Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

I went to see it earlier this afternoon. Cinema was niceandempty. I felt some of the critters were a bit merchy and "Disney" (Porgs, racing cats and planet Glaceon) but the Star Wars stuff was Star Wars stuff and was good. I didn't really think anything to Leia's "Mary Poppins" just that she knew she had to stay alive for La Resistance.to keep going. I liked a lot of the bait and switches they did with the tropes from the old movies. Luke's X-Wing in the sea, The throne room scene, Luke's astral projection thing at the end. The "Nobody's ever really gone" bit had me in tears. Beautiful moment. I think I read somewhere that Leia isn't going to die out of respect to Carrie Fisher, and that they have enough footage to resolve her storyline in episode IX.

I thought Ade Edmondson was great, and am now waiting for the inevitable Star Wars/Bottom mashup clips to appear on Youtube. The conflict between Hux & B/Ren is interesting. Some of the comments I've seen are ridiculously bitter. I loved the Thrawn trilogy and the Hand Of Thrawn Duology. Noticed Pellaeon get namechecked in Rogue One, which was nice.

I liked that Rey doesn't appear to be part of "the family" but still has the ability to use the Force so effectively. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

The franchise has definitely moved on and is in good hands with Disney. It did feel very Marvel in places but I liked how fresh it felt in places. Soundtrack was stunning and it's pulled on the heartstrings.

I left loving it, doubted the quality after discussions with friends who claim Disney have killed their childhood and then came back to loving it.

Benicio del Toro's character is horseshite and added nothing to the film. Luke was at his best with Yoda and R2, it felt like Mark Hamill in parts. I echo the disdain for floating Leia and I feel like it should have been Holdo going to start a new resistance, especially as it was Leia's ship.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but a bit of back story on Snoke would have helped. 

RIP Admiral Ackbar.

8/10