Peter Kay Cancels Tour

Armitage Shanks

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't tell anyone, but practically every time I've watched one of his shows there has been something that I've thought "Ooh, that's a cracking tip", such as rolling a citrus fruit before juicing it so the membranes break and you get more juice.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Astro Hollywood said:

and in later years by his dreadful and embarrassing chatshow appearances, where he's always so obviously trying to create a 'moment' like George Best or Olly Reed, but looks like some drunk crawling around by the weatherman or 'ironically' plugging his tat for the Christmas present market.

Yeah this is spot-on and overlooked as well. As soon as you mentioned it, I remembered this 'hilarious' moment:

hqdefault.jpg

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Don't tell anyone, but practically every time I've watched one of his shows there has been something that I've thought "Ooh, that's a cracking tip", such as rolling a citrus fruit before juicing it so the membranes break and you get more juice.

Who's side are you on? Get back in line insulting his tongue. 

• Paid Members

Something I've never gotten is why people don't ever seem to acknowledge the gag thievery. I know it doesn't mean much to non-comedians, but it's my understanding that that's one of the worst things any comic can do. It's a bit like Cartman submitting Walden for his term paper with Thoreau's name crossed out and his name written on it. Pasquale got a shit-ton of heat for it, but no-one ever seems to count it as a black mark against Kay.

• Paid Members

It's his willingness to bleed his audience dry that grates most with me. Pretty lazy and shows a bit of disrespect/arrogance for his sizeable audience. Also, partly annoyed because I blindly purchased one of those re-re-re-releases (with comments) for a family member and obviously, "seen it" was the response. Fat prick.

Thankfully, with the exception of Max and Paddy, my overall experience of Peter Key the performer is him doing good work. Whether that be his Blackpool show and Phoenix Nights, which is one of the best comedies ever. "I'm getting the word... nonce" will never not be funny. Of course, Dave Spikey gets half the appreciation too. Not really given his other stand up shows a go, but a lot of that had to do with people repeating the jokes/catchphrases for years and putting me off (similar to Family Guy).

Oh and I forgot his music career. OK, some proper ropey stuff in there.

• Paid Members

I've probably disliked Kay for longer than anyone here. What year was he on Gas, saying a prayer for the ozone layer?

I was amazed when he showed up on The Big Breakfast, and couldn't figure out why people were going into hysterics when he'd "randomly" start singing the theme to Rainbow. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yep, he has pretty decent recipes and has plenty of useful tips and twists on dishes. If I'm looking for a recipe for something and see he's done one it'll likely be my first read.

Helpfully because I choose not to watch television programmes that I don't enjoy my only consumption of Mr Oliver's output is the written word which is significantly less gimmick ridden.  Don't get me wrong, his public persona is fucking grating and if I knew him in real life I'd most definitely hate him. But yeah he's a smart cook and his social involvement is pretty admirable (despite it being a fun punching bag for the junk food fetishists around these parts)

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I give him a pass in the dreadful music releases because its generally for charity.

Doesn't make it not shit though. Bit like Comic Relief- fair play that it does wonderful things for charity, but the comedy is always painfully unfunny and cringey.

• Paid Members

I think it was Astro who mentioned how he released an entire line of "How Dare You" catchphrase-based merchandise before the Max & Paddy series had even aired, before the phrase had even been given a chance to catch on organically.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Something I've never gotten is why people don't ever seem to acknowledge the gag thievery.

The stories of Stand Ups not going on stage because Kay's in the audience with his notebook are well known.

• Paid Members

I still love Holy Moly's apology for calling him the Gagpie because it's so obvious they're taking the piss with it, yet Kay actually accepted it.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2007/12/21/6182/kay_wins_apology_over_gag_thief_claims

Archived