Sign in to follow this  
Monkee

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

So relieved you enjoyed Empire. Literally my favourite film ever, but with 40 years of watching I can't possibly be impartial about it. Glad it still has vision, impact and punch. Empire is the best soundtrack too (trivia: most people think the Imperial March is in A New Hope. It isn't) because it's marriage of visuals to music is flawless. 

Can you imagine the pressure of creating a sequel to the industry-busting hit of Star Wars? No wonder George refused the director chair (and in hindsight, would probably have been garbage). 

9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So relieved you enjoyed Empire. Literally my favourite film ever, but with 40 years of watching I can't possibly be impartial about it. Glad it still has vision, impact and punch. Empire is the best soundtrack too (trivia: most people think the Imperial March is in A New Hope. It isn't) because it's marriage of visuals to music is flawless. 

Can you imagine the pressure of creating a sequel to the industry-busting hit of Star Wars? No wonder George refused the director chair (and in hindsight, would probably have been garbage). 

That’s mental because we could have swore it was and we only watched it this morning! Must be one of those things where just seeing Vader makes the theme stick in your head.

So after  Ep 7 I stopped following Star Wars. Not that it was bad itself, just, you know, same as. So I missed all this with people going a bit mental about Kelly Marie Tran. Was there anything beyond racism that's actually in the main criticism?

Usual stuff in this day and age, not-my-Star-Wars, SJW, Mary Sue, blah blah bollocks. It didn't help being attached to such a divisive film and she became the fulcrum. Then it gets put through a racism / sexism multiplier which is just disgusting. 

Her character was a bit bland and her storyline in that film is underwhelming, combine that with being a woman and Asian and it basically gives the scum all they need to start a hate campaign.

Does anyone have a favourite bit of Star Wars merch in their collection?  One of my favourites is actually one of the tackiest.  Star Wars Christmas themed Funko Pops sit at the base of our tree.  (We nearly went with Christmas Groot Pop as the tree but a 5 inch tree was a bit minimalist even for us)

funko-star-wars-holiday-chewbacca-funko-

Far too much to mention, but I treated myself to this over the weekend. A bit like WWE shirts, I prefer my clothing references a little less on the nose:

61PPY%2BzH9CL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Outside of the toys from my youth, my favourite thing is this Beer mat I got from Olgas Cantina. I picked up a sprite and coke “bottle” as well from Galaxy’s Edge

2F449338-F09A-43A6-B437-BDF4EC5AB827.jpeg

0D9CDC48-D558-4A9D-8075-035FCE0BDFD0.jpeg

I wouldn't know where to begin! I think every aspect of my life's got some Star Wars merch attached to it. My keys have got Lego minifigures of Luke and Kylo on them; my desk at work's got a Millennium Falcon and a Starspeeder from Star Tours; if I want a drink there's an X-Wing schematics mug or a C-3PO glass; we've got a 'HOTH: Support The Rebellion' poster on the wall ... and on and on it goes.

It's probably the vintage action figures. I got the first bunch of them before I'd ever seen the films, my mum picked them up at a car boot. When I was around 7 or 8 a shop opened in our village that sold collectibles and memorabilia, and they'd always have a case of Star Wars figures, so I started collecting. They've still got pride of place in a case at my parents' house. I've never really stopped collecting Star Wars figures but those originals just hit the sweet spot. The prequel ones started well (I loved the Episode 1 ones) but by Episode 3 they'd gone so deep into random background characters I lost track. The sequel trilogy and spin-off ones were just bloody hard to track down - the 'proper' sized ones, not this Black Series malarkey (too expensive). But an action figure will always be my merch of choice.

Favourites:

- Max Rebo

- Teebo the Ewok

- Admiral Ackbar

- Leia as Boussh the bounty hunter

- Skiff Guard Lando

- Bib Fortuna

- Gamorrean Guard

- The Rancor Keeper

- Scout Trooper

... these were all decided before I'd seen the films, but it's no bloody wonder Return of the Jedi was always my favourite!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

19 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

I'd out photos but can't figure out how to. 

If you find a picture of the item online e.g.

https://starwarsshop.com/funkymerch.jpg

And paste that URL into your post it should auto-embed the image.

52 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Outside of the toys from my youth, my favourite thing is this Beer mat I got from Olgas Cantina. I picked up a sprite and coke “bottle” as well from Galaxy’s Edge

I made sure to get a full set of the bottles when we visited last year but totally forgot about the beer mats. By all accounts if you ask they'll happily give you a full set too.

Star Wars Episode 6: Return of The Jedi

Good:

A satisfying conclusion with Vader’s face turn.
The Vader/Luke/Emporer showdown as the Battle of Endor/Attack on Death Star happens is a nail-biting ending.
Jabba isn’t CGI.

Bad:

Death Star 2: Electric Boogaloo is pretty lazy. 
The Ewoks while I imagine were amazing as a kid in the 80s with Gremlins and everything, were very annoying for a 30 year old newcomer.
Getting Han out of the carbonite is a load blown way too early.
Crap CGI added everywhere, really sticks out again.

Overall the weakest of the original trilogy but it’s not a bad movie by any means. It lacks focus and like Darth Maul, Bobba Fett gets about 1 minute of screen time and dies, why is he so popular? Jango was better.
The Endor battle is fun but the Ewoks came off as a cash-in for toys rather than an integral part of the plot.
I said I won’t take the prequels too much into consideration but the redemption of Darth Vader is a lot easier to swallow before they made him a child murderer.
I know nothing about the sequel trilogy but I’m curious to see how or why they undo a pretty neat ending.

Order is 5, 4, Solo, 6, 2, 1, 3, Rogue.