Peter Kay Cancels Tour

Armitage Shanks

• Paid Members

His standups were fantastic for a once and done deal. But they don't hold up like most observational comedy. If your jokes are just noticing things with no punchline, it's never going to hold up. His TV stuff like Phoenix Nights is still ace though.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Phoenix Nights is incredible. I remember watching it one Monday night and had no idea what it was. There was a one-two punch that killed me on the episode I was watching. First was when he replied to the lady who asked "rose for the lady" with "fuck off." And Jerry drying his hands and making hand signals regarding what he once did with a woman, with a beutifully timed "covered in piss" when the hand drying went off. I never forget watching it and just howling with laughter. It was class. Max and Paddy is a Shawn Michaels to Leif Cassedy drop in quality. And I'll never forgive him for Geraldine. That was shocking.

As far as the reason he quit, I heard it were becoz he fell down t'stares on his spacehopper.

• Paid Members

His top of the tower gig was decent, trouble is he's done the same set slightly manipulated plus plagiarised material added ever since.

Phoenix Nights was wonderful, but there's something to be said for the additional writing on that series for Starkey and Fitzmaurice.

• Paid Members

I thought it was ok for a beeb middle of the road comedy series in fairness. Thing is after his massive commercial success he wasn’t ever going to go down a unique avent-garde route was he.

For example I wouldn’t trust a new series of Phoenix nights to hit the highs of the previous series and not feel forced. I’d worry it would feel like an over indulgent reminiscences of something that once worked and was funny at the time.

.. Which is basically his entire act in fairness.

• Paid Members

I'm not a fan of Kay himself but adore That Peter Kay Thing, Phoenix Nights and Car Share. His first couple of stand up DVDs are good fun too.

He's done some shite like that Geraldine thing and Max and Paddy, is a knob whenever he's himself and ruined Amarillo for me.

I think he's an important guy in stand up though. It was in the doldrums in the late 90s as far as TV and radio. He was a big part of the comeback and eventual proliferation of stand up on TV, radio and DVD. Whether you think that's a good thing is another question.

• Awards Moderator

Ah, Peter Kay, the classic UKFF punching bag. 

Always goes the same way: "he's SHIT! 

Apart from Phoenix Nights, Car Share, Cradle to Grave, Inside No 9. But he's shit." 

Seems like a broad agreement his TV stuff is alright. Really should lean hard into the comic / dramatic acting as he makes it seem effortless. 

• Moderators

It's his stand-up that's shit. After that first Blackpool show, the slide downhill was fucking breakneck. Since then, it's just been recycled material about remembering stuff, and cash-grab DVDs, some of them with shows that had been released twice already, to bleed his fanbase dry. There was even that DVD with the previously-released show intercut with people on the street literally talking about the jokes as he told them. He's always been capable of being a great performer, but for over a decade, he's just been a whore. There were early signs of this in the early 2000s, when the lawyers stepped in and PeterKay.co.uk went, overnight, from lovingly crafted fan-site into a shop, and in later years by his dreadful and embarrassing chatshow appearances, where he's always so obviously trying to create a 'moment' like George Best or Olly Reed, but looks like some drunk crawling around by the weatherman or 'ironically' plugging his tat for the Christmas present market.

Archived