Help a lifelong wrestling fan appreciate football

Maikeru

Been a wrestling fan since I was six, never managed to get in to football despite my dad and brother being massive Man U supporters growing up. Something about it just didn't appeal; perhaps because it just wasn't colorful enough or the players didn't come across as larger than life like the wrestlers did. What most people seemed to see as a distinct advantage one had over the other (i.e. being a real sport) just didn't seem to make a difference for me. 

Now, as a grown adult, current WWE is no longer larger than life for me and I rely heavily on classic stuff, NJPW and the Observer to sustain my interest. I must admit to sometimes feeling a bit envious of the very large number of adult football fans in this country who have been able to maintain just as much passion for their hobby as they had as kids - not to mention living in the best country in the world to be a football fan and enjoy multiple live games with their disposable incomes. 

I've been to a couple of Utd games with my dad's season ticket. They were dull 0-0 draws against Crystal Palace and Burnley with heavy defense throughout. Old Trafford's ok; I understand it doesn't have the best reputation for passionate home fans. I had a good enough time, but nothing made me wanting for more. 

I get the impression that 90% of the appeal in football is about seeing your team win, the other 10% of the appeal is appreciating the skill of the players - whereas with wrestling this rule is probably reversed. I get the impression few people are interested in watching matches where they have no vested interest in one of the teams involved; unlike with wrestling there's also no appeal in watching classic matches from years gone by. It also seems to evoke such strong emotions in fans compared in wrestling that, on the one hand, can mean one day your're on a massive high, but seriously depressed on another. It's something I just can't get my head around as a wrestling fan; not sure I'd ever want to let something that ultimately has no real effect on my own life control me to that extent. 

I'm interested to hear from anyone who's managed to cultivate and sustain a passion for both wrestling and football. Do you enjoy them in completely different ways or do they have any similarities at all in how they entertain you and fulfill your hobby needs? Is trying to get passionate about football as an adult who didn't cultivate that passion throughout their childhood akin to trying to do the same with wrestling (i.e. almost impossible), or do you know people who've managed to do it? 

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sounds like you are treating it as a form of entertainment. It isn’t.

So what is it then?

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

to be brutally honest, you do sound like a Man Utd fan. 

Lol, others have told me similar. :-) Maybe that explains the poor atmosphere at Old Trafford. 

• Paid Members

Without a shadow of a doubt, Its a game of 90 minutes. Some would say a game of two halves, but no matter what happens footballs the winner at the end of the day. As far as what happens when the whistle blows, for me, you got to get around the pitch, but really get in and around the box whenever you can. But that's the option you have. If I was a mod on this forum, I would literally would bite your hand off if you did this thread after Christmas.

• Paid Members

hqdefault.jpg

"Oh, those Brazilians, you know? Circa 1970? Broke the mould. Theory out the window. Free expression of football. Uncategorisable. Is that a word? It is now! You know? Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie. Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous."

If your not into football, how about try getting into an American sport - Basketball, Baseball, American Football or Ice Hockey. The NFL especially has pro wrestling type appeal with all the hype and such. Especially for the Super Bowl. Baseball is a fun sport to follow too and fairly easy to understand once you know the rules. If your into stats you can get into those. Basketball is a great fast paced sport. Hockey (NHL) airs a few games each week on Satellite on the "Free-sports" channel IIRC. Trying to get into football when its omnipresent in the U.K. I'd say isn't that difficult. But if the lack of excitement isn't there I recommend looking at US Sports as an alternative. Just watch a few YouTube clips and see if anything appeals. Does historical football like from the 70s etc appeal? I think one of the ITV channels showed repeats of the Big Match (may be on BT now though) which are fun. Football had more characters back then (Cloughie, Shanks, Big Mal to name just a few) and it was more the people's game then too. I think the culture around football like sticker and card collecting etc forms a strong part of the attachment to football so it will be tough to replicate that as an adult. You just have to find the aspects of the game which interest you. Maybe see a local non league team but the whole razzmatazz of pro wrestling won't be there. But it might get you into football by starting at grassroots so to speak could get you interested. Although really you need to see something where the fans are really into it and the players are putting 120% effort in like in a derby or something. That would maybe match the hype you'd see from wrestling.

• Paid Members

If you're not into football now, and you could never get into it as a kid, there's an extremely high chance you'll never get into it now.

As Keith says, it isn't a form of entertainment (although it definitely can be). I'd say with most people it closely resembles religion.

It depends whether you want to be attached to a club (which almost makes it a form of religion) or appreciate it as a neutral (in which case it is entertainment). The difference being if its your football club you will have joy of winning and despair of losing which makes it personal. As a neutral you enjoy the spectacle for what it is without any attachment to any team, so you enjoy it but without the emotions.

Try watch a few premier league years and football documentaries to understand the (recent) historic  stuff, follow and support a club, maybe attend a derby where there is likely to be an atmosphere (even at Old Trafford) and that may give you a better idea. I do think though there is a big difference between watching games on TV and in person, some people I know have been to games and haven't really enjoyed it (non-supporters) whereas my other half hates football but has been to games and enjoyed it much more in person. 

Archived