Help a lifelong wrestling fan appreciate football

Maikeru

• Awards Moderator

It’s quite easy to get into if you learn the few basics of the game:

1) You’ve got to hold and give (but do it at the right time)

2) You can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line

3) They’ll always hit you (and hurt you), defend and attack

4) There’s only one way to beat them: get round the back

Some of these responses are very helpful, cheers. Have always had the impression many football fans are not particularly amused at being asked to explain the game's appeal to non-fans; I appreciate you having the patience and taking the time to do so. 

I'd certainly recommend going to see your local non league team for a more "Purist" sense of a football community.  I'm of the age where the only way to see your team was to go to the games, or hope Match Of The Day had their camera crew there.  Of course, now, every game is captured by the cameras so I suppose it's easier not to support your local team.

Alan Hansen said the best goal he ever scored for Liverpool was against Manchester United on Boxing Day, but there were no cameras filming it. Unthinkable now!  MOTD used to get letters of complaint as to why they covered a nil nil and not a barnstorming game, It was simply because they didn't have enough crews to film any more than 3 or so games.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'd certainly recommend going to see your local non league team for a more "Purist" sense of a football community. 

Fully agree with this. Up here we have the likes of Darlington, Bishop Auckland, Dunston, Soennymoor, North & South Shields.. I’ve got friends and fam in all of these areas, all of which are within a couple of leagues of each other, some in the same. I love non-league, a shit club house with 30 people in none of which you will ever want to get to know outside of that club house for various reasons but the footy craic is always great with a pint and a budget buffet.. love it 

Archived