Peter Kay Cancels Tour

Armitage Shanks

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Loved Skinner's standup. He was so vulgar, but way sharper than the laddish label he was given because he was into football. So self-deprecating and full of hate.

"I dont live here in Birmingham anymore, I moved to London

*BOOOOOOO* FUCK OFF*

And I just rememebered why."

He was the opposite to Kay, in that his stand up was quality, yet his TV was mostly shite. Fantasty Football was good early on when it was quite novel, but the show literally fell off a cliff in front of our very eyes in 98 when they couldnt control the guests and all their pre-planned gags failed due to it being live. They'd go over to a spot and the camera would be still on them and they'd go "well that gag didnt work did it?" Just a nightmare that they didnt revisit until 2004 and that was even worse. Just couldnt work in the modern era. Nobody knows who Steve Morrow is and nobody cares to know.

• Paid Members

I can't recall where he talked about this now but I remember Skinner talking once about a critic coming to him after one of his standup shows to complain about his material. Something like; 

Critic: I have to say I was very disappointed in the show. A lot of it was verging on the offensive. 

Skinner: There's only one virgin on the offensive in this room. And it isn't me.

Love that. 

6 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

His radio show on Saturday mornings on Absolute is always a fun listen.

Absoloute & Radio X between them have Skinner, Christian O'Connell, Moyles & Vaughan. 

Depending on the mood its always worth tuning into one of them stations. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Absoloute & Radio X between them have Skinner, Christian O'Connell, Moyles & Vaughan. 

Depending on the mood its always worth tuning into one of them stations. 

But preferably a suicidal one.

• Paid Members

I really like Frank Skinner's George Formby OSama Bin Laden song. I'll agree with everybody about Peter Kay's acting being somewhat better than his stand up. Viz did a great report where they'd announced that Peter Kay had been allowed to reminisce about the 90s in order to freshen up his act. They also added the term "Repeater Kay" to the Profanisaurus "n. A man of low wit, who attempts to get laughs in the pub by lamely repeating comedy catchphrases, eg. “Garlic bread” etc."

• Paid Members

Frank Skinner's class. Walked the line between being an "edgy" comic while also feeling like an old-fashioned variety act at times - but, yeah, got lumped in with his "lad culture" lot, so his comedy skills weren't always all that apparent.

Archived