MMA's Best: KO Punch Power

Carbomb

• Paid Members

With Shane Carwin being mentioned as a potential alternate for the Bellator HW championship tournament, it leads me to wonder who might be considered to have the most dangerous fists in MMA history. Certainly, Carwin himself was known for throwing nukes on a regular basis, although it clearly wasn't enough by itself to get him a world title. But a heavyweight with that kind of knock-out power must be absolutely terrifying. I know boxing heavyweights are more likely to be much more dangerous, as they have technique partnered with their power, but for MMA overall, it seems Carwin's in with a shot.

However, looking at things P4P, I'm thinking that Rumble Johnson and Dan Henderson must also be in with comparable shouts to be considered to have the most KO power of any MMA fighter ever, possibly even more so, when you consider that whilst the lower weight divisions are likely to have fewer guys with one-shot KO power, the resistance to being KO-ed doesn't diminish in the same proportion, so it becomes much more difficult to knock someone out. Johnson's destruction of Gustafsson, who is an elite fighter himself, showed just how scary his power is, and with Hendo, you don't need to look much further than the Bisping KO, which I've seen quite a few people refer to as the most brutal ever - and Bisping doesn't have a glass jaw.

Who else comes to mind when you consider MMA's biggest KO artists?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I'm guessing the heavier weight fighters are going to dominate this, and understandably so. So I'll throw in a couple of little big hitters in Jeremy Stephens and the aptly named John 'Hands Of Stone' Lineker. Really, really wouldn't want a dig off either of them. 

And another that has to be mentioned is Paul Daley. Everyone knows he's heavy handed but, fuck me, you look back over his career, Semtex has some of the most brutal one shot knockouts in the history of the game. 

Just a couple of examples;

1.gif

method=get&s=paul-daley-scott-smith-gif-

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Thing is as well, Scott Smith was known for his toughness and durability. Daley has the kind of power that puts away guys who don't usually go down easily. 

Even recently, he stopped Lorenz Larkin with punches. Larkin has been in with dangerous and lethal strikers the likes of Douglas Lima, Jorge Masvidal, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Robbie Lawler and they couldn't put him away. Daley crumbled him. 

• Paid Members

Ooh, forgot Manhoef. It's so bizarre to think this guy has such scary power, yet would probably die if he took one of his own shots, his chin is that glassy.

Hunt, Rampage, and Big Country are all great shouts, and I guess Jamie Varner, Abel Trujillo, and prime Johny Hendricks would also be in contention.

If pressed, I would nominate Hendo above all. Despite once been nicknamed "decision Dan" on forums during his Pride stint, his trademark H-Bomb won him several notable fights later on in his career. It played a significant role in establishing him as a top 10 of all-time fighter. It bailed him out against Shogun (2nd fight), Feijao, and Fedor. He was in serious bother in all of those fights before landing big. There was also of course the Bisping knockout; which might be the most famous knockout in UFC history. He also knocked out Wanderlei in 2007, when that still meant something (Wanderlei was past it by this time, but he was by no means a shot fighter)

My other picks have been mentioned; Daley, Hunt, Carwin. Perhaps Robbie Lawler deserves more of a shout as well. In particular. his knockouts of Lindland and Mannhoef in Strikeforce were brutal. 

Edited by jimufctna24