Wrestlemanias ranked best to worst (by average match stars from Observer)

Maikeru

3 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Just as a side question, has anybody enjoyed the last two Wrestlemania's?

For me, it's gone from the most anticipated event of the year, to "urgh it's going to take me a week to watch the damn thing" now.

In my mind, they have completely ruined it by making it close to 7 hours long including pre show, and there insistence of getting everybody on the card.

It should be close to 4 hours (forget the pre show) and just have 8/9 of the biggest matches available to them.

XXXII, to be honest was never really going to be memorable. I think there's on average one out of every 5 or so where it is as a whole, take it or leave it, They had so many people injured like Seth Rollins, John Cena, Cesaro & Neville to name a few. Don't get me wrong, AT&T Stadium looked amazing. But whilst WrestleMania XX was 5 hours, at least it didn't have so much filler. I don't get the need to script The Rock down to the length of his pauses. Then there was the match with Erick Rowen. Which for me is interesting as glorified squash or not, he can claim to have had a one on one match at WrestleMania whereas there's a few guys who've been there a few years like Dolph Ziggler & Kofi Kingston who never have. Followed by a main event people were never going to like to the point the only cheer Roman Reigns got was the Spear to Stephanie.

XXXIII I enjoyed a lot more as it did have a lot more memorable stuff and it'll be significant for me as the first one I stayed up to watch live. It had some good stuff that led to The Hardy Boyz return which I was trying so hard not to scream the house down so late. I'd say it ranks a lot better than the previous year. I ultimately didn't watch it through as my Network was playing up and skipping backward during the Bray Wyatt v Randy Orton entrances. Couldn't be bothered to stick it out, so I just went to bed and watched the rest in the morning. Whilst I wouldn't rank it among the top ones. It certainly was an improvement

I agree with you. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. With the Brand Split returning, it makes more sense for the dual brand shows to be 4 hours to try get both some equal amount of time. I find it's justifiable for the Royal Rumble in particular as it means they can now have a standard 3 hour PPV amount of matches alongside the eponymous match on the show.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Louch said:

Match quality doesn't tell you show quality. An example woud be mania 4 was a set up for the man event, it needed all those matches, to make one really matter.

Rick I'm with you on savage vs crush, at the time had seen nothing like that before

Good point. It irritates me so much how much emphasis is put on match quality these days. 

Yes, it may appeal to a certain hardcore demographic, which admittedly is making up a bigger percentage of the fanbase these days as the viewership is generally smaller than it has been. But Christ on a bike, I'd rather watch Skinner v Owen Hart from Wrestlemania 8 that most of what they serve up these days.

Another over simplistic way of looking at it was that the best Wrestlemanias were from 1 to say 8, and 14 to 18, as those were the ones people most wanted to see. 

• Paid Members
On 07/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, Louch said:

Match quality doesn't tell you show quality. An example woud be mania 4 was a set up for the man event, it needed all those matches, to make one really matter.

Still a fucking awful show though. Bad example, Mania IV is boring as shit.

Mania VIII being that low is bollocks too. There was some forgettable filler but nothing totally terrible and most Manias would kill to have two matches with the drama of Piper/Hart and Flair/Savage.

Like that Mania 19 is ranked so highly though - I feel hardly anybody talks about it but it was one of my favourites. Sometimes I think only Jericho vs HBK gets any love but I found most of the big matches really enjoyable.

But Mania 17 is the best. I cant think of many US wrestling shows that had five matches as superbly fun and diverse as TLC2, Benoit v Angle, Shane v Vince, Taker v HHH and Rock v Austin. Sod star ratings.

The early Mania's with the 2-3 great matches with some other short, more character based ones were far easier to watch than todays 5 hour marathon with everyone trying to outdo each other and have a vaunted "***** match" by kicking out of each others finishers multiple times, and the show just become a chore to sit through.

Archived