days. So that should be all right.

20900799_10154681644036105_5590794972934318822_o.jpg

20953652_10154681645611105_2589760328298263722_n.jpg

Archived