Biggest Pop Outside Of Wrestling

rubbafish

What is the biggest pop you have witnessed or heard? The one that still makes the hairs on my arms stand is the moment at Download 2011 when Pendulum drop 'Voodoo People' in the middle of 'Blood Sugar'. Even the haters who despised the band being on stage cheered for that moment.

The moment is captured here:

• Paid Members

Biggest pop at a gig I can think of was when Justice finally did Phantom Pt 2 at the end of the encore after they'd spent pretty much the whole of their set teasing it in places. They knew what everybody had gone there for, and certainly made them wait for it. This is from the tour before the one I went to. They do Phantom Pt1 right at the beginning, then pad it out for an hour with all their other stuff.

• Paid Members

In person, it was probably the time 2002 version of QOTSA came charging out at the Barrowlands with Feel Good Hit Of The Summer. Was probably tied for the best gig I've been to (R.E.M. in 2005 being the other), until I witnessed Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds haunt the Hydro a few months ago. Still, I've never quite witnessed the sudden burst of mayhem that ensued the second QOTSA hit the opening note to that song - with beer and bodies and voice boxes flying all over the place. The crowd noise and energy throughout was such that even Nick Oliveri had to tell us to settle it down 2/3 through the set. Just a band on the cusp of becoming massive and the fans were there for every note. First gig I paid to watch too, so what a lucky bastard.

I fully realised I saw something special that night, when I watched them at the same venue about 9 months later and it was a bit soulless, in parts. Even Homme noticed and had a word.

• Paid Members

The ripple of celebration at the Etihad as first of all the QPR fans realise they're going to be safe whatever the result then Aguero gets that winning goal at the end of the 2011-12 season is pretty damned impressive.

Agreed on the Aguero one. Absolute stand out moment in all my years watching football, just sublime.

For me, it was the crowds reaction of the crowd to the gongs that introduce Aerodynamic by Daft Punk at Hyde Park. Fucking phenomenal.

As well. Ian Brown 2004 in fucking ESHER. Hadn't played any Stone Roses songs in forever. The bassline to I Wanna Be Adored rolls in first song. Forget your fucking 'reunion' shows from the other year. THAT was a pop.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

For me, it was the crowds reaction of the crowd to the gongs that introduce Aerodynamic by Daft Punk at Hyde Park. Fucking phenomenal.

I was at their Leeds gig the day after. Fantastic. Probably the best gig I've ever been to, although it's a toss up between that and Brian Wilson at Glastonbury in 2005.

The moment Mikel Arteta picked up the ball near the Bullens Road side of Goodison and unleashed a 40 yard piledriver out of nowhere into the corner of the Gwladys Street net to put us 2-0 up on the night and level in the tie with Fiorentina back in 2008 is a noise unlike anything I have ever experienced in 20+ years of going to see Everton. I genuinely went deaf for a good 5 minutes after the goal went in the noise was that loud

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

in terms of music, pop music has massive ones. Even the "Ladies and gentleman, Mr Elton John!" One is huge.

When I saw this thread title, that's the first thing that came to mind.

But continuing the trend of concert pops, and using an example that I bet inspired Justice's superb encore posted by @jazzygeofferz above, this one stands out for me as it has a few big pops: Daft Punk's encore from their Alive 2007 show.

Sadly I wasn't there live (my god I wish I was), but the roar of the crowd when those damn robots finally drop Together, throw in a vocal sample of One More Time, tease the riff from Music Sounds Better and then drop that track- makes the hairs on my arms stand up every single time. I can only imagine how incredible it would've been to be there. Start touring again already you fuckers.

• Paid Members

I was on the bus with my three year old nephew, and this bloke on the seat behind was mouthing off at this pregnant black woman and her wife, talking about how they should go back to Lesbos, in Africa. No-one was doing anything to help, and a couple of white lads were even filming it with their phones. I was about to step in, when the young lad stood up on his chair, and placed his hand on the yobbo's mouth. "All of us deserve respect, even you, and I ask that you leave these people in peace" he said, and the bloke (who was in a business suit) started crying tears of absolution. The pop on the bus that day made Austin returning to smack the Rock with a chair sound like my old pop gun.

• Paid Members

There is no real way of following that but I'll give it a go. 

It was the summer of 1989. England were getting what was the customary thumping from the Aussies in the Ashes. Coming to Trent Bridge the Ashes already had a seat booked next to Steve Waugh's beer for the flight home.

The first day of  the Test was one that crushed the remaining soul out of England and the crowd as Mark Taylor and Geoff Marsh batted through the whole day for 329. After tea when the crowd was fully refreshed after a long days drinking a game had broken out of throwing a football around the crowd. The Notts stewards were distinctly unamused and tried to get the ball from the crowd to no avail. The game came to an abrupt end though when the ball was thrown high into the air and came down right on top of a policeman's head, knocking his helmet right off. The pop from the crowd was mental as the Bobby scrambled to try and regain his dignity  whilst scowling at the cheating and laughing crowd. 

• Paid Members

My mum and dad always used to re-tell the story of when they went to see somebody in concert. In between songs, Michael Aspel suddenly appeared on stage with his big red book- and the crowd let out a big OOOOHHHHHH. Michael handed the book to him and uttered those famous words- 'This is your life'. The crowd waited in anticipation for the performer to accept, but instead he turned away from the book and instead pointed to the crowd, and roared 'THEY are my life!'. The crowd, as my parents would say, went absolutely ballistic and it was the biggest cheer they've heard at a concert.

The performer in question? Gary Glitter.

I wonder why he wasn't up for Aspel digging around into his life? *thinking emoji*

Archived