Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Monkee

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Recommended Posts

Solo is completely nonessential and that's actually what I love about it. It's the most purely fun movie in the series since the original. There's no massive story and force stuff holding it back. It's just a good bit of fun and adventure. 

One thing that annoys me particularly about the prequels is they show the beginning of the Clone wars and the end but completely skip the middle so everything feels massively underwhelming. I know they flesh it all out in the cartoon but I always feel like you only get about 5% of the story in the films and it all feels very rushed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve started rewatching the Clone Wars series but never seen the film, I’ll be getting on that. I wonder if it was always intended to do the war itself as a spin off or whether Lucas just wasn’t interested.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Solo but there’s a lot I like about it - Lady Proxima is ace, Enfys Nest is awesome, Donald Glover is fantastic, Paul Bettany’s great ... I might rewatch Solo tomorrow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solo is ok. It's big flaw is the lead had no chance matching the charisma of Ford. He's ok in it, but he was pretty charmless throughout.

I've tried a few times over the years to watch all the Star Wars films starting at 1, but I pretty quickly give up once they get off the space ship at the beginning of 1. The CGI has aged so badly and, IIRC, Ewan McGregor looks exactly like an actor told to stare at a ball in a green room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Alden is really good in it but at the end of the day Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and he's also one of the most charismatic actors of all time so it's just impossible for anyone not to look dull in comparison. Replacing him is an impossible task but I don't think anyone could have done a better job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Good: 

The droid.
Mads Mikkelsen
Darth Vader ripping up.

The Bad:

Literally everything else, especially Forest Whitaker.

 

Overall it was dull, grey,  and miserable. Everything a Star Wars film shouldn’t be. My wife started dozing off an hour in and we got as far as Mads dying before we fast forwarded to the last 10 minutes and honestly missed nothing because we saw them hand the plans over to Leia and then everyone dies. It was a bad film but even against Episodes 1-3 it was a bad Star Wars film.

Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue One.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Good: 

The droid.
Mads Mikkelsen
Darth Vader ripping up.

The Bad:

Literally everything else, especially Forest Whitaker.

 

Overall it was dull, grey,  and miserable. Everything a Star Wars film shouldn’t be. My wife started dozing off an hour in and we got as far as Mads dying before we fast forwarded to the last 10 minutes and honestly missed nothing because we saw them hand the plans over to Leia and then everyone dies. It was a bad film but even against Episodes 1-3 it was a bad Star Wars film.

Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue One.

 

I know we all have different opinions like but...

I mean for one, it was supposed to look dark and gray. This was a full on war movie. Practically a suicide mission. It’s a better film then Solo, but Solo is easier to watch and more fun. But it’s better then the prequels combined for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know we all have different opinions like but...

I mean for one, it was supposed to look dark and gray. This was a full on war movie. Practically a suicide mission. It’s a better film then Solo, but Solo is easier to watch and more fun. But it’s better then the prequels combined for me

So you’re saying it’s better if I watched this first then Solo and the prequels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

So you’re saying it’s better if I watched this first then Solo and the prequels?

No, you’re watching in the right order, timeline wise. I just think Rogue One is better then the prequels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogue One is shit because it had no idea what it was, was it a grown up and darker take on war or was it fanservice? It wanted to be both but did neither well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mind Rogue One and it's miles better than 1 to 3 but it's just gap-filling for Star Wars fans who aren't satisfied by their own imagination. At least Solo had some room for narrative manoeuvre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Rogue One is shit because it had no idea what it was, was it a grown up and darker take on war or was it fanservice? It wanted to be both but did neither well.

This was exactly it. It was a complete mis-fire for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

It was a bad film

FL I've rarely agreed with you on anything and this proves it even more 😂

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Original Trilogy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battle of Scariff is probably my favourite big action scene in all Star Wars. It's everything I dreamed about when I played with my toys as a kid, it's absolutely tremendous. Rest of the film is massively underdeveloped though. Full of loads of cool ideas, characters and concepts but the film races through each of them. Like a holy city dedicated to the memory of the Jedi under oppressive imperial occupation and home to a radical rebellion causing chaos, interesting idea right? The film spends about 3 minutes there before rushing to the next bit.

The score for Rogue One is amazing though. I'd put it up there with Williams stuff.

Edited by LaGoosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think Alden is really good in it but at the end of the day Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and he's also one of the most charismatic actors of all time so it's just impossible for anyone not to look dull in comparison. Replacing him is an impossible task but I don't think anyone could have done a better job.

I can't think of a single actor who could have done a better job, wait apart from this chap - 

 

Edited by Loki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Loki said:

I can't think of a single actor who could have done a better job, wait apart from this chap - 

 

I mentioned Anthony Ingruber at the time, but since then thats been pretty much his entire schtick. He’s on that Cameo thing and it’s just full of him doing his Harrison Ford impression, which admittedly is spot on. I follow him on twitter and he seems a nice guy, but that impression is all that he’s got and people would’ve seen through it

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...