Rich Swann Arrested and Suspended by WWE

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members

From Pro Wrestling Insider with WWE also releasing a statement on the matter. National and international news have picked up on it too. 

Quoted from PWI website:

The official arrest report on WWE 205 Live star Rich Swann's arrest early Sunday morning for false imprisonment/kidnapping and a misdemeanor charge of battery- touching or striking reveals that the victim of the alleged incident was Swann's wife, Vannarah Riggs, who performs as Su Yung on the independent wrestling scene.

According to the arrest report, the two had been traveling from an event in Gainesville, Florida that Yung had performed at, discussing her match.   Yung had wrestled last night for Fest Wrestling, which ran a venue titled Eight-Seconds.  According to the report, Swann had been critizing Yung's performance and "began getting angry with her."  Yung, feeling the argument was "going to escalate," got out of their car at 1500 East University Avenue as Swann, who was driving, was in traffic.  Swann yelled for her to return to the car, but she refused and walked away.

At this point, the arrest report claims that Swann, who had left the car as well, grabbed Yung by the arm, then around the neck, putting her in a headlock and bringing her back to the car as she screamed for help.   A witness to the incident told police that Yung was beating on the window trying to get out of the car as it pulled away and that she "seemed very afraid of the Defendant and was trying to get away from him."

A second witness claimed that after Swann exited his car, he failed to put it in park, leaving the car to lurch forward, where it struck a telephone pole on the corner of East University Avenue and Northeast 15th Street.

Based on the location of the arrest (2400 SE Hawthorne Street in Gainesville, Florida), Swann and Yung traveled about a mile away from where the incident took place before Swann's car was stopped and he was placed under arrest.

In the arrest report, authorities stated that Yung told them she was afraid of Swann "because he has a temper sometimes" and that she was scared their argument would escalate into a physical confrontation.  Yung stated that she asked Swann to pull the car over so she could leave the vehicle but he refused, so she waited until the car slowed to jump out of the car.  She told authorities that she was grabbed by the arm and brought back to the car.

After being arrested and having been read his rights, Swann (according to the report) denied ever physically touching Yung and forcing her to return to the car, stating that she did so on her own.  Swann claimed that he only wanted to return home and that they were using the GPS that was on Yung's phone and he "needed her to come with it."  Swann also told authorities that the couple had been together five years and have been married nine months.

WWE has yet to comment on the arrest, although one would suspect that given the nature of the situation, Swann could be suspended under the company's domestic violence policy, which states, "WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault. Upon arrest for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately suspended. Upon conviction for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately terminated."

It should also be noted that WWE could also deem Swann as in breach of the company's morals clause as stated by the following WWE policy - "WWE’s ability to fine, suspend or terminate a WWE talent will not be, however, limited or compromised in any manner in the event incontrovertible evidence of such illegal misconduct is presented to WWE. Section 9.13(a) of the WWE booking contract, commonly known as the “morals clause”, provides WWE with broad discretion and authority to act under such circumstances."

As of this writing, Swann remains incarcerated in Alachua County Jail in Gainesville, Florida and will remain there until he posts bond, which cannot happen until he goes before a judge, which will be sometime Monday 12/11.  Swann has been charged with Kidnapping/False imprisonment.  In the State of Florida, that is a third-degree felony, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine if convicted.  Swann has also been charged with Battery - touching or striking, a first degree misdemeanor in Florida, with penalties of up to one year in jail or 12 months probation and a $1,000 fine upon conviction.

Swann, 26, had been scheduled to face Drew Gulak to determine the top contender for the WWE Cruiserweight championship on this Monday's Raw in Cleveland, Ohio, a match that will likely be canceled as part of the fallout of this situation.  

And WWEs response upon suspending him:

''WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, and per our policy, Rich Swann has been indefinitely suspended following his arrest."

Its another PR disaster for WWE and its one that's absolutely a idiotic thing to do from Swann if indeed it's true, which considering witness reports of the incident may be a lot more true than what he's told authorities. He was on such a strong run throughout as one of the more upbeat and fun faces of 205 Live but even if he isn't charged further with this, WWE could quite easily just decide he's not worth the risk to reputation. Any form of criminal conviction from the incident would stop entry into Japan as well wouldn't it, with his connections with Dragon Gate and so? 

I wouldn't call it a PR disaster. They've acted quickly to suspend him and publicise the "morals" clause. It's unwanted attention on them for sure, as no doubt certain media will bring up past examples of whitewashing. I'm fairly certain a felony conviction will cause him major issues with travel in the future, but one has to consider plea bargains etc may bump it all down back into misdemeanor territory.

How long is his contract? I'm thinking WWE may just write him off and let him sit at home, whether he's found guilty or not.

I wouldn't want to be around Vince or Hunter right now, I can only imagine the anger.

• Paid Members

Disaster was probably the wrong word but with Linda working for the government, it being around the time of their Tribute to the Troops show and promoting unity and togetherness and numerous anti bullying campaigns one of their contracted workers being arrested for possibly assaulting his wife having spent the time before that being aggressively vocal and critical towards her its not a great situation which I guess is always the case when so in the public eye. They have moved fast to distance themselves though regarding suspension however. 

I don't think WWE's reputation needs to suffer at all. If anything they can increase their reputation if they deal with this correctly and actually turn it into a good bit of PR.

Especially with the way some companies have handled certain situations lately.

• Paid Members

I feel for his wife big time here. Suffering from Domestic Abuse is a terrible thing to go through. As for WWE, it's no loss. If none of this had even happened, yet they stopped using him tomorrow, nobody would even notice. The whole division is a complete waste of time, and I'd be amazed if anyone was actually disappointed if they weren't able to see another WWE Crusierweight match. Especially one involving the all singing, all smiling, Rich Swann. I knew there was a reason I always had a desire to slap the fucker. 

No big loss at all, and wI'll barely make a ripple outside of the wrestling world, if it was someone like Reigns or Cena it would of been a story but Rich Swann is such a non entity in the grand scheme things, heck theres probably people who watch WWE who dont even know who he is.

WWE have done all they needed to do given the situation

The only thing it affects is the actual Cruserweight division and title assuming he was supposed to beat Gulak on this weeks Raw and then fave Enzo next week that will have to be changed and will be interesting to see how they explain it away on TV

Archived