The worst reveal in wrestling history?

JudyBagwell

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I didn't have Sky back in 95, my uncle taped King Of The Ring for me and I didn't know who or what a Savio Vega was meant to be when I put the tape in. It was a tournament that had Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker and Yokozuna in it so I was a bit confused to see some chubby little Beppe Di Marco lookalike being presented as a main eventer and reaching the finals. And against Mabel in a massive purple babygrow. 

I'm impressed you knew who Beppe Di Marco was in 1995 😂

What was The Savio Vega reveal? I remember him jumping the barrier as Razor Ramons mate.

Another bad Rikishi reveal was when he was the lesbian in HLA. Knew it as soon as "she" came out.

9 hours ago, iMPACt! said:

D'Von being revealed as the masked mastermind behind Aces & Eights in TNA. Crowd goes incredibly quiet, although I'm sure you could hear a few laughs. Hulk Hogan overselling it with his best most shocked face ever. 

I was actually going to say Bully Ray being admitting he was behind the whole thing while in the cage shouting “I screwed you” at Brooke in front of her Dad. The reveal itself was awesome and had great heat from what I remember.

However for me, this signalled the beginning of a downward spiral that TNA could never pull itself out of. Great reveal, but the follow up was shit and killed the entire company for me. Since that moment they have only lost momentum, to points where it’s amazing the company still even exists 

Good thread! In terms of reveals of mystery match participants specifically, I read something once that forever ended my enjoyment of this type of angle. That being that the ‘mystery’ gimmick is a booking tool to build excitement for an otherwise average or disappointing participant. If the wrestler to be revealed was genuinely exciting then the name would be announced in advance to garner as many buys / viewers for the show as possible.

Since I read this I’ve never once since it contradicted. In WWE 9 times out of 10 the mystery participant turns out to be Kane and the announcers duly wet themselves with enthusiasm.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Tbf the savio reveal was not hyped up, it was a late sub for michaels that wasnt even announced before the show iirc....

still shit like.

Tbf spend two and a half hours of the commentary team telling you "we don't know who it's going to be" and generally acting like DX have got an ace up their sleeve, building yourself up for "who could they have got in at the eleventh hour to replace Shawn fucking Michaels" and assume they might have pulled off something decent.... and then they wheel out a non entity like Vega????

Didn't need a six week Gabbo build to be the biggest letdown ever. Well, the biggest letdown until the field of the 2012 Rumble, anyway.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

JR telling everyone Razor had returned and it turned out to not be Razor. I wasn’t watching WcW at the time so assumed he’d left and was simply coming back. Was absolutely gutted.

The reveal is shocking but JR's promo just prior is excellent.

Archived