UFC 220: Miocic vs Ngannou

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm siding with Stipe too, but can't wait to see what happens as Ngannou is still such an unknown quantity. 

As is Volkan Oezdimir.  This has flown under the radar but I feel 'No Time' may have timed his run to the belt perfectly.  Is he a better 205lber than DC, nah, I don't think he is 9 times out of 10.  But DC is coming back from a vicious KO and the emotion that surrounded the no contest with Jon Jones in just six months.   He's in a weird spot as 'reigning, defending, undisputed' and I think it'll detract from his performance. We'll see.  I think the division needs a new champion to move forward, its cast in a Jon Jones-shaped shadow with DC back on top (which I'm not disputing btw, definitely the route the UFC had to take). 

• Paid Members

yeh, you have to take into account DC's KO loss. It almost feels like that because Jones popped and the result was overturned it didnt really happen. The unknowns going to make this intriguing. Oezdemir could be another Sokodjou, we have no idea, but there's something exciting about finding out in a title fight.  

• Paid Members

Fight week. How are we seeing this play out?

HW matches are always massive guessfests, but this seems like a roided up version of it. For all the talk of Ngannou, the world's most deadliest puncher, some people seem to be ignoring that Stipe can just as easily catch Ngannou with something devastating. In fact, you look at their respective records, Stipe's finishes are far more impressive. Obviously, Ngannou winning probably gives the HW division more buzz, but I really dig Stipe, so I'm hoping he does well. I picked Stipe on the poll of "who the fuck knows?".

• Paid Members

I picked Ngannou in the poll but I'm thinking Stipe the closer it's getting. When you get two heavyweights this dangerous, who can both end a fight at a moment's notice, you start looking at other things. And Stipe is just more proven and battle tested. He's been in with the best and won. That doesn't mean Ngannou won't still wallop him of course. But there's still too many questions on Big Francis for me and Stipe just seems to have a couple of extra tools at this stage. Might be a case of Ngannou getting the shot a little bit too soon. Or maybe Ngannou is the uncrowned champion in waiting. 

Oh I don't fucking know. 

Yeah, this one has come around stupidly fast. Feels like only yesterday we were watching Francis turn Overeem's brain into mush.

I'm still torn between the two. I think Stipe is criminally underrated to be honest. Like Colin touched on, yeah Ngannou hits like a fucking truck, but Stipe has 5 finishes in his last 5 fights, with only one of those making it out of the first round. This is against the elite of the heavyweight division as well. Francis can only knock out whoever gets stuck in front of him, but the calibre of guys Stipe's been knocking out is far more noteworthy than Ngannou's. He's probably got the best boxing in the whole division, but then you have the whole "touch of death" element that comes when fighting a guy like Ngannou, who up until this point hasn't really shown any weaknesses. It's weird to think that this fucker has had 6 fights in the UFC and to me he still feels like a massive unknown quantity. There's still a fuck tonne of question marks hanging over his head! He looked capable enough in the clinch against Reem, but I can't make a prediction on a 25 minute fight based off of that. It's genuinely a coin toss for me at the moment. 50/50 with who I actually want to win as well. Ngannou is exciting as fuck and probably has a far higher ceiling in terms of promotional potential. but I'm a big Stipe fan as well, something about the big dope is endearing to me.

Hope Cormier runs through Volkan though.

• Paid Members

As most of you have said, the correct answer for this one seems to be a shrug and 'fuck, I don't know'. Stipe has ran at brick walls and bounced off, got back up and ran at them again and knocked them over. Francis has just rang the doorbell and the walls fell down. 

Ngannou has so many questions over him, and Stipe has answered just about any query there is about him. This surely can't go more than a round, can it? Stipe has taken punishment and came back and KO'd the cream of the crop, but can he come back from shots from Ngannou? Because he'll have to, as one thing for certain about this fight is that Stipe will get hit and he'll get hit clean. You would have to think that Miocic has the more rounded game, based on what we have seen from both of them, and is hoping to pull this fight into deep(er) waters than the first round. I could just as easily see this fight being a double KO (almost like Fedor/Meathead could have been) as I can it going longer than 7 or 8 minutes. 

As for the LHW title, DC all the way. I want to see Gusty vs DC II.

• Paid Members

When you think about Ngannou, we still really know nothing about him other than he hits like a truck. We haven't seen his chin tested, we haven't really seen his wrestling tested, we haven't seen his cardio tested. Of course that doesn't mean these are necessarily weaknesses for Ngannou. He might be fine in all those areas for all we know. We just don't know. These are all things Miocic is equipped to exploit though so if he's lacking in any of those then Stipe will probably expose it. 

It's the same thing really with DC vs Volkan. All we know about Volkan is he can hit. The point people have raised concerning DC possibly being rattled coming off that Jones KO is a good one. But I don't know, Cormier doesn't seem the type to let a setback, even a crushing one like that, beat him. We've seen him show his mental toughness in fights a few times. Plus just with life in general, he's been through more than most. He's survived his dad being murdered, his daughter dying in a car crash, failing to make the Olympics etc. Things that would crumble a lot of people emotionally for life, he's came back from. There might be nobody mentally stronger in MMA. I think people see him break down after the Jones loss and assume he's a bit of a wreck now but I think he'll be fine. This is no Ronda Rousey. And even the Jones KO, right or wrong there are ways DC can excuse that to himself with Jones' failing the test. There's more to the situation of course but fighters almost have to justify losses in their head sometimes to get past them and DC is probably looking at that loss now as 'this guy had to cheat to stop me'. 

I'm hoping for Ngannou and Cormier wins. Expecting Miocic and Cormier wins. No doubt the best things for both divisions would be for Ngannou and Volkan to win. Both heavyweight and light heavyweight are in need of new blood at the top end and new champions would go some way to freshening up both weight classes. Cormier schooling Volkan doesn't do much for the division but fuck it. I can't go against DC. 

D.C was doing quite well against Jones for the first two rounds. You could make a case that D.C got the better of the first two rounds overall. It was only in round three that Jones started to really take control of the fight, before scoring the stoppage. D.C has also traded leather with Gusty, Rumble and Barnett, all of whom were at least somewhere near their best when D.C fought them, yet D.C bested all three of them. It was very close between him and Gusty, but that says more about Gusty than it does D.C really. 

In other words, Volkan is going to have to be something a bit special to beat D.C. For reasons mentioned above, I can't see D.C coming in a shell of his former self. There is always the possibility that he's gotten old overnight. He will be 39 in a few months time. However, age is not such a factor in the heavier divisions. Provided a fighter trains and lives correctly, and hasn't taken too much punishment inside the cage, they can continue to peak at Light Heavtweight well into their late 30's. Couture being the most obvious example. Liddell was still at his peak at 36/37 as well. Hendo was 36/37 when he stopped Wanderlei in Pride, and took a prime version of Rampage to the limit. The list could probably go on. 

Volkan might be a very good Light Heavyweight, but the odds are that he isn't Jones or Gusty-esque, which is probably what it is going to take to stop D.C at this time. I see D.C winning by submission in either the 3rd or 4th. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's going to need a bit more than heavy hands to beat DC, as the match against Rumble showed. DC has an iron chin, and can neutralise most strikers effectively. I'd like Oezdemir to win, just because 205 has needed freshening up for some time now, and whilst I'm OK with DC, the shadow that Jones has cast over the whole thing has left me feeling like I'd just like to see things scrubbed and rebooted.

That said, was not impressed with Oezdemir getting done for assault earlier. Would rather it be somebody who's a bit more respectable.

19 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

First episode of Embedded is up:

What's the deal with Volkan working with Rockhold? Is Luke not training with AKA anymore?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/mmajunkie.com/2017/10/volkan-oezdemirs-attempt-to-troll-ufc-champ-daniel-cormier-kind-of-backfired/amp

This boring spat happened a few months ago, so guess it’s just an extension of that deal?

Archived