Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Monkee

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Recommended Posts

Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (I know they’re meant to be numerals but bollocks to it)

Good:

The cast is the quintessential Star Wars cast. It felt right watching them.
Vader and Tarkin are a great pair of baddies.
The practical effects are ace and way better than any of the CGI the series has served up.
Flows nicely, great action/adventure film, hardly a dull moment.

Bad:

The CGI changes on the Disney+ version stick out like a sore thumb. Stuff cluttered into scenes, Han being shot first and his head stretching across the screen, Han stepping over Jabba’s tail. I know it’s a flaw a lot of fans point out and I see why. You can tell what should and shouldn’t be there.

A little too much C3PO at the start. You’d think it was a film about him at some points.

Overall I’d say it only just beats Solo out purely on the strength of the cast. The action is great, the story flows well and it’s got a lot more going on than I remember. I always thought the Death Star run and Kenobi dying were in the 5th one. 
 

The order is 4, Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to let you know, these are the George Lucas final edits. Disney has nothing to do with the changes, but yeah some of the inclusions and additions are dreadful (and get worse)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

A little too much C3PO at the start. You’d think it was a film about him at some points.

Great reading FL. Lucas was heavily inspired by Kurosawa's Rashomon, and an early draft of the screenplay focused heavily on R2-D2 and C-3P0's journey. Everything else happening orbits these two. Elements of that idea survived to the final film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just to let you know, these are the George Lucas final edits. Disney has nothing to do with the changes,

MACLUNKEY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just to let you know, these are the George Lucas final edits. Disney has nothing to do with the changes.

I don't understand why you're clarifying that? I can't see any suggestion that anyone thought they had? Baffling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I don't understand why you're clarifying that? I can't see any suggestion that anyone thought they had? Baffling. 

 

9 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Bad:

The CGI changes on the Disney+ version stick out like a sore thumb.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty clear that he means the version that is on Disney+. It's incredibly well documented they are George Lucas' changes. Do you work for Disney? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Great reading FL. Lucas was heavily inspired by Kurosawa's Rashomon, and an early draft of the screenplay focused heavily on R2-D2 and C-3P0's journey. Everything else happening orbits these two. Elements of that idea survived to the final film. 

Very interesting. Not sure I could handle a full film of them quite honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think it's pretty clear that he means the version that is on Disney+. It's incredibly well documented they are George Lucas' changes. Do you work for Disney? 

Well, I didn't think so hence my reply. However, as @Onyx2 pointed out there IS an additional edit on the Disney+ version (I watch my older digital copies, so not watched them on Disney+). And no. 

As I understand though Disney are trying to work on restoring the original un-special editions which Lucasfilm said would be impossible to do. But the rumour seems to pop up every once in a while.

@FelatioLips they got their own spin off show called Droids. Most remarkable thing about it was the opening theme made by Stewart Copeland from The Police.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

 However, as @Onyx2 pointed out there IS an additional edit on the Disney+ version 
 

Ah, so they aren't the George Lucas final edits as you hastily claimed! 😉

There are de-specialised versions out there already that are all you ever need really, you can download them for free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

As I understand though Disney are trying to work on restoring the original un-special editions which Lucasfilm said would be impossible to do

Completely untrue. The first and most thorough restoration happened in 1995 for the Executor VHS release. These masters still exist, as do the laserdisc versions of the same period. Lucas has simply stated that the most recent releases, CG wankery and all, are the definitive editions. A rumour I hear is that it's stipulated in the Disney takeover that they can't release the despecialised editions.

Edit: just for clarity I realised I wrote Rashomon when I meant Hidden Fortress. 

Edited by Onyx2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this Star Wars talk got me hot under the collar and I decided to watch Attack of the Clones, last night (I'm never making it through Phantom Menace).

I've not watched a second of it since seeing it when it was released. Some of the CGI is much better than I expected and Ewan McGregor seemed to have got the knack of talking to a ball convincingly.

Hayden Christensen is no way near as shit as he's been painted as through the years. Yes, he suffers a bit from being pure early-00s MTV Movie Award Best Kiss nominee, but it would take a really special talent to act their way into making any of that dialogue work. The romance scenes are insufferable; has that Vince McMahon quality to the dialogue where many a word is spoken but all of it jarring and a massive disconnect.

The highlight is without question Christopher Lee being a bad ass. The Yoda battle is maybe the highpoint of 1-3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I concur @Onyx2. There is no way they cannot release them if they wanted, Lucasfilm just say they can't. The last rumour I saw was for the 45th Celebration, but my guess is they won't be able to until George Lucas dies. I knew I read something about it recently. https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/12/j-j-abrams-has-been-told-that-the-unaltered-versions-of-the-original-star-wars-trilogy-will-never-again-be-released

He could have at least added some music over it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Completely untrue. The first and most thorough restoration happened in 1995 for the Executor VHS release. These masters still exist, as do the laserdisc versions of the same period. Lucas has simply stated that the most recent releases, CG wankery and all, are the definitive editions.

The DVD special edition "originals" are the dirt worst.  One disc is the out of proportion CG Jabba (he seriously gorged on the carbs between ANH and Jedi) presented properly.  But there's also the bonus disc of the original cut.  ❤️ you would think, but no.  It's presented in blackbordervision so that the image takes up 1/8th of the screen.  It's like they only included the original versions of of spite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...